The MT-07 Forum

In Detail of Swapping R6 Throttle Tube

Evanlamarr88

Evanlamarr88

OK, so I've seen a ton of info on this, but I had to piecemeal all the info I needed together to get this done, so I thought I'd just sum it up for everyone.

In review: It's totally work the like $20-$30 - makes the bike feel more true to form, and it doesn't make it "twitchy" unless you're just completely new to manual shifting and/or are a timid driver/rider in general. You knew the bike had a lot of low end power before, but now you don't have to yank the throttle so much to access it. It's not creating more power, just making it more accessible and responsive. Also, it's more comfortable, since you're not having to keep your wrist flexed nearly as much while at freeway speeds. Just an all-around great and cheap mod.

Throttle Tube - there's the Motion Pro one that you'll find easily on amazon, but it's in between the stock tube and the OEM R6. Nothing wrong at all with the OEM R6, and it has the greatest effect, so I say buy that one. You can find it on Amazon here.

Here's a great video on how to do the install. He even shows you how to get the stock grip off. Hi-Viz Smiley says it's not worth doing if you've watched his videos, but it's really a piece of cake. Just stick a flathead screwdriver in between the stock tube and grip, and, with the screwdriver still in, squirt some WD-40 down the hole you've created. Do this 2-3 times, and the grip comes right off. Same with the grip on the new tube assembly linked above, if you're OCD-ish and want matching grips like me. Also, no need to get all the WD-40 off the tube when you put the grip back on, and no need for glue either. Just wipe excess WD-40 off, shove the grip back on, and over time it will seat itself. Doesn't take long - minutes, probably.

However, there's a step I had to take that the video above didn't show me, and that is to create more slack in the throttle cable than the fine-tune bolt at the handlebar will give you. When I first installed it it was so tight that whenever I closed the throttle housing on the handlebar, the throttle would stick. I thought there was something wrong with the tube at first, but it turns out I just didn't have enough slack in the throttle cable, and had to adjust that on the engine at the throttle housing. Piece of cake, and here's a good tutorial on how to do that.

Overall, super easy to do, and now that I know all of this, I could do it in half an hour or less. However, I was about to pull my hair out last night when I didn't realize I needed more slack in the throttle cable, so hence this post. I also could not for the life of me find out how to get the OEM throttle tube, so that link is above for you too.

Hope this helps you all, and again, I encourage you to do it! Makes the bike feel like you think it's supposed to feel! Sorry if this is just regurgitation, but I'd done a lot of research and nowhere told me how to get the OEM tube, or that I would need to create extra slack in the throttle cable, so that's my purpose of this post.

Happy riding!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lol Every couple months someone posts a help thread that they installed it correctly and it’s stuck/binding/doesn’t fit and they are pulling their hair out trying to figure out wtf is wrong. The answer is that the throttle cable just needs adjusting. 😜 Anyway, welcome to the community and enjoy the shorter throw to go real real fast! 
R6 throttle tube > motion pro > OEM

• Like 1

Awesome - I'm actually planning on doing this myself. I've been putting it off for the longest because I wasn't sure how exactly to adjust the throttle cable, but this will definitely help. Thanks!

I was also debating this mod for quite a while because I figured if it ain't broke don't fix it but after riding a friend's fz07 with the r6 tube it's definitely worth it. I was literally just about to buy the throttle tube so I'm taking this as a sign to go ahead and place the order with a few other goodies tonight. Thanks for the info @Evanlamarr88 this is much appreciated.

Its a good idea to get a feel for how much cable slack is in the two cables down at the throttle adjustment where the sheath ends and the cables are exposed before starting. That way you have a general idea of how much cable slack needs to be in the cables at the throttle adjusters, then you can just move up to the fine tuner at the top to get it dialed in. You don't want the cables to have any sort of tension on them at any point in your handlebar sweep. 

Evanlamarr88
50 minutes ago, iSmkGrnBud said:

Its a good idea to get a feel for how much cable slack is in the two cables down at the throttle adjustment where the sheath ends and the cables are exposed before starting. That way you have a general idea of how much cable slack needs to be in the cables at the throttle adjusters, then you can just move up to the fine tuner at the top to get it dialed in. You don't want the cables to have any sort of tension on them at any point in your handlebar sweep. 

Thanks for the info. Why is that bad, and how do you know if there’s too much tension?

14 minutes ago, Evanlamarr88 said:

Why is that bad,

You won't be able to fully close your throttle

18 minutes ago, Evanlamarr88 said:

how do you know if there’s too much tension?

You won't be able to fully close your throttle 😂 ...

Like @iSmkGrnBud said, you don't want the cables to have any sort of tension on them at any point in your handlebar full sweep. (I emphasized "full" because without a full sweep, you may have enough slack on one side, but then you try the other side and you realize you can't fully sweep, to much tension, throttle stays open.  And this, you wanna find out in your garage, not while riding... ;)

Great tutorial from @V8titanpwr's post (https://fz07.org/thread/777/how-to-adjust-fz-07-throttle-cable/#comments) for slack/tension at engine level (on the handlebar is the fine asjustment, might not have enough slack from there)

• 3 weeks later...

So I put the R6 tube on this past weekend, but had some issues actually getting the throttle to twist with the cable housing on. I ended up loosening both sides of the cable at the engine level in order to get it to twist freely, but noticed in one of the write-ups that they only needed to loosen the cable at the left side. 

My question now is - are there different functions for the left and right side of the cable adjuster? If so, is there an order I should follow when making adjustments at the engine level before moving up to the handlebars to make my fine adjustment (i.e. adjust right side first, then left side, then dial in a few mm of slack at the handlebar adjuster)?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 7fold said:

So I put the R6 tube on this past weekend, but had some issues actually getting the throttle to twist with the cable housing on. I ended up loosening both sides of the cable at the engine level in order to get it to twist freely, but noticed in one of the write-ups that they only needed to loosen the cable at the left side. 

My question now is - are there different functions for the left and right side of the cable adjuster? If so, is there an order I should follow when making adjustments at the engine level before moving up to the handlebars to make my fine adjustment (i.e. adjust right side first, then left side, then dial in a few mm of slack at the handlebar adjuster)?

Don't over think it. I had to lengthen both cables at the motor when I installed mine. 👍

One cable pulls the throttle open, the other pulls the throttle closed.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

22 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Don't over think it. I had to lengthen both cables at the motor when I installed mine. 👍

One cable pulls the throttle open, the other pulls the throttle closed.

Got it - thanks! I can mess around with it again this weekend. I couldn't make any adjustments at the handlebar at the time because I didn't have an 8mm wrench handy, but I can give it another shot.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, RobZilla said:

lol Every couple months someone posts a help thread that they installed it correctly and it’s stuck/binding/doesn’t fit and they are pulling their hair out trying to figure out wtf is wrong. The answer is that the throttle cable just needs adjusting. 😜 Anyway, welcome to the community and enjoy the shorter throw to go real real fast! 
R6 throttle tube > motion pro > OEM

Are you talking about this one? I am looking for the best one

IMG_5683.jpg

This is an OEM throttle tube from a 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 with the OEM grip installed.  This throttle tube will fit the...

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, WeTrolling said:

Are you talking about this one? I am looking for the best one

IMG_5683.jpg

This is an OEM throttle tube from a 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 with the OEM grip installed.  This throttle tube will fit the...

Here is an old post by me with the proper part # :

Good luck with the swap. It sounds harder than it is.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.