The MT-07 Forum

M4 Weld on?

MikeOz

So, PO did a nasty clamp job on an M4 slip on. Clamps are stripped and joints are leaking badly. I’m just gonna have it welded at a local shop.

Any issues with this idea?

The can is in real good shape and I’m happy with the sound level. Definitely keeping it, just wanna know if there’s any known issues with simply welding it on. 

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

Only issue I see to welding it is the obvious that you'll probably need to get a full exhaust if you decide to replace it. And maybe some added difficulty removing it, due it it being 1 piece unit instead of 2 now.

If it's only the clamps that are damaged, wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the clamps?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Make sure they know to disconnect the battery before welding if they don’t remove the exhaust from the bike to do the work, it’ll more than likely fry the ecu otherwise.

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

Can you repack the exhaust without removing it?  That might be an issue later. 

2 hours ago, FrodoFZ said:

Make sure they know to disconnect the battery before welding if they don’t remove the exhaust from the bike to do the work, it’ll more than likely fry the ecu otherwise.

If damage to the ECU is really a concern,  then disconnecting it would be necessary.  Just disconnecting the battery doesn't remove all the wiring  from all around the bike that goes to the ECU.  Or clamp things in position and remove the system for welding.

If I were welding something like this I'd put the ground clamp firmly near where I was working, and there would be no reason current would be flowing around other parts of the bike.   But I'm not recommending this, just commenting on what I'd do!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DewMan said:

If it's only the clamps that are damaged, wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the clamps?

I'll check first, of course. Haven't had it apart yet but at least one clamp is completely stripped and both joints are real loose and wiggly. I'll take it apart tomorrow morning and see.

5 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Can you repack the exhaust without removing it?  That might be an issue later. 

I believe that the M4 comes apart at the can ends. It comes with about 1' of pipe welded to the can, even as a slip on.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm a keen fond of welding and this is why I do a lot of welding work. I usually use I-Tig 200 machines. But when it comes to welders for exhaust work, I use Hobart Handler 140. This is fabulous for exhaust work.