The MT-07 Forum

Should I get new tires?

phanomenal07

phanomenal07

So I feel like I can see a flat spot in the middle of my rear tire. Not really sure. I have the stock tires now with 6400 miles on them. I weight roughly 185 with gear on mostly highway miles between 70-80 miles an hr.

Yes

Then run them from 90 to 105 with unbalanced tires ;)

Ya your about due for some new boots

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

If you post a photo you will get better opinions about your tire condition.  

• Premium Member

I'm thinking of getting new tires, but mine look like new with 9,800 miles.

• Global Moderator

In just ordered a new set at 14,700 miles.  They still do not look too bad, but the center section is close to the wear bars. 

If you have a noticeable flat strip down the middle AND you can feel it in the transition to lean then it would be adviseable to get new tyres UNLESS you pretty well travel upright all the time ( ie it is a commuter or tourer and you don't get a chance to live on the edge ( literally). The transition area can be much smaller contact patch area and long and narrow which gives you less grip and tends to make the bike want to track straight on that transition section so can induce a bit of a wobble in some circumstances.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

phanomenal07

I will post a picture when I can. And no I can’t feel it when I lean over.

I have the same problem, all my tires wear in the middle and the only way to combat that is to purposely set myself up to lean more in turns to make them wear more on the sides. I haven't practiced that yet but I'll get right on it, starting today. (after it rains)

Beemer

Sometimes the flat strip is just plane unavoidable ( note hilarious pun). Never had centre flat strip nor chicken strips until I move to this town. Now no mountains, nor twisty roads, for over 100 km. I now have an assorted collection of flat centre tyres with virgin outer edges. Same thing with loaded touring. Big distances with upright tyres.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

6 hours ago, Beemer said:

I have the same problem, all my tires wear in the middle and the only way to combat that is to purposely set myself up to lean more in turns to make them wear more on the sides. I haven't practiced that yet but I'll get right on it, starting today. (after it rains)

Ride it like a dirt bike, you will get wear on them side walls

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

15 hours ago, r1limited said:

Ride it like a dirt bike, you will get wear on them side walls

😬 If I ride it like it's a dirt bike I will be doing power slides on pavement in the turns. No thanks, I'll just lean a little more. 😉

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

😬 If I ride it like it's a dirt bike I will be doing power slides on pavement in the turns. No thanks, I'll just lean a little more. 😉

Trowing it sideways tones the muscles ;)

• Global Moderator

Those tires look way better than mine and I just now ordered new ones.  I would run those a while longer yet. 

In every tire there is a wear strip that will start to show down the center.  It will be about a 1/4 wide and be dead center.  If and when you see that then it is time to get a new set.  You also have to consider the age of the tire and sidewall break down.  Is the Sidewall showing crack in and around the rim, if yes anywhere it is time to get new booties.  Personally there are great deals coming and going on for tires, dunlop has a $75 off the purchase of two coupons.  Bikebandit, cycle gear and the rest always have some sales going on.  Get a new set and be done with it :)

Archived