The MT-07 Forum

MSF Advanced Rider's Cource (ARC)

aeisan

Has anyone on here taken the MSF ARC?  How "advanced" is it?  What level of experience would you say a rider should be at to take it?  

I'm trying to decide if I'm ready to take it or not.  I see on the TN.gov website they mention a Basic Rider Course Two (BRC2), but I've never seen this offered locally.  All I usually see open for registration is the BRC or the ARC.  

A little about my experience:  I feel like I'm in an awkward spot with my riding experience.  I rode for about 5 years back in my early to mid 20s; that was about 10 years ago.  I rode a 1998 Kawasaki EX250 (aka Ninja 250) for about a year then rode a 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 for the next 4 years to follow. So after about a 10-year hiatus I'm back riding the FZ-07 which I've been on for about 800 miles now over the last 5 weeks or so.  In that time, I've had to deal with what I would call three "emergency" situations on the road; two involved extreme braking and one involved extreme swerving. I think I handled them very well and my past experience allowed me to instinctively call on proper clutch, steering and braking mechanics.  

That said - I do not consider myself an advanced rider yet by any stretch of the imagination.  Maybe intermediate.  So, I'm curious about this ARC.  Anyone that's ever taken it, if you can provide some detail as to what it entails I would appreciate it!  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

It's a great course. I had taken the basic course and about a year later taken advanced and learned my bike and how to handle it much better. The advanced course builds on all of the skills that the basic rider course teaches but at 25-35 miles per hour. It also teaches what causes crashes and things you can do to avoid them. I highly recommend to continually take classes to sharpen and hone skills on motorcycles. I can definitely tell the difference between riders on the street that have no classes at all or have not learned from them. A good track day won't hurt either.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

• Premium Member
It's a great course. I had taken the basic course and about a year later taken advanced and learned my bike and how to handle it much better. The advanced course builds on all of the skills that the basic rider course teaches but at 25-35 miles per hour. It also teaches what causes crashes and things you can do to avoid them. I highly recommend to continually take classes to sharpen and hone skills on motorcycles. I can definitely tell the difference between riders on the street that have no classes at all or have not learned from them. A good track day won't hurt either.
^ This... 
I'd think with what you've shared with us so far, your more than ready for the ARC

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

Well for anyone in the SoCal area, there's Skilldayz.
He does go across the country if there's enough interest, you'd just have to contact him to see.

Like the website states, it works on: Braking, Cornering, Visual Skills, Throttle Management, Fear Management, Confidence Level, Low Speed Abilities and more. 

You use your own bike and gear. He lectures then puts you to practice, and it runs all day (8 hours). It's great stuff if you really want to get into the technicality of great form. He also takes photos and video so you can see how you're doing. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
Well for anyone in the SoCal area, there's Skilldayz. He does go across the country if there's enough interest, you'd just have to contact him to see.

Like the website states, it works on: Braking, Cornering, Visual Skills, Throttle Management, Fear Management, Confidence Level, Low Speed Abilities and more. 

You use your own bike and gear. He lectures then puts you to practice, and it runs all day (8 hours). It's great stuff if you really want to get into the technicality of great form. He also takes photos and video so you can see how you're doing. 

This looks awesome. The closest real city to me is Palm Springs though... might try to hop in one if he comes out this way.

• Premium Member

For sure! Maybe hit him up and see if he'll be willing to meet you down there? I don't know if he travels out there unless requested?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I took the ARC this weekend. I did the MSF last June, and ridden about 1750 miles since getting my FZ07 in August.
It was a lot better riding on your own bike, and even after just 5 hours on the range I feel more confident with what I learned. As one of the previous posters said, it's similar exercises but at higher speed. You practice emergency braking, and various styles of leaning, cornering, swerving etc. In Illinois it's a $23 course so you can't go wrong!

Archived