The MT-07 Forum

Gear shift support.

A while back I bought a cheap (£20 - £25) gear shift support to try, it’s obviously a Chinese copy of a Racetorx product and I wasn’t expecting to notice much difference as the gear change on the mt07 felt pretty similar to other bikes I’ve owned, however straight away on the first ride after fitting, gear changes felt much more positive and where before I might get the occasional missed hurried shift at max revs if I was a bit sloppy that doesn’t seem to happen since.

So it seems that I’ve cured a problem I didn’t know I had!

The Chinese one seems to be decent quality, at the end of the day it’s just an aluminium bracket with a needle bearing but if after awhile the anodising comes off or some other issue I would definitely buy the proper Racetorx (£70) one now I’ve experienced the benefits.

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg

• Like 2

Would be interested to see if anyone else has positive reviews of this. Was looking at these the other day on ali express. 

sweetscience

I have the Gilles version, which has a different design.  It's mounted to the sprocket guard instead of the stator cover. 

I find with the combination of the shift shaft support and aftermarket rearsets,  misshifts are reduced significantly.  Why?  Because slop is eliminated at the external portion of the transmission shifter linkage.  

Now if want to take it further, you can install Factory Pro's internal beefier stopper lever spring with a bearinged stopper lever.  Supposed to make shifting more tact and crisp.  I haven't installed these parts yet, though.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

I also have the Giles version on my track bike. I have noticed that it has almost eliminated missed shifts between 4th and 5th gears after adding this support.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

1 hour ago, Evill_Ed said:

I also have the Giles version on my track bike. I have noticed that it has almost eliminated missed shifts between 4th and 5th gears after adding this support.

Ed

4th to 5th was almost always where any missed shift would be, now doesn’t happen, didn’t expect much from such a cheap part but probably the best £20 - £25 spent.

• Like 1

Walker

I just have a chinese clone, but purchased it expecting absolutely nothing and having no issues, but I did notice that it does in fact shift better now.

• 4 weeks later...
19MTMike

I also bought the same Chinese NICECNC unit that @AP996 has.  The quality seems good and the fit was spot on.  Got it off of evilbay for $20, so it was a small risk, in the scheme of things.  After installing it and riding about 75mi, I can only say that upshifting "might" be a bit better.  And, interestingly, downshifting seems to be a bit more positive.  Also, for the record, I consider myself to be more of a conservative rider.  So, those who run a quickshifter or are banging through the gears might see a more noticeable improvement.  YMMV.

Mike

MT07 shift support.jpg