The MT-07 Forum

Looking for a stock exhaust

derekfz

Just as the title says I’m looking to convert my fz-07 back to stock exhaust my m4 is to loud and I commute on my bike 18,000 miles now in a little over a year and it’s driving me crazy as much as I ride. Possibly willing to sell my m4 on top of a trade if anyone is interested. 

• Premium Member

Where are you located? 

I have a stock exhaust hanging out at my parent's. Has 30 miles on it... the miles I traveled from the dealership to my house. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

On a side note. The end of the stock exhaust has a bell shape like a brass instrument. If you spot weld a "washer" with the centre hole the same size across the outlet it will have a substantial noise reduction without restricting the flow. It will break the actual transient ( wave front/noise) as it tries to exit but not effect the gas flow. If you stand behind it you may not notice much of a difference but as you get furthur away or off axis it will be much quieter.

Tack it first ( or make a copy if you don't want to stuff up the original) and try it, because this design CAN sometimes get a very annoying whistle at some or all frequencies.

You can do similiar internally with a bit more complicated fabrication but making a restrictor in the muffler inlet ( or in the end of the tail pipe) with a tapered inlet and a bluff or re-entrant outlet, and the inside diameter the same size as an individual header pipes.  It will have zero restriction effect on the flow, but break the transient up a bit.

These are only small reductions probably about 3 to 8dB( combined) max, but it may be enough. Both are tricks we used to meet track noise regulations if we were a bit above the limit.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived