The MT-07 Forum

Lithium Battery recommendation?

fairorth

I have searched but can not find the thread someone posted the weight savings for moving to a lithium battery, and I think it was something like 6 or 7 lbs of savings! Is that real?

Can anyone point me to a lithium replacement battery for the bike?

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

After about 5 mins of research I'm going to "ASSUME" that the fZ07 battery is the same as teh FZ09. If that's the case OEM battery weight is 7lbs. Lithium batterys can weigh 1.5-2 lbs so it would be more like 5-5.5 lbs shaved off.

Try Antigravity Batteries. There are other companies as well. Not sure that the weight savings will really matter much unless you are shaving weight everywhere and counting every ounce along the way.

ben

Think I would go with one of the newer generation LiFePO4 batteries that self equalize between cells. The Scorpion Stinger is one. You can use any type of charger if need be. Bigger is better in the case of these Li batteries especially when they are very cold. So if yer a winter rider, and the bike gets stored outside, it might not be worth the weight savings. That said, turning over the FZ shouldn't be that big a challenge compared to some other twins.

If you measure the OE battery, this page will give you lots of choices for matching size. It's easy to shim empty space. Not so easy when the battery is too big. Just pay attention to terminal location http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/yamaha/2013/

The Antigravity motorcycle batteries can get into really big dollars, depending on the number of cells - not sure about the tech, but their emergency batteries get great reviews.

I forget the model but the price was around $300.
Dat's a whole lot of coin, just to lose a few lbs. and wind up with a perfectly good battery (albeit heavier) collecting dust. 

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
panchobullet

Alright lads&gents, let's bring this one up again and see what news we have regarding this matter. I've been looking to switch over the lithium batteries and was ready to go for an Antigravity YTZ10 12-Cell ($193.59 at RevZilla today) but would love to get some real life/use feedback if any can help in here.

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Premium Member

I got the EarthX ETX18F. After researching all the available batteries I wanted a straight drop in with similar case dimensions as the OEM battery. There are a few out there that fit that bill, but out of all of them, the EarthX is the lightest at 2.2 lbs. Shori was 2.3lbs, and Antigravity was 2.4 if I'm not mistaken.

Now, having said that, that's not the actual reason I got it, because we're basically splitting hairs at this point when it comes to weight. Same thing when it comes to cold cranking amps. They all put out well more than the 190 CCA the OEM puts out.

I really got the EarthX because of its technology. It's the only battery that has the electronic circuitry and management system built into the battery to protect from over discharge, over charge, cell balancing, and excessive cranking protection.

What this means is that you don't need a fancy, expensive lithium battery charger. A regular charger will work perfectly because the battery itself has the built in circuitry doing all the smart work for you, not the charger.

That was the appeal for me.

After 10+ years of remote control car racing in Japan, I've seen battery technology go from me having to solder individual NiCad cells together to make race packs, to the lithium battery craze where some of these hi amp packs put out twice the power in less than half the weight.

When I saw that EarthX line of batteries with their features and built-in circuitry, I was sold.

:)

- Paulie

Paulie,
I have used Shorai's for quite a while. They do have management circuitry inbuilt but the "special" charger bypasses it and uses it's own . You can charge them with a standard battery charger but work best with one that will pump a fair bit of current. I have them currently in 4 motorcycles.
Got them originally for the same reason as you , for my race bikes. Weight was primary but the fact you can put them just about anywhere in any orientation was a big factor. The 250 proddie VTR250 had it literally in front of the motor at the starter at the bottom ( to allow better airflow from the back cyl.)
They charge pretty well from the bikes charging system and I only have a problem on my TR650 because the instrument panel is always drawing current even when off and runs it down, but it does that to EVERY battery.
BTW the cold start problem is overcome by turning the bike on a minute or so before you want to crank it with the headlights on. The current draw ( because of the higher internal resistance) will heat the battery enough to start fine.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I've had a small Deltran lithium in my dirt DRZ 440 Hi cr for a couple of years now, super light, supposedly has the cell balancing etc., cranks up fine and wasn't expensive (don't ask $ don't remember). I looked at all the others but for the price of most wasn't willing to experiment. After a year of running it without issues, I did buy the small Deltran charger just for grins since the bike will sit for months sometimes.

Archived