The MT-07 Forum

Windscreen

Vanderwho

Hey all,

I installed a Puig "New Generation Touring" windscreen shortly after getting my new '24 late in December. I now have a little over 800 miles on the bike, and the windscreen is not working for me. It looks great -- the bike looks better with it than without IMHO -- but at 5'8" it just shunts all the wind it displaces right at my helmet. Riding the bike is much noisier with it than without it. It might work for someone six feet or taller, but not for me.

So I'm thinking that nothing that looks good on the bike is going to provide decent wind protection, and I might as well just put a flyscreen on it and call it good. Would love for someone to convince me otherwise.

Thanks...

Paulb5950

Here to not convince you otherwise.

Unfortunately the nature of the beast with naked bikes. Your going to get beat up. Personally I run the Yamaha stock shorty windscreen purely for atheistics. Without putting on a huge ugly windshield, your going to just have to deal IMO.

Good helmet goes aloooong way though to help on nakeds. 

• Like 2

Triple Jim

I had that same problem with a Moto Guzzi.  I had to cut it down so the wind broke at my chest because I couldn't take the roaring wind noise.  It was still sort of useful that way, but I have no plans for a windscreen of any type for MT.

• Like 1

Lone Wolf
2 hours ago, Vanderwho said:

Puig "New Generation Touring" windscreen ... but at 5'8" it just shunts all the wind it displaces right at my helmet. Riding the bike is much noisier with it than without it.

You may want to put a lip on and see if that is enough. It will pull the air "up and over" more than it's height would indicate.

You can get a good quality one from MRA, Givi, Puig, or a cheap $30 knock-off and be prepared to alter the brackets etc. to make it work

In addition to pulling the air higher, a lip will greatly reduce turbulent air.

LaminarLIP.jpg

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

Not to hijack your post, but I am thinking about doing this "kit" to my '23 xsr900 because it looks damn cool for that '80s period. Kit is the seat cowling and headlight cowl.

But if I thought it would blast me with more wind noise at avg highway speed, I would be pretty unhappy.

What do you think @Lone Wolf ?

image.png.090974371fa20988560a4729cf771ecb.png

image.png.d148542ab2f0cabf1c98fa2caf856ddf.png

• Like 1

Lone Wolf
10 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

Kit is the seat cowling and headlight cowl.

But if I thought it would blast me with more wind noise at avg highway speed, I would be pretty unhappy.

Man that is awesome. They nailed it.

As for wind - it is low enough that I don't think it would change the riding experience.

It just streamlines the bike.

• Like 1

I purchased all three of the models from Puig. The Touring one is downright awful. The smallest size "Sport Plus" does basically nothing but aesthetics.

The sport however helps a little with the wind without putting it all on your head, it hits me in the upper chest. I would try that one. I bought and installed all three and returned the two that I didn't like (Amazon).

• Thanks 1

Vanderwho
9 hours ago, Walker said:

I purchased all three of the models from Puig. The Touring one is downright awful. The smallest size "Sport Plus" does basically nothing but aesthetics.

The sport however helps a little with the wind without putting it all on your head, it hits me in the upper chest. I would try that one. I bought and installed all three and returned the two that I didn't like (Amazon).

Thanks. I've got the Touring model listed on Craigslist, and am learning to enjoy the nakedness. I may put the Sport Plus on down the road, for aesthetics, as you say.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:36 PM, Vanderwho said:

Thanks. I've got the Touring model listed on Craigslist, and am learning to enjoy the nakedness. I may put the Sport Plus on down the road, for aesthetics, as you say.

Part of what I like about this bike is that the wind and suspension makes me not want to go much above 80. I rode my GSXR1000RZ to work today and casually hit 160 with ease just passing someone at partial throttle. Less wind and more stable than the MT07 at 100. I need to sell that bike lol....

• Haha 2