The MT-07 Forum

2024 MT07 S.O.S. Full Exhaust Help

Blackhawk88

Blackhawk88

Hey guys,

I just bought a new 2024 MT07 about a month ago. I've put about 30 miles on it and just bought an Akrapovic carbon full exhaust from STG. Now, I've heard of this great debate on whether or not an ECU flash or tune like a power commander is necessary to stop your engine from burning alive and damaging the bike. Some say you must tune it and others say Akra exhausts are designed with stock fuel mapping in mind and not needed.

I reached out to Akra and they said a tune is not needed, but recommended. I also reached out to three different Yamaha dealers and two said needs a tune/ecu flash (Don't want to void my brand new warranty) and 1 said listen to Akra. Delving into DynoJets' Power Commander 6, I reached out to DynoJet and they said "obviously" it's needed, however the only tune available on the PC 6 for the '24 MT07 is the stock exhaust/intake  and would need to bring the bike to a dyno to have them map it and load tune onto the PC. So even if I went the route of a PC6, it doesn't even have the correct tune on it for a full after market exhaust and doesn't sound like anyone does. 

Does anyone have any insight and advice for this dilemma? It seems like a lot of trouble just to make the bike sound better. (I mean it sounds awesome on YouTube)

To sum it up, I just want the Akra exhaust to not destroy my brand new motorcycle...and by that I mean running too lean and hot to burn up the cylinders from what I've read. 

Someone throw me a lifeline here please...

Thank you

Edited by Blackhawk88

wollerms

I have a full akra on my 2019 and sent my ecu for reflash to 2WDW, runs awesome, no issues and have put 15,000 miles on it. 

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/

• Like 1

Paulb5950

Have the 22 myself, purchased the bike and it was stock with the exception of the Akrapovic titanium exhaust.

No tune. It ran fine.

Swapped the exhaust to the Akrapovic Carbon setup, no tune. Ran fine. 

After a bit I sent the ECU off to 2 wheel dyno works and had it tuned. Ran strong.

About a month or so later I decided to swap the intake out to the Hord power intake, and sent the ECU off for another tune. Night and day, the bike is completely different.

I also chopped down my brand new carbon exhaust because I'm dumb, no change in performance. 

You'll be fine without a tune, but it will absolutely run better with it. You won't be pushing the engine parameters too far out. From the factory the maps are designed to be pretty rich, I wouldn't stress. I pulled and replaced my plugs while I was waiting for the ECU to come back from tune for intake, they where fine. No signs of excessive heat. But if you want more power/ torque, less twitchiness at really low speeds, less engine brake on deceleration and basically just all around a more enjoyable experience- get tuned. Hands down best money spent on this bike is exhaust, HP intake and tune. It really is a different beast.

Welcome to the family and forum! 

Edited by Paulb5950

CarGuy7a
4 hours ago, Paulb5950 said:

From the factory the maps are designed to be pretty rich, I wouldn't stress.

Actually it's the other way around. Stock maps are excessively lean from factory for fuel economy and emission requirements around the world, so adding a better flowing intake/air filter and open aftermarket exhaust makes this "stock" lean situation even worse. On the other hand I'm pretty sure Akra tests their exhausts to be "safe to run" with a stock air filter and the baffle installed. Once you add the performance intake/air filter and remove the baffle that's when a tune is necessary. I have a 2016 with the Akra titanium, PC5, and K&N filter, and with the map from dynojet for this exhaust with a DNA filter no snorkel, the bike just felt flat on power past 5,000 RPM. Once I added the Autotune and it richened up the map alot more than what it was is when it really woke up the bike.

Paulb5950
2 hours ago, CarGuy7a said:

Actually it's the other way around. Stock maps are excessively lean from factory for fuel economy and emission requirements around the world, so adding a better flowing intake/air filter and open aftermarket exhaust makes this "stock" lean situation even worse. On the other hand I'm pretty sure Akra tests their exhausts to be "safe to run" with a stock air filter and the baffle installed. 

You are correct. But yeah, your still going to be fine with the exhaust.

Too add to this, my bike BEFORE tune didn't have the baffle and the snorkel was removed. It was still ok. 

M. Hausknecht
11 hours ago, Blackhawk88 said:

Hey guys,

I just bought a new 2024 MT07 about a month ago. I've put about 30 miles on it and just bought an Akrapovic carbon full exhaust from STG. Now, I've heard of this great debate on whether or not an ECU flash or tune like a power commander is necessary to stop your engine from burning alive and damaging the bike. Some say you must tune it and others say Akra exhausts are designed with stock fuel mapping in mind and not needed.

