The MT-07 Forum

2018 MT 07 ECU removal

Vex

It's super easy figured I'd post this quick to save someone time:

Tools: allen wrenches that came w bike, flat head screwdriver

Remove seat 2 silver bolts...

Remove 2 bottum screws on black gas tank liner (no need to remove it all together on 2018, just the bottum screws)

Move to right side of bike and unscrew everything on the plastic fairing with the yamaha symbol

Remove fairing from gas tank clips it should pop right out with a tiny bit of pressure

Pop out the plastic Z shaped peice its connected by rubber and one of those shitty click screws.

Under this you will see a black rubber band holding in your ECU. Slide it up and off.

Now grab the flat head, GENTLY stick it into the middle part of where the wires connect to your ECU, while applying inward pressure (gently) and pull the little black lever back. 

Unplug/remove the ECU and send it straight to 2wdw. 

Wait 6 days.....

Now do it all in reverse.

Edited by Vex

I only removed the right scoop/cover, disconnected the plug from the ECU, undid the rubber band, gently lifted the edge of the gas tank cover, and removed the ECU. 

6E81FF33-16CD-413F-9C72-EC1475262DD4.jpeg

592A453F-F98E-49BB-9551-29D0125E2066.jpeg

92340177-D0A1-43C8-9357-E2107AD5F62E.jpeg

Edited by JayMT07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instagram: @jayparrington 

4 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

I only removed the right scoop/cover, disconnected the plug from the ECU, undid the rubber band, gently lifted the edge of the gas tank cover, and removed the ECU. 

I thought about doing that but I felt like having a little wiggle room made it easier, not faster just easier lol. The fairing popped right off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vex said:

I thought about doing that but I felt like having a little wiggle room made it easier, not faster just easier lol. The fairing popped right off

I've already had all the fairings off the bike a few times. I started with just the right cover when I did my ECU just to see if it was possible to get it out that way. I was happy it did. I'm always afraid I'll break a tab on the covers. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

I've already had all the fairings off the bike a few times. I started with just the right cover when I did my ECU just to see if it was possible to get it out that way. I was happy it did. I'm always afraid I'll break a tab on the covers. 

Just noticed the pics. Thank you for posting those man itll probably help someone alot. The amount a dealer charges for this kind of stuff is insane. Any advice on doing exhaust? R77 is on the way, it honestly seems pretty straight forward from what I've seen thus far but I've had no luck finding 2018 videos. This forum is a blessing for guys like me lol.

Note: I've done tons of engine and cosmetic mods to my Harley all the way up to stage 2 which my buddy helped me with. And no joke the MD fender eliminator kit was the most aggravating thing I've ever done to a bike 😂 I mean seriously I should of taken a picture of the bolts 👊😂... after it was all said and done (or so I thought) I tested my turn signals and realized I put them on backwards. Anything that could a went wrong, went wrong. Yamaha outdid themselves on that one.

Edited by Vex
  • Haha 1

Here’s a pic of the hardware all layed out when I did my Yoshi FE. Bringing back any nightmares?  I can’t say I had any issues with that install. 

As as for the exhaust, sounds like you’re capable installing it. I just followed Akra’s instructions since that’s the one I chose. As for advice, I did mine on my own but an extra set of hands never hurts. Another tip is to put a thin coat of grease on the gaskets to hold them in place while you install the headers. 

5B6F409A-770B-4D25-87E6-9D1C78454920.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayMT07 said:

Here’s a pic of the hardware all layed out when I did my Yoshi FE. Bringing back any nightmares?  I can’t say I had any issues with that install. 

As as for the exhaust, sounds like you’re capable installing it. I just followed Akra’s instructions since that’s the one I chose. As for advice, I did mine on my own but an extra set of hands never hurts. Another tip is to put a thin coat of grease on the gaskets to hold them in place while you install the headers. 

5B6F409A-770B-4D25-87E6-9D1C78454920.jpeg

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. I'm having PTSD flash backs to when my 3 yr old nephew tripped on my piles mixing them all together...

Hopefully my girl will hold the pipe for me (weird as that sounds). I didnt think about greasing it so I'll do that too. Yeah doing it solo seems like a pain in the ass. One thing I learned on my 1200 was that gloves are a MUST! Left finger prints all over that bad boy.

• 5 months later...
Josh2019mt07

Thanks for the share, gonna do the ecu flash this week while I’m waiting on parts. Ordered the m4 rm1 full exhaust and dna filter with the stage 2 piece. I’m excited to see how much this opens this baby up

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 1/17/2019 at 7:15 PM, Vex said:

This is the stuff nightmares are made of. I'm having PTSD flash backs to when my 3 yr old nephew tripped on my piles mixing them all together...

Hopefully my girl will hold the pipe for me (weird as that sounds). I didnt think about greasing it so I'll do that too. Yeah doing it solo seems like a pain in the ass. One thing I learned on my 1200 was that gloves are a MUST! Left finger prints all over that bad boy.

When you get the pipe installed, it's a good idea to wipe the whole system down with rubbing alcohol. It removes all the oils/fingerprints that can stain the beautiful headers.....

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"