The MT-07 Forum

Horde Airbox - Pricey but worth it...

paxx

the problem really, at least for us, non-Americans is that, in Europe, to get and Hord air box (and like AP said i also say the same i would buy oe for sure) is that base price plus duty taxes, shipping, and time, i would probably put over the base price (wich i dont think its expensive - look at dna filter + lid = overpriced for sure) plus 50% easily, and all the waiting time.

i really would like to see some kind of streetable aplication of it, because although it looks really good, probleam at least in Portugal is that if a police officer looks at it, damm we are screwed, i dont know how it works in other european countryes but in here it works like that.

Anyway and like it was said before, all the R&D made by Hord is amazing.

• Premium Member

Honestly I think it depends on where you want the power.  My understanding of the Hord box is it makes great power up top, without sacrificing anywhere, which is awesome.

My MWR Air Box Cover and MWR filter made 12 hp more than stock in the midrange when paired with the Akro Ti exhaust w/o baffle and proper tune...it tapered toward the top end, but didn't give away anything up top either.

For ME, the powerband that I normally ride in is the midrange, as I rarely ride around at top rpm's on the street, so the MWR combo for normal street use was great.

For racing, I wanted to shift the powerband to the right, so the Hord b is a solution, but I didn't like how it vents back into the filter, so I made my own solution using new 3d printed CarbonSmith velocity stacks, and MWR Pod filters in their RACE material.

When we tested this combo back to back on a bike that was using the Hord system, not only did we find a ton of oil inside the K&N filter when we took of the Hord system (because of the way it vents back into the filter), but we also mad like 3.5-4.5hp more on top.

I was pretty happy with that, so my engine builder came up with a slick way to vent the system into it's own canister tucked neatly under the seat.

I do have another set of velocity stacks to try that are slightly longer that the first set, but I have't had a chance to try them yet.

:)

- Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fz_Stephen_Fz

@pgeldz I have always been hesitant to make the hordepower jump. Ill be your first customer when you have your version ready for the masses. I like how it looks more to be honest and I like having unique parts :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Honestly I think it depends on where you want the power.  My understanding of the Hord box is it makes great power up top, without sacrificing anywhere, which is awesome.

My MWR Air Box Cover and MWR filter made 12 hp more than stock in the midrange when paired with the Akro Ti exhaust w/o baffle and proper tune...it tapered toward the top end, but didn't give away anything up top either.

For ME, the powerband that I normally ride in is the midrange, as I rarely ride around at top rpm's on the street, so the MWR combo for normal street use was great.

For racing, I wanted to shift the powerband to the right, so the Hord b is a solution, but I didn't like how it vents back into the filter, so I made my own solution using new 3d printed CarbonSmith velocity stacks, and MWR Pod filters in their RACE material.

When we tested this combo back to back on a bike that was using the Hord system, not only did we find a ton of oil inside the K&N filter when we took of the Hord system (because of the way it vents back into the filter), but we also mad like 3.5-4.5hp more on top.

I was pretty happy with that, so my engine builder came up with a slick way to vent the system into it's own canister tucked neatly under the seat.

I do have another set of velocity stacks to try that are slightly longer that the first set, but I have't had a chance to try them yet.

- Paul

You already have dyno graphs of it ? Also how does a kn vs dna vs mwr filters with snorkel removed goes are the difference something to look for? (Got a KN)

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Joaoduarte said:

I did a test of the DNA vs MWR filters.  It was before the MWR air box cover was released.

You can check it out here:

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

You have a dynograph oficial the mt07 With that intake?

Only dyno graphs I have are in the above post I made...there's a link.

- Paul

14 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Only dyno graphs I have are in the above post I made...there's a link.

- Paul

Sorry paul my mistake i meant to you new intake solution similar to the hord power air box

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Joaoduarte said:

Sorry paul my mistake i meant to you new intake solution similar to the hord power air box

Ahh, no worries.