I reached out to Akra and they said a tune is not needed, but recommended. I also reached out to three different Yamaha dealers and two said needs a tune/ecu flash (Don't want to void my brand new warranty) and 1 said listen to Akra. Delving into DynoJets' Power Commander 6, I reached out to DynoJet and they said "obviously" it's needed, however the only tune available on the PC 6 for the '24 MT07 is the stock exhaust/intake  and would need to bring the bike to a dyno to have them map it and load tune onto the PC. So even if I went the route of a PC6, it doesn't even have the correct tune on it for a full after market exhaust and doesn't sound like anyone does. 

Does anyone have any insight and advice for this dilemma? It seems like a lot of trouble just to make the bike sound better. (I mean it sounds awesome on YouTube)

To sum it up, I just want the Akra exhaust to not destroy my brand new motorcycle...and by that I mean running too lean and hot to burn up the cylinders from what I've read. 

Someone throw me a lifeline here please...

Thank you

Oy! Yes, there is an internet "great debate" about whether an after-market pipe requires an adjustment to air-fuel ratios, mostly because the opiners only know what they've done and that they haven't blown up their engine. I'll try to provide some clarity. The stock ecu mapping is both lean in spots (to comply with emissions requirements that don't apply under all operating conditions) and rich in other spots (because it is safer for the motor). Fortunately, under the circumstances where engine damage is most likely, high load/higher rpms (think WTO in 3d-5th gear), the mixture on 10% ethanol fuel is a bit rich and a little bit richer still on alky-free pump gas. The mixture is lean at lower rpms and lower throttle openings, where the load on the engine is lower, so that the increased heat produced by a lean mixture is minimal. When you put a better flowing pipe on the CP2, the motor will run a little leaner but not a lot leaner because the snorkle on the airbox is the most restrictive element in the flow of air into and out of the motor. So, if you don't remove the snorkle but do add a pipe, you'll be a little bit leaner but not enough to do damage (at least riding on the street). If you remove the snorkle and add a pipe, you'll see overly lean mixtures with the stock mapping over much of the rev range. This is bad, especially if you enjoy full throttle runs. Having said all this, engine damage due to a lean mixture is typically very gradual. The piston crowns begin to distort, ring lands start to soften, pistons rings can eventually start to flutter and break, but except in extreme cases (been there, done that, got the t-shirt), all this takes time. Very close inspection of spark plugs (using a lighted magnifier loupe) can reveal darkish "spots" on the central insulator (far enough along in the deterioration); they are little bits of aluminum from the top of the piston. 

There are very good reasons beyond safer/better performing fuel mapping for an ecu flash (there are no good reasons for using a Power Commander unless it is the only way to adjust fuel mapping, not the case with the CP2 motor). Experienced tuners will typically lower the temperature when the cooling fan switches on (better for the motor but not the emissions), turn off the "fuel cut on deceleration" (eliminates much of the jerkiness when you shut the throttle and then reopen it, also not good for emissions), and add spark advance if you're willing to run 91-93 octane gas (more power !). You will be happier and so will your motor!

A word about warranty here in the US. You don't "void" the warranty if you put a pipe on and/or get an ecu flash. However, if you seek warranty coverage for an issue that could be caused by either the pipe or the flash, your claim will be denied. Your choice.

• Like 5

Blackhawk88

Thank you guys for all the insight. I’m learning a lot from all of you. I think what I’ll do is send my ECU in for a flash job at 2WDW. 🤙

• Like 6

Paulb5950

You definitely will not regret it, highly recommend looking into doing intake at some point down the line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Blackhawk88
Posted (edited)

Installing a DNA stage 2 air filter with air box lid. Got rid of the oem air filter and lid with snorkel. May be a stupid question, but what about that second rubber snorkel inside airbox coming from air intake into the airbox itself? I can’t find anything on that part but looks like it should stay put. Anybody install on newer MT07 recently?

Edited by Blackhawk88

sweetscience

You must be referring to the two trumpet shaped rubber tubes that connect to the throttle body called velocity stacks.  There are many reasons for this, but Yamaha tuned the bike with these specific length velocity stacks to rob us of power.  However, there are some tuners that sell race velocity stacks i.e. Spears Racing, that do improve intake performance and retain the stock airbox.    

Most folks replace the entire airbox with the Hord Intake for the best stage one performance upgrade (intake, exhaust, tune). 

Other intake airbox upgrades are the Carbon Smith (sold by Bellisimoto), Yoshimura, etc.  Keep in mind that replacing the airbox may prohibit clearance when installing certain aftermarket rear shocks.