The MT-07 Forum

Clutch is slipping

cruzian3

My clutch is slipping at 75,000 Miles.  I had the shop replace the friction plates at 50,000 miles, but this time I wanna use aftermarket plates and springs, which already came in.

I'm waiting for the gasket to arrive and then I want to try and replace it myself.  I'm not a mechanic, just a cheap bastard.

If you have any tips for me, I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

• Premium Member

You will need a clutch basket holding tool... put bike in 6th gear and use a buddy to hold bike and rear brake pedal down tight

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

3 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

You will need a clutch basket holding tool... put bike in 6th gear and use a buddy to hold bike and rear brake pedal down tight

Oh man, it looked easy on YouTube and there was no mention of a clutch basket holding tool nor did he say to put it 6th gear.  I'm glad I asked.  Ok I'm gonna need to research this a bit more before I start.  Thanks.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cruzian3 said:

My clutch is slipping at 75,000 Miles.

How long have you had your bike? and did you get it brand new? Either Way thats a lot of miles. 

• Premium Member

Before you replace your clutch plates, have you confirmed that your clutch cable movement is not being hampered? Just to confirm that your clutch cable is allowing your plates to fully mesh when your clutch lever is released.

I don't know what kind of riding you do but unless you're doing a lot of clutch dumps ,25k miles doesn't seem like a lot of miles on a set of plates.

What plates/springs did you get?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cruzian3 said:

Oh man, it looked easy on YouTube and there was no mention of a clutch basket holding tool nor did he say to put it 6th gear.  I'm glad I asked.  Ok I'm gonna need to research this a bit more before I start.  Thanks.

my fault a bit for the lack of clarity... what I said was ment for clutch basket removal if needed...  

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

shet 50k on one clutch WTF is going in inthis world?????

75 k on that 07  HOLY CRAPOLY YOU DA MAN

DropMIC.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I know what a slipping clutch feels like on a manual shift car and at 50K I thought it felt the same so I took it in.  Mechanic confirmed it needed to be replaced, but from what people are telling me, it's probably not a slipping clutch.  Because mine seems to slip only when bike is cold and only in first gear.  It's fine after the bike warms up. Someone said it's usually the highest gear that slips first.  Plus people are saying clutch plates can last upto 100K+.  So honestly, I think what I might do is just change the oil and check the clutch cable.  Yea, I bought the bike new in 2015.  My commute is 160 miles round trip.  High mileage but low shifting.  It doesn't make sense.

+1 on check to make sure you always have cable slack when clutch is released. lube that clutch cable often.

I've done clutches on bikes at 75k miles, but if lots of wheelies and abuse it could be earlier. 

What oil are you using?

when I do a clutch I replace friction plates, metal plates and springs. Just makes sense.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

If you truly are a cheap bastard I suggest you find your real dad, he may be a mechanic and maybe he'll work on it for free. 😆

I kid of course, check them cables. Mine sometimes bunch up and don't work right. Happened with a brake cable.

Beemer

You should probably put a micrometer on the steels as well - they do wear as well - slowly. Replace them if out of spec or no longer flat - you can lay them on a piece of glass to test flatness. 

Roll the bike up against a wall. Click it into 6th gear and slowly let the clutch out. If the clutch is slipping, the motor will not stall. Shouldn't really matter what the temp of the motor. 

What kind of oil have you been going thru? If it's not designed to work with a wet clutch and gearbox, change to one that is. 

OK, Probably not. But are you or have you used CAR pertol engine oil in the bike. That can permanantly stuff up the clutch , but can sometimes take a while to show up. For those that don't know , car engine oil for petrol engines almost always contains friction modifies. They stuff clutch friction materials. No NOTE I said petrol engines. Many diesel engine oils DO NOT contain the friction modifiers and are most suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches. If you have used friction mod  oils on a wet clutch, you will have to chuck the friction plates, The steel plates may be OK if you havent stuffed them with a clutch slipping for too long.

Don't use Car engine oil on a bike unless it has a JASO rating . You don;t have to buy specific motorcycle oils if it is JASO rated. Used to be on a Ducati forum that had a number of Oil engineers on it and they all used high quality automotive diesel synthetic oils  that were JASO rated. They said it was just as good as any "motorcycle" oil.

As I said , most people nowdays know not to use ordinary car oil, but you never know, especially if you have bought a second hand one.

The other thing is setting the clutch cable too tight, as a preference. That can cause the clutch to slip constantly, minutely, until is wears enough to be noticeable.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived