The MT-07 Forum

OEM bolt specs

Claude

I recently removed the fuel tank and its surrounding body parts as well as headlight.

I told myself I would remember which bolt goes where. Of course, I remember nothing and did not took notes or pics... Fuel tank is back on but I'm wondering for the remaining.

I looked on Partzilla but they do not mention the bolt specs... Is there an online parts catalog that have this information? I’m looking for which bolt diameter, bolt lenght and head type goes where.

Thanks!

Edited by Claude

At a glance, Partzilla shows some fasteners beside a ruler.  Inches, so you have to convert it.  One tank cover fastener for my bike showed about 1/2" or probably 12mm.   See if your questionable fasteners are shown with the ruler, figure what the decimal value is then multiply by 25.24 for conversion or find an inch-to-mm calculator on line.  The head type will be visible in the picture and possibly listed.  You shouldn't have any problem knowing the diameter since all you have to do for that is look at the threaded hole.   Main sizes are 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm with most covers and such using 6mm.   

I hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1

If Partzilla still leaves you scratching your head, then post a picture of the bolt(s) and what areas of the bike you need help with and I can post photos of the same areas from my bike (2016 FZ07).  I need to change out my flashers back to stock sometime in the next month to pass my yearly safety check, so it wouldn't be an issue to open the headlight area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

If Partzilla still leaves you scratching your head, then post a picture of the bolt(s) and what areas of the bike you need help with and I can post photos of the same areas from my bike (2016 FZ07).  I need to change out my flashers back to stock sometime in the next month to pass my yearly safety check, so it wouldn't be an issue to open the headlight area.

Thanks for your offer! I'll probably ask some questions later. For now, I installed back the headlamp, turn signals and their support and looks like I have two remaining bolts... (large round head, 3mm allen drive,about 20 mm long and black).

However, all the body parts surrounding the fuel tank are still removed so maybe those two bolts will find their spot when I reinstall those. I don't think so tough as I separated the body parts fasteners from those for the headlamp area.

I intend to install back the body parts later this week and I'll start my questions from there.

Thanks again!!

The short answer is, "not really."

But I just replaced nearly every bolt on my racebikes with titanium, so I had to learn, or measure, all of them, and have a pretty good understanding.  For the stuff that doesn't involve street trim, anyway.  I won't be much help with anything OEM bodywork, which you note.  But can with the other, structural stuff.

What exact bolts do you need to know?  Post pics, and I'll see if I can help.

I believe I finally sorted out the bolt mix up. I could post a picture later with a few questions but I think all is OK by now.

Thanks!

On 2/26/2023 at 6:19 AM, Claude said:

Thanks for your offer! I'll probably ask some questions later. For now, I installed back the headlamp, turn signals and their support and looks like I have two remaining bolts... (large round head, 3mm allen drive,about 20 mm long and black).

However, all the body parts surrounding the fuel tank are still removed so maybe those two bolts will find their spot when I reinstall those. I don't think so tough as I separated the body parts fasteners from those for the headlamp area.

I intend to install back the body parts later this week and I'll start my questions from there.

Thanks again!!

The bolt description makes me think of the one pictured here:

image.png.492145380c42141a7ef7b2ba05e21a76.png

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

The bolt description makes me think of the one pictured here:

image.png.492145380c42141a7ef7b2ba05e21a76.png

Exactly what I figured out just by looking at Google pictures; thanks!