The MT-07 Forum

No start, error code 12

K1ngf1sher

Hello there

I thought a bike that would start but was burning coolant like a fog machine and swapped the motor yesterday. Now the bike is throwing a crank pos senor error code. Ive replace the crank position sensor with the one off of the old motor and it still gives the error code. The battery is fully charged with a tender. 

Does anyone have any diagnostic tips or tricks to help resolve this?

Thank you

The troubleshooting mentions a proper air gap setting for that sensor, but couldn't find it. Not had hands on this thing so can't even say it'll move  once bolted in.

You can check resistance thru its harness - the book says between 228 and 342 ohms. If that checks, have a look at the plugs for the harness and unplug the ECU and have a look at those pins as well. 

Can anyone tell my why the crank pos sensor is called the "Speed Sensor" on most of the parts diagrams? The manual I downloaded shows it as only having two leads while the plug itself has 3...

Either way it has far and away too much resistance. 1.2 Mohm. The other sensor I have from the blown motor has the same exact resistance. Should the sensor be removed prior to testing? The multimeter is set up properly or so I believe, it won't even register until the range is set to 200M.

Thanks!

Hmm, I don't think yer looking at the right thing. Every description in the shop manual calls this a Crank position sensor. I would have guessed only 2 wires, but if there are 3 you should be measuring between a black and gray wire. 

This is page 8-103 from the service manual/

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 4.47.49 PM.png

think you are looking at the speedo sensor's wires. that's tested with a voltage, not resistance. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 4.53.10 PM.png

The crank angle/position sensor is bolted to/near the stator in the alternator and reads the spinning alternator rotor. You have to remove the left side engine case to get at it.

If this is not what you've done, you've not replaced the part the diagnostic is saying is faulty. 

Archived