The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura exhaust actual sound level

Wintersdark

Wintersdark

Could someone with a Yoshi system and a reasonably late model smartphone load up a sound meter app and let me know how loud the Yoshi is both at idle and when revving (in dB)?  It's really quick, easy, and free.  I'm just in a spot where my Black Widow is arguably too loud, and I need to find something a bit quieter.  Can't afford to keep buying and selling exhausts >.<

Edited by Wintersdark
Clarity
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just installed my R77 system this last weekend. I'm running baffle in. Can you direct me to an app? I can try and get the sound clips to you. It definitely loud but from what I have heard it isn't as loud as the Black Widow.

• Premium Member

IIRC Yoshi has the information posted on website... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 8/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, CrewDog758 said:

I just installed my R77 system this last weekend. I'm running baffle in. Can you direct me to an app? I can try and get the sound clips to you. It definitely loud but from what I have heard it isn't as loud as the Black Widow.

I used a sound meter app on my phone so I am not sure how accurate it is but. With baffle, in at idle is was right around 60-70 db. Rev to 10k 89 Db. Sceptical on how acturate this is but I tried. I didn't do any runs without baffle. Sorry I couldn't attach the clip... File was too large

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, CrewDog758 said:

I used a sound meter app on my phone so I am not sure how accurate it is but. With baffle, in at idle is was right around 60-70 db. Rev to 10k 89 Db. Sceptical on how acturate this is but I tried. I didn't do any runs without baffle. Sorry I couldn't attach the clip... File was too large 

To do a proper comparison, could you list from what angle and distance you took the sound readings? the DB values alone don't tell us much.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:52 PM, CrewDog758 said:

I was standing at the bars, holding the phone to the right side of the tank. So about 3ft from exhaust.

how is the ride with that pipe and the DB killer in? I'm more concerned about longer rides, ears ringing, headaches than I am about being respectful to the neighbors (though I am). we have the exact same bike color and all.

Edited by Hosedragger

22 minutes ago, Hosedragger said:

how is the ride with that pipe and the DB killer in? I'm more concerned about longer rides, ears ringing, headaches than I am about being respectful to the neighbors (though I am). we have the exact same bike color and all.

I haven't gone on anything too long with it yet, 20 miles max. It didn't bother me, you could obviously just hear it. If I was going to try an stretch a ride out I might consider earplugs but to me it isn't that loud when you are on it. Can't speak to how it would be without the DB killer though. 

Also as a side note.... With DB killer in I have not experienced any performance drops. Still has all the power that it had stock according to my butt Dyno. Engine braking is slightly diminished but still noticable. Also there are Pops on decel (not a lot and not super loud) but when I listened to the stock pipe closely I would hear the same pops just much quieter because of the baffling.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CrewDog758 said:

I haven't gone on anything too long with it yet, 20 miles max. It didn't bother me, you could obviously just hear it. If I was going to try an stretch a ride out I might consider earplugs but to me it isn't that loud when you are on it. Can't speak to how it would be without the DB killer though. 

Also as a side note.... With DB killer in I have not experienced any performance drops. Still has all the power that it had stock according to my butt Dyno. Engine braking is slightly diminished but still noticable. Also there are Pops on decel (not a lot and not super loud) but when I listened to the stock pipe closely I would hear the same pops just much quieter because of the baffling.

I'm so torn right now between SC conic, Yoshi and Akra. I want it louder but not obscene. The increase in power isn't my main concern right now, but I do want it optimal for whatever pipe I go with. Thanks for the input it helped out a lot

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 6/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, Wintersdark said:

Could someone with a Yoshi system and a reasonably late model smartphone load up a sound meter app and let me know how loud the Yoshi is both at idle and when revving (in dB)?  It's really quick, easy, and free.  I'm just in a spot where my Black Widow is arguably too loud, and I need to find something a bit quieter.  Can't afford to keep buying and selling exhausts >.<

Kinda late to the game here, but baffle out (what I ride with) is definitely tolerable and only really loud at certain speeds. I have great hearing and it's not that bothersome. Anyone considering this exhaust should get it, and if concerned if it might be an issue just ride with plugs. All these other exhausts are expensive af lol

On 8/31/2019 at 5:46 PM, DewMan said:

To do a proper comparison, could you list from what angle and distance you took the sound readings? the DB values alone don't tell us much.

I think those dB readings did tell something - they're wrong!    Stock is probably close to 89 dB at the proper measurement positioning.   I'm thinking the Yoshimura and most all other exhausts are significantly louder.   Delkevic gives values in their videos.  I haven't installed the pipe yet, but their 18" can full exhaust is claimed to be 96 dB with baffle in.  I picked up the "quieter baffle" in the event I believe it is louder than I want.  Most of their shorter cans/exhausts are over 100 dB.  On the average human perception of a sound will have it "sound twice as loud" about every 3 dB increase.  At least that's what I'd seen in some reading over the years.  I'd say probably not far off though.