The MT-07 Forum

Installation heated grips

Max Colombié

Max Colombié

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to setup next week some heated grips and I would like your opinion for the wiring. Where do you think I should wire the system? I was thinking to use the hot wire from my turn signal and connect the negativ to the chassis. However I'm afraid that the current would be too high (almost 3A) and fry the wires. (I use leds turn signals not bulbs tho).

I was also thinking about maybe using a relay to have the + and - coming directly from the battery. But it may be overkill.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks !

Max

• Global Moderator

I have the Yamaha heated grips and they connect directly to the battery.  I would follow the instructions with the grips you get.  They should automatically shut off when the bike is not running and there is any voltage drop.  The turn signal wire ui definitely too small for that amperage draw.  

Max Colombié
45 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I have the Yamaha heated grips and they connect directly to the battery.  I would follow the instructions with the grips you get.  They should automatically shut off when the bike is not running and there is any voltage drop.  The turn signal wire ui definitely too small for that amperage draw.  

The thing is I have BikeMaster heated grip and they don't stop when the voltage drop.
Then I have to use a relay I guess. Maybe I can upgrade my headlamp for a LED? The  current reduction might be enough. I'll do some research

Max Colombié

The led headlight seems to draw as much current. I don't have any option left than going for the relay I guess.

• Global Moderator
11 minutes ago, Max Colombié said:

The led headlight seems to draw as much current. I don't have any option left than going for the relay I guess.

I think that is the safest way to go.  It will be a bit more work but you will not have to worry about melting any wires.  

Those grips only draw 3A total? 36W between the 2 grips, doesn't seem like much heat. 

A relay is not only the safest way to deal with it, but also allows you to use properly large wires so you have no loses between the voltage supply and the hungry grips. Don't forget a fuse, preferably close to the battery

You can use the accessory plug to switch the relay so the grips can't be left on.

14 hours ago, Max Colombié said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to setup next week some heated grips and I would like your opinion for the wiring. Where do you think I should wire the system? I was thinking to use the hot wire from my turn signal and connect the negativ to the chassis. However I'm afraid that the current would be too high (almost 3A) and fry the wires. (I use leds turn signals not bulbs tho).

I was also thinking about maybe using a relay to have the + and - coming directly from the battery. But it may be overkill.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks !

Max

Didn't it come with instructions?

Beemer

Sorry to hi-jack slightly, but very relevant.

I noticed that Yamaha sell a connector to connect heated grips directly to the Aux plug. I also note that the fuse for this is 2A which I would have thought would have ruled out being able to use it for heated grips. However, looking at the instructions for the OEM Yamaha heated grips, it suggests that on full power in the these use just 22W which is just slightly over 1.8A. Does this not seem very very little for what most people say is an effective heater?

Yamaha_Heated_grips__64463.1442940347.10

Max Colombié
13 hours ago, Beemer said:

Didn't it come with instructions?

The instruction consist of :

1- Install the grip

2- Wiere the grip to the LCD display

3- Wire the cables or ask your dealership

It's the worst instruction I ever saw

Max Colombié
5 hours ago, Xom said:

Sorry to hi-jack slightly, but very relevant.

I noticed that Yamaha sell a connector to connect heated grips directly to the Aux plug. I also note that the fuse for this is 2A which I would have thought would have ruled out being able to use it for heated grips. However, looking at the instructions for the OEM Yamaha heated grips, it suggests that on full power in the these use just 22W which is just slightly over 1.8A. Does this not seem very very little for what most people say is an effective heater?

At least it's lower than the bikemaster's one:

bikemaster heated grip specs.png

• Premium Member

I have had better luck using gloves with thin palm material so I can feel the heat...using winter gloves are thick and wont transfer heat to your hands... same thing goes for heated gear, use it as close to your body as possible preferably the first layer after putting on your fancy underwoos... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

7 hours ago, Max Colombié said:

The instruction consist of :

1- Install the grip

2- Wiere the grip to the LCD display

3- Wire the cables or ask your dealership

It's the worst instruction I ever saw

In their defense, do spark plugs come with detailed instructions? What type of instruction manual comes with a water pump? Headlight bulb? Standard replacement grip? If they're going to go to the trouble to print out instructions they might as well do a good job of it, but many things don't come with instructions at all, for a reason. 

AlbatrossCafe

Wire it to the battery. Use a relay or have a sticky note reminding you to turn it off.

My grips have a 15A fuse inline coming off the battery. There is no hot wire for anything else in the dash that you can safely tap into to give you that much power.

Archived