The MT-07 Forum

17T front sprocket question

Claude

I just installed a 17T front sprocket and all went pretty well. I kept the same chain (low mileage on it) and boy it was a tight fit to install the sprocket with the chain in place.

Question: can I leave in place the black rubberish protector that wraps the sprocket front half? It was a tight fit to install it but I’m wondering if the sprocket now is too close.

Thanks!

I would leave the protector in place. It's rare for a chain to snap or become loose enough to smack the engine, but busted cases just aren't worth the risk. 

I know front sprockets are cheaper, but there comes a point where you're better off changing the rear sprocket instead. 

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

...I know front sprockets are cheaper, but there comes a point where you're better off changing the rear sprocket instead. 

Just curious but do you know what’s the smallest rear sprocket that can be used without the chain rubbing on the swingarm or other components? Thanks!

11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I would leave the protector in place. It's rare for a chain to snap or become loose enough to smack the engine, but busted cases just aren't worth the risk. 

I know front sprockets are cheaper, but there comes a point where you're better off changing the rear sprocket instead. 

I would say that in this case, going larger on the front, is wiser than changing the rear provided there is clearance with no issue.   The larger front sprocket will make less chain wrap, reducing friction to an extend (probably not noticeable) and less wear since the tooth engagement now is larger on that higher tooth count sprocket.

Going the other way, smaller on the front, it is wiser to change the rear.   Falling back to the previous paragraph, the smaller sprocket makes the chain wrap tighter increasing friction and wear.

I have a 17 sitting on the counter to install in my 700 when I get the opportunity.   Take a bit more advantage of that 700 torque.  I think it will give me better options for gears in many cases in town and on the secondary highways (the fun stuff in east Ohio), while being in a good spot when having to be on a freeway, reving a shade lower when running 70-80 mph staying with traffic.  Hope it does well.   

Be nice to be running along in fourth in town instead of fifth at a tad higher rpm, with a shade quicker response when wanted or needed.  It should also put me at a bit higher speed when running along in that mental comfort mode.  That thing where you're buzzing along without really paying attention to speed, then look down to see what the rpm  and the speed are.   Nothing to do with real engine power, but rather with personal sort of normal rhythm in one's mind.  At the moment it seems that comfort rpm is a shade lower speed and if I can push it up by 5-10 mph that would be nice, droning on the freeway at 70-75 mph (yes droning highways sucks, but is a reality).  Back road/secondary highway riding would work fine with either sprocket.

14 hours ago, Claude said:

Just curious but do you know what’s the smallest rear sprocket that can be used without the chain rubbing on the swingarm or other components? Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know what that would be, but it's definitely a good thing to keep an eye on. 

Nearly all modern bikes have sliders for this, but it's not good to rely on them in extreme situations. 

• Global Moderator
10 hours ago, klx678 said:

... should also put me at a bit higher speed when running along in that mental comfort mode.  That thing where you're buzzing along without really paying attention to speed, then look down to see what the rpm  and the speed are.   Nothing to do with real engine power, but rather with personal sort of normal rhythm in one's mind.  At the moment it seems that comfort rpm is a shade lower speed and if I can push it up by 5-10 mph that would be nice, droning on the freeway at 70-75 mph (yes droning highways sucks, but is a reality).  Back road/secondary highway riding would work fine with either sprocket.

That idea of "my groove rpm-speed" it's hot on gulf coast and I'm speeding up my county groove gear rpm speed as it gets more steamy. Noticable thing is cruise temp is 'bout 178 degrees early in season, and if my groove doesn't speed up, both me and bike feel it. Of course couple of degrees avg means nothing to bike, but I'll sweat in my Knox armoured shirt if I don't give it the groove++

I found the bike kind of sets the tone.   I really noticed it when I was doing a demo ride on a Kawasaki 1500 Drifter.   I was running along feeling the ride, then looked at the speedo - I was doing 45 mph.   On my Nighthawk S I did a fair amount of commuting about 20 miles to my job in all kinds of weather from snowmobile suit to light jacket and tee shirt, counting pennies at that time.  If I didn't pay attention the Nighthawk would be creeping up on 70-80 mph.   On the XSR it seems to be around 55-60 occasionally creeping up toward 70.  I'd like to push the sweet spot up around 5-10 mph with the 17T sprocket.

• Like 1