The MT-07 Forum

2018 Akra Full Ti

jmartin1375

I've researched this bike to the point where my mind is mush.

I finally picked up a 2018 MT-07 brand new from a dealer at a great price. From watching videos etc. I knew I hated the sound of the stock exhaust so I purchased via the dealer the Akrapovic Full System in Titanium as they hooked me up on the install. I did ask them to remove the dB killer as I plan on commuting on this bike and the louder exhaust makes a world of difference when people are still half asleep and texting whilst driving to work.

The dealer wanted to sell me a power commander and also a servo buddy.  Having researched this a bit, I asked...."can't I just send in the ECU and get it reflashed?" They agreed that should work fine. ECU looks easy enough to remove. 2wheeldynoworks.com seems like a reputable company to flash the ECU.

I'm sure I'm overthinking things because that's what I do but....what am I missing? 

• Premium Member

#1 the FZ-07 does not need a servo buddy... What an honest dealership... 

The PVC works just fine...same goes for a 2wdw flash...

Putting the baffle back in and putting the catalytic converter in will be another choice that does not need any ECU reflashed or fuel/ign control... Akra and Yamaha worked together to have the Akra-Ti run on OEM mapping...

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

3 hours ago, jmartin1375 said:

I've researched this bike to the point where my mind is mush.

I finally picked up a 2018 MT-07 brand new from a dealer at a great price. From watching videos etc. I knew I hated the sound of the stock exhaust so I purchased via the dealer the Akrapovic Full System in Titanium as they hooked me up on the install. I did ask them to remove the dB killer as I plan on commuting on this bike and the louder exhaust makes a world of difference when people are still half asleep and texting whilst driving to work.

The dealer wanted to sell me a power commander and also a servo buddy.  Having researched this a bit, I asked...."can't I just send in the ECU and get it reflashed?" They agreed that should work fine. ECU looks easy enough to remove. 2wheeldynoworks.com seems like a reputable company to flash the ECU.

I'm sure I'm overthinking things because that's what I do but....what am I missing? 

@2wheeldynoworks is having a sale right now,  might be the last sale they have until fall. 

How much did the dealer charge for that exhaust?  @2wheeldynoworks could have saved you a TON of money on that too. 

• Like 1

Dealer charged $913 for the exhaust. Revzilla has it for like $930ish. I tried to work in free labor on the install but failed. I got the bike for $5999 and they threw in some Pilot Road 4s on it and said if they went any lower it would be a negative sale. It sucks paying dealer fees but it is what it is and when I ride the bike home, I'm sure I'll be pleased. Actually, I'm gonna get it home and park it and take out the ECU right away. Definitely going to take advantage of the Feb discount from 2wheeldynoworks. Thanks for that link. Is there a different air filter I should be adding before getting it flashed? I read a lot of posts regarding the air box being upgraded. Not sure if they were referring to the actual box or just the filter or both. As I recall there was a lot of controversy as to whether this mod was actually beneficial.

Next immediate mod that I think needs doing is to swap out the stock seat for....maybe a seatconcepts seat.  I haven't looked in to this yet.  Maybe I'll put some frame sliders on for extra protection.

17 hours ago, norcal616 said:

#1 the FZ-07 does not need a servo buddy... What an honest dealership... 

The PVC works just fine...same goes for a 2wdw flash...

Putting the baffle back in and putting the catalytic converter in will be another choice that does not need any ECU reflashed or fuel/ign control... Akra and Yamaha worked together to have the Akra-Ti run on OEM mapping...

Service dept said they will just disconnect the wire from the servo but leave it in place. Removing the catalytic converter is ok here in VA and apparently its a heavy item so removing will shave a few lbs off the bike. That isn't my focus but it's certainly not a negative.

I would love to mod the exhaust so the baffle can be inserted or removed easily. I want the bike loud when I commute but quite when I'm doing night rides and other stuff. I know....unrealistic.

• Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum @jmartin1375

10 hours ago, jmartin1375 said:

Service dept said they will just disconnect the wire from the servo but leave it in place. Removing the catalytic converter is ok here in VA and apparently its a heavy item so removing will shave a few lbs off the bike. That isn't my focus but it's certainly not a negative.

I would love to mod the exhaust so the baffle can be inserted or removed easily. I want the bike loud when I commute but quite when I'm doing night rides and other stuff. I know....unrealistic.

what servo are they referring to? 
Also, make sure you get all of the parts you have the dealer remove on the off chance you want to put the bike back to stock. 

I have the 2wdw flash on my ECU, worth it IMO but there are other options out there 

for your air filter question,  there isnt really one that needs to be purchased, just a removal of the "snorkel" that fills the centre of the air filter, it will also sound a bit growlier with the intake noise not being muffled by the snorkel.
for the airbox upgrade Hordpower makes a complete replacement for the stock airbox.  it's a velocity stack design with its own filter. he also sells the Power Commander V with a tune for his airbox. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

I think you will be very happy with the 2WDW tune.  I am also curious to what the servo is that you mentioned.  All I can think of is it has to do with the ABS as my bike does not have that and I am unaware of it having any servos. 

