The MT-07 Forum

Sorry but I’m an idiot — new exhaust, new exhaust gaskets

msb06c

Guys please pardon my idiocy.

My MT07 is my first bike and I’m completely new to turning a wrench. So far all my maintenance has been relatively smooth going, thanks to lots of info/tutorials on this forum and tons of YouTube videos. 

anyways Black Friday got me good and I decided to stop riding a sewing machine and start riding a motorcycle. I got a carbon akra system from 2wdw with a flash and I can’t wait to get it here and get it all installed. 

im looking to get new header exhaust gaskets  so that I’ll have them ready by the time the exhaust system arrives. 

my bike is a 2018 MT07 in white, and my manual reads “MT07J/MT07JC” on the cover. 

from what I understand I need Yamaha part 3YF-14613-01 (at least, according to one video I saw) but I can’t find anything on partzilla or revzilla that confirms these gaskets actually do fit with my mt07j/mt07jc model.

In fact, I can’t find “mt07j” or “mt07jc” anywhere. 

am I worrying for nothing, or where should I be buying these gaskets from to ensure they’re genuine and will actually fit and seal?

thanks!

Just now, msb06c said:

Guys please pardon my idiocy.

My MT07 is my first bike and I’m completely new to turning a wrench. So far all my maintenance has been relatively smooth going, thanks to lots of info/tutorials on this forum and tons of YouTube videos. 

anyways Black Friday got me good and I decided to stop riding a sewing machine and start riding a motorcycle. I got a carbon akra system from 2wdw with a flash and I can’t wait to get it here and get it all installed. 

im looking to get new header exhaust gaskets  so that I’ll have them ready by the time the exhaust system arrives. 

my bike is a 2018 MT07 in white, and my manual reads “MT07J/MT07JC” on the cover. 

from what I understand I need Yamaha part 3YF-14613-01 (at least, according to one video I saw) but I can’t find anything on partzilla or revzilla that confirms these gaskets actually do fit with my mt07j/mt07jc model.

In fact, I can’t find “mt07j” or “mt07jc” anywhere. 

am I worrying for nothing, or where should I be buying these gaskets from to ensure they’re genuine and will actually fit and seal?

thanks!

You should be able to reuse the originals but new ones are cheap so you can go that route if you wish. #5 on the attached parts fiche is what you want. All MT/FZ/FJ07 models share the same exhaust gaskets. The letters at the end of the model number are superfluous with respect to your questions. They have to do with variants and color codes like California models, abs/non abs, various market submodels, white, blue or whatever.

Good luck!

Shop online for OEM Exhaust parts that fit your 2017 Yamaha FZ07 (FZ07HS), search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-964-1882

• Thanks 1

Thanks mr moss, in hindsight I feel ever more stupid for thinking there would be any variation on the engine or exhaust pipes between colors or markets, lol.

Maybe I’m just a little too “better to be safe than sorry” Cheers and thanks 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, msb06c said:

Thanks mr moss, in hindsight I feel ever more stupid for thinking there would be any variation on the engine or exhaust pipes between colors or markets, lol.

Maybe I’m just a little too “better to be safe than sorry” Cheers and thanks 

Everybody was "new" at one time or another.... That's the beauty of this forum! Most of the folk here are happy to help a brother out with something-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

2 hours ago, msb06c said:

my bike is a 2018 MT07 in white, and my manual reads “MT07J/MT07JC” 

I

This is easy to understand, and understanding how it works rids you of uncertainty.

The example here is:

MT07JW

and

MT07JCW

So:

MT07 = Model designation (what the bike is called, regardless of model year or color).

J = 2018 model year. This is also the 10th digit of your VIN. This digit will change with every model year. A 2017 model is H. A 2018 model like yours is J. A 2019 model is K. A 2020 model is a...can you guess?

C = California model. California laws require so many different parts in order for the bike to meet California requirements, the factories like Yamaha Motor Co. will actually build bikes just for the state of California. The way a California model is designated is with the C.

W = White. The thing to remember is that you will not always see the color digit used in all situations. Your Owner's Manual did not show it because the info inside of it applies to all 2018 MT07 bikes regardless of color scheme. 

If you understand the above, you will be much better prepared to pick out the correct parts catalogue and parts.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on your motorcycle and your exhaust!  No need to worry about this!  You should be able to tighten the exhaust to the headers without any issue.  I’ve installed several exhausts on several of my bikes over the years and haven’t ever had leaks or any issues.  I remember also being nervous about leaks also on my first exhaust and I put high temp copper RTV in every joint throughout the new exhaust!