The MT-07 Forum

Do I need to take any additional steps after putting the DB killer back in? (Akra Carbon, no tune)

navid

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I bought a used FZ07 and the seller ran a Akra Carbon without a DB killer and no tune. I'll be putting the DB killer back in.

Do I need to take any more steps or will the ECU automatically adjust the fueling/timing for the added backpressure? Any advice is appreciated.

M. Hausknecht

The ecu doesn't adjust to changes in the exhaust system. I've always made fueling changes when I've installed an after-market exhaust but it seems many do not, at least with the CP2 motor. Your bike will run better with an ecu flash but I can't tell you that you will in all certainty damage your motor without a flash. The change between baffled and unbaffled doesn't seem to matter, according to https://2wheeldynoworks.com/. It's where I'd go for a flash (I have an after-market ecu, so no flash).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input. The cost of the flash is not a big issue for me in the long run. I just don't want to give up the good fuel economy that I'm hoping out of this bike (even by 15%) as my bike is my daily. 

I heard that the Akra Carbon with the baffle is ok without a flash, but I admit that flash is always better.

Edited by navid

klx678
2 hours ago, navid said:

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I bought a used FZ07 and the seller ran a Akra Carbon without a DB killer and no tune. I'll be putting the DB killer back in.

Do I need to take any more steps or will the ECU automatically adjust the fueling/timing for the added backpressure? Any advice is appreciated.

Do the smart thing, contact Akrapovic and ask them.  Who would know better?    I did that before buying a Delkevic exhaust.  I contacted them and asked about the sound level (they said around 96 dB, I got 96 dB at 5000-6000 rpm sustained with my trusty phone app volume meter).  Then I asked if the bike would need a reflash to which they said no, it will work fine (seems fine to me).

• Like 1

sweetscience

Bruh, the bike is already running lean stock.  With the pipe, it's lean even more!  Good for fuel economy, which suits your taste.  Obviously does not bode well for engine longevity.  If you don't believe, check the condition of spark plugs.  Ashen white, shocking.  Please consider this if you plan to keep the bike indefinitely.  

On the flipside, with a flash, you will love the bike all over again, best believe.  With the sacrifice of losing marginal fuel economy.