I don't have them handy unfortunately.  It wouldn't be accurate nowadays anyway.  The testing was done back to back with a hord airbox, but it wasn't my bike.  It was a mildly built motor like mine though, and my solution with the new stacks and MWR filter set up made like 3.5-4.5 more hp on the top end.  However, that was with the standard MWR filter material.

When I was made aware of these results, I had MWR make me the filters with the RACE material, which flows even better, then installed the set up on my bike, and had a custom Ti exhaust made by Comp Werkes.

All told, I was very happy with the results on my bike with this set up on my motor.  Depending on what Dyno you believe (it's been on 3 different dynos), the average is 90 hp.  That's with a mildly build motor on stock rods and pistons, with RapidBike.  Pulls like a freight train and regularly has beat similar bikes with other "built motors" out on track.

But don't get roped into the hp wars.  People advertise peak hp, but that tells you NOTHING about the "area under the curve" which is MUCH more important :)

- Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

Oh yes for sure more so for people like me that uses bike on street and not Racing.

If you are using your bike primarily on the street, the MWR filter/lid combo is awesome.  My bike made like 12hp more than stock in the meat of the power, where you actually ride, with this combo tuned on a power commander and Akra Ti exhaust w/o baffle.  You won't be disappointed.  But I think you really do need to have a certain combination of parts to take advantage of it.  Just bolting on ANY airbox or filter solution isn't going to get you that kind of power. 2-5hp at most depending on what intake filtration solution you choose.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 4/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, pgeldz said:

IMG_20190521_115737.thumb.jpg.44d01608ff1d0239aeb32627ef290c7a.jpg.2f27bf08142a39c353c9e630c3b02cfe.jpg

65122253_629154944232033_8010016945074077696_n.jpg.9329c72f8ff19985b4d31b7290eb67ec.jpg.fd6a4efdcdb444670236dad4cb85adb9.jpg

If I can make this for resale (retail), it'll be LESS than $250, and make more power :)

I hope know one took my previous reply to this post in a negative way.... I'm all about the advancement of our beloved bikes. Keep moving forward, and EVERYONE wins- 😎....

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

5 hours ago, pgeldz said:

If you are using your bike primarily on the street, the MWR filter/lid combo is awesome.  My bike made like 12hp more than stock in the meat of the power, where you actually ride, with this combo tuned on a power commander and Akra Ti exhaust w/o baffle.  You won't be disappointed.  But I think you really do need to have a certain combination of parts to take advantage of it.  Just bolting on ANY airbox or filter solution isn't going to get you that kind of power. 2-5hp at most depending on what intake filtration solution you choose.

Paul, this a bit off topic... but... tell me a thing a long ago you made a post about your map being tuned with akrapovic ti pcv and a filter i think it was dna filter and lid and then you got the mwr filter plus lid that you compared to the dna and it outperforned them anyway, when you got your bike tuned with pcv you mantained the o2 sensor in and just maped the open loop part of the map leaving the closed loop like stock or you just removed the o2 sensor and maped all the map ?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

Paul, this a bit off topic... but... tell me a thing a long ago you made a post about your map being tuned with akrapovic ti pcv and a filter i think it was dna filter and lid and then you got the mwr filter plus lid that you compared to the dna and it outperforned them anyway, when you got your bike tuned with pcv you mantained the o2 sensor in and just maped the open loop part of the map leaving the closed loop like stock or you just removed the o2 sensor and maped all the map ?

Yeah, I think we are getting a bit off topic, not only with this but with me posting my filtration solution as well in the first place.

My apologies, it's just when I see things posted as the end all be all solution I feel compelled to make folks aware of other solutions less well known :)

Lets take this to PM's, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

- Paul

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Yeah, I think we are getting a bit off topic, not only with this but with me posting my filtration solution as well in the first place.

My apologies, it's just when I see things posted as the end all be all solution I feel compelled to make folks aware of other solutions less well known :)

Lets take this to PM's, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

- Paul

Please make this a new thread so all can follow, I’m interested as well!