The MT-07 Forum

Chain Slack

geekbiker

geekbiker

Hi, I am new to this forum, and the MT-07. I recently purchased a 2022 MT-07, and have read Cjanssen83's post about measuring chain slack. What I am wondering tho, is it normal for the chain to rest on top of the swing arm, while the bike is on stands ? I have measured the slack, and it appears to be correct. Just wondering, because my other bike does not exhibit this behavior when its on the stands. Other bike is a 2000 Kaw ZRX 1100.

wollerms

I just looked at mine, it's on a rear pit stand with chain adjusted correctly and it touch's some.  My triumph is the same way. 

Triple Jim

Check out my post in this thread, about the block of wood. 

M. Hausknecht

If you're ever curious about whether you have enough or too much chain slack, there is a fool-proof way to tell. Figure out a way to hold the back of the bike off of the ground and remove the shock. Then lift the rear wheel up and down, paying particular attention to the amount of slack you have when the rear axle, swing arm pivot and drive sprocket are in-line. This is where your chain should be its snuggest. You want just a little bit of slack at that point. Based on swing arm angle and the distance between sprockets, some  bikes tighten up more than others as the rear suspension collapses.