The MT-07 Forum

Off road tyres

Shrishtaa

Hi guys What do you think about off road tyres 70/30 in MT07. Do you recommond or suggestions and flaws. I am planning trip here in aussy.  Thanks 

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, Shrishtaa said:

Hi guys What do you think about off road tyres 70/30 in MT07. Do you recommond or suggestions and flaws. I am planning trip here in aussy.  Thanks 

@zombiphone put 70/30 tires on her bike and toured every state in the US.  I am not sure if she is still on the forum but hopefully she will chime in.  She wrote a book called “Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy” about it, as well as magazine articles.  I really enjoyed reading the book, it is available on Amazon. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 7:31 PM, mjh937 said:

@zombiphone put 70/30 tires on her bike and toured every state in the US.  I am not sure if she is still on the forum but hopefully she will chime in.  She wrote a book called “Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy” about it, as well as magazine articles.  I really enjoyed reading the book, it is available on Amazon. 

Sorry- haven't been on here in a hot minute, and just saw this! I'm touring the states right now with a real dirt bike so I can finally actually be a good off road rider. But that said- I run the Shinko 705s on the FZ-07 (120 front, 170 rear) which are a great 70/30 street/dirt tire from my experience.

Aside from being super inexpensive, They served me well from all the way from Alaska to Panama and lots of dirt roads in between. I'm not the most experienced in the dirt, but they gave me a ton of confidence on fire roads, rocks, gravel, and even through stream crossings. They take dirt like a champ (though I wouldn't recommend them in sand. I mean, to be fair, I don't know what to recommend at all in sand, haha), and I enjoy them on the street too. Only drawback is that they aren't great over 95 mph. I usually got around 7k miles out of the rear and 12-15k out of the front to boot. 

If covid hadn't happened this year, I'd be taking them through Africa, Europe, and Russia right now, too, but that'll have to wait. Thanks for the tag @mjh937!

• Like 2

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine