The MT-07 Forum

Harbor Freight Bike Lift

2019_MT07_Owner

2019_MT07_Owner

Hey,

I have returned to bike ownership after a 10+ year gap and I'm in the process of replacing all the tools and equipment I used to own.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of the Harbor Freight bike lift here:

60536_W3.jpg

1500 Lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift

It seems to be aimed at the HD type bike - does anyone know if it would work on the Mt-07 and is it any good?

Thanks.

My dad bought one of those for four wheelers. They're pretty heavy and clunky, which makes packing it away hard. It always seems to be in the way, 

They don't really lift that high, but they're ok if you just want to lift something high enough to get the wheels off or such. Not really a substitute for a table lift.

But yeah, with no frame cradle there's not really anything to lift from under our bikes. The oddball oil pan shape doesn't help us any. There's ways to pack lumber and such under the bike to get the jack to push the bike up by the frame, but it's gonna be fiddly. 

Maybe keep your eyes open for a used lift table. I got mine for $150 each, but granted, you have to be patient and somewhat lucky to find those deals.

For the $110 they want for that lift, I think a better value for lifting the bike would be the Venom lift stands. With a headlift and rear paddock stand you have more versatility than the lift in that ad can give you. 

• Like 1

I've never used one of those lifts.  The thing is it will require enough surface area underneath in the proper set up to rest on the lift arms.  Not so sure that can be done with the MT/FZ/XSR since there is no tubes underneath.  

If you can do it, spend the money to get a regular platform lift.  There are threads on lifts in the ADVrider forum, experience and tweeks.  Some have made side runners so they have step pads and they park the bike on the lift all the time.   You may also find a lift used for decent money too.   

One other recommendation, either get the Harbor Freight lift with the pads, which does work on the swing arm, but I don't feel that secure with the right side support.  Or get the back end set up with spools for a paddock stand, the aluminum Harbor Freight one is good.   Gilles makes a great set that replace the rear chain adjuster.  I've seen some other setups here and in other forums too.  Trick is how to mount them to the swing arm.  I also saw a stand that works off the swing arm pivot that was really sweet.

Makes tire change and chain lubing easier. 

2019_MT07_Owner

Thanks for the responses; unfortunately I don't have the space for a platform lift, so I guess I'll have to stick with the paddock stands to  do my maintenance.

Can anyone recommend a front stand that would allow me to work on the forks?

I appreciate the help.

Now this, to me, is the trick stand to have:

abba-superbike-stand-01.jpg

Go to Abba's stand site and watch the video.  Looks like a small hydraulic jack or blocks up front could get both wheels off the ground at the same time.  $230 and shipping.  click here and watch the video.  I'd do it if I'd seen it before.  Still might.

If you do paddock stands I'd recommend you do the stem front stand if possible

41w6qYLWKuS._AC_SX466_.jpg71fInVrvENL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That would get both wheels off the ground to be removed.  Amazon link here

Edited by klx678