The MT-07 Forum

Akra titanium dual pipe; making it black?

Loek

Hello all!

I have a full-system Akrapovič titanium dual pipe installed (this one) and I want to change its natural metal color to a dark black.

I live in Portugal and apparently there is no quality ceramic exhaust coating service nearby, my local custom motorbike shop told me. In Portugal the quality isn't that high, so if we get it done here it'll likely flake after a year or so. We'd have to send it to the UK to get it done properly which is very expensive.

Another option is using exhaust wrap, but I've heard that doing that on a titanium exhaust can ruin the metal and break the exhaust system.

My questions are the following:

Is the entire Akrapovič titanium dual exhaust system made of titanium including the headers? Or just the end pipes? Even if it is titanium, can I wrap it or does it truly ruin the metal?

Any other ideas of how to blacken the pipes, or do you maybe know a good ceramic coater in Portugal or Spain?

Thanks!

Edited by Loek

I used VHT "Flame Proof" 1300-2000F "Silica Ceramic Coating" header paint on the head pipes of my Moto Guzzi.  You have to take it through some heat cycles to bake it on, following their instructions.  It was fairly durable, and not terribly hard to touch up  when needed.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

@Triple Jim Thanks! I may just try that, as long as it's OK to use on titanium. Was it easy to apply while keeping the headers and exhaust on the bike? Did you have heat resistant tape you put on the engine and other parts to protect them from getting paint all over?

I removed the pipes for paining.  I don't know if it will work on titanium, but my guess is there's no problem.  You can ask VHT about that.

M. Hausknecht

I can confirm that wrapping a pipe will significantly reduce its service life. The wrap keeps heat in the pipes and causes the pipes to get hotter, which results over time in the pipes getting brittle and burning through. A ceramic coating only on the outside of the pipe encourages similar damage, but ceramic coating on the inside and outside of the pipe is ok. Most folks seem to like the look of titanium but if you don't, hi-temp paint is worth trying. I don't know how well it adheres to titanium but it shouldn't do it any harm. I've left all my titanium pipes unpainted.

• Like 1

I remember reading about this a while back on a car forum and the general consensus is - if the pipes are titanium, don't wrap them. If they're stainless, wrapping shouldn't be an issue so long as it's done well and depending on the climate (especially on bikes where the exhaust wraps will be exposed to the elements). 

The main draw to titanium exhaust pipes is titanium's ability to dissipate heat quickly. If you're wrapping them, you end up trapping that heat, having the pipes get too hot and becoming brittle and cracking. 

Pretty sure the pipes are made from stainless steel.  The Ti part is the muffler.  I can't say for 100% but it is one of those things you should be able to tell by how heavy it feels.  All the 100% Ti pipes I have had almost feel fake due to how light they are.  For example on my R6 I dropped 12lbs going from stock to a Leo Vince Ti system.  I didn't weight the Graves one I put on my MT but it was a significant drop.  Anyway the Akra stuff over here is advertised as stainless pipe with Ti muffler.

As for wrapping the pipe.  I've never done it to my stuff.  I've seen good and bad jobs.  Seen the damage it can do as well.  Also never ceramic coated.  I have seen some outstanding looking pipes that had it done.  I haven't done that to any of my pipes.  Part of it is I'm too lazy to wrap the pipe correctly and too cheap to pay to get it coated.  Also the coloring on the pipe can give you an idea of how your bike it running.

55 minutes ago, union said:

Also the coloring on the pipe can give you an idea of how your bike it running.

Yes, and in the case of my blue 2020, the straw and blue colored stock pipes really look nice.   :)