I just picked the bike up. Verdict....too loud. It's louder than my cruiser and it has straight pipes on it.  Gonna put the baffle back in. If I put the catalytic converter back in also, no need to reflash the ECU right?

They gave me a box of parts. I peaked and saw the original exhaust, the snorkel and the baffle.  Dumb question but...what does the catalytic converter look like?

FYI, you can use an FZ-09 Akra TI baffle and cut the inner pipes for a nice middleground between the baffle fully in and fully out.

Plus it looks totally stock.

Cutting the 07 baffle sounds raspy and weird due to pressure waves in that middle area the baffle covers.

• Premium Member

It goes at the end of the mid pipe end that gets inserted into the exhaust

akrapovic_catalytic_converter.jpg

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Damn. My box of parts does not contain the catalytic converter. I'll have to call them tomorrow and hopefully locate it. 

Is installing the baffle something I should be able to do myself? All the YouTube videos I've seen only pertain to removing it. 

I was hoping I could just slide it back in. Sadly since I had the dealer remove it I'm a bit oblivious to the process. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, jmartin1375 said:

Damn. My box of parts does not contain the catalytic converter. I'll have to call them tomorrow and hopefully locate it. 

Is installing the baffle something I should be able to do myself? All the YouTube videos I've seen only pertain to removing it. 

I was hoping I could just slide it back in. Sadly since I had the dealer remove it I'm a bit oblivious to the process. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

The catalytic converter is an optional accessory. Did you purchase it?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

21 hours ago, DewMan said:

The catalytic converter is an optional accessory. Did you purchase it?

No. Dealer had told me they'd have to remove it to install this exhaust. I called today and they said it's part of the OEM exhaust and since I bought the Acropovic Full system, it wasn't an issue. 

My understanding at this point is I can just put the baffle back in. Looks like it's held in by a single screw. I also believe that there is no need to reflash the ECU since I'll be running with the baffle in. 

Sound about right?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, jmartin1375 said:

No. Dealer had told me they'd have to remove it to install this exhaust. I called today and they said it's part of the OEM exhaust and since I bought the Acropovic Full system, it wasn't an issue. 

My understanding at this point is I can just put the baffle back in. Looks like it's held in by a single screw. I also believe that there is no need to reflash the ECU since I'll be running with the baffle in. 

Sound about right?

It was an optional accessory, that I didn't purchase,  when I bought my Akra-Ti.

Are you in California? I know it may be required in that state perhaps.✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

26 minutes ago, DewMan said:

It was an optional accessory, that I didn't purchase,  when I bought my Akra-Ti.

Are you in California? I know it may be required in that state perhaps.✌️

I'm in VA so it's not a requirement. Did you send in your ECU to be flashed?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, jmartin1375 said:

I'm in VA so it's not a requirement. Did you send in your ECU to be flashed?

Yes, I sent mine to 2WDW. If you have any questions I'd email/call  them and they're usually quick to respond with answers to any questions you may have including when a reflash is needed.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

6 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Yes, I sent mine to 2WDW. If you have any questions I'd email/call  them and they're usually quick to respond with answers to any questions you may have including when a reflash is needed.

I've read on this forum that the Akra with the baffle in works fine with no need to flash the ECU? Did I misread?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, jmartin1375 said:

I've read on this forum that the Akra with the baffle in works fine with no need to flash the ECU? Did I misread?

I can't say, I've not read that. But if you read it here in a response from one of the guys from 2WDWs I'm sure it's correct. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

18 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I can't say, I've not read that. But if you read it here in a response from one of the guys from 2WDWs I'm sure it's correct. ✌️

Did you make any other mods aside from adding the exhaust? I just emailed 2WDWs about it. 

33 minutes ago, jmartin1375 said:

According to Akra's own website a remap is not required with install of the full Ti/Carbon end cap exhaust.

WWW.AKRAPOVIC.COM

Edited by NiteRyder
Clarification
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, jmartin1375 said:

Did you make any other mods aside from adding the exhaust? I just emailed 2WDWs about it. 

the exhaust and intake snorkel removal was the only change I made to the bikes powertrain.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I installed the Akra Ti/carbon tip exhaust this past summer. There wasn’t a cat from the stock exhaust that could be installed in the Akra. It was an optional piece that I didn’t purchase. 

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.net/ImageServer/Apim2media/Documents/121381/b7fbde03-8053-4e3b-8441-fbb04a3479e3_Generated.pdf

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.net/ImageServer/Apim2media/Documents/17312/be53f83c997c45bea4c8946ef8ce0507.pdf

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• 4 months later...
andrewnguyen23

Having gone through this, you are right on the money. ECU reflash and no standard cat component to be installed. It is a beautiful sounding exhaust.