The MT-07 Forum

Air Filter Alternative

I know the hordpower is ideal but since JD discontinued it what should be the best next step for maximum power? 

*with a tune specific for the intake and exhaust ofc*

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

I have the Hord Power, and I love it. I have heard that this item is hard to get at times. 

I have seen a few guys at the track running the new Yoshimura airbox. It seems to be a good performer as well. You may want to look at that. It will be listed as an R7 part, but it will fit the FZ / MT.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

tomlichu
2 hours ago, logank said:

I know the hordpower is ideal but since JD discontinued it what should be the best next step for maximum power? 

*with a tune specific for the intake and exhaust ofc*

Did he discontinue it? Usually JD removes the listing for Hordpower when there are too many orders and he cannot fulfill it within a reasonable amount of time. He posted this on the Hordpower Facebook group on May 26th.

"Yes, our airbox for the FZ-07 (and variants) is hard to get right now. We have a wait list that stretches probably a month long. We ARE shipping them, it's just that we can't keep up with demand. Your patience is appreciated!"

If you are looking for increasing peak power, there is not much more peak power you will gain with a tune + after-market exhaust, this is just the inherent limitation of the CP2 engine. It seems the general trend is people ~70 hp peak, with +/- 2 HP, does not really matter which aftermarket exhaust you get for power (build quality will differ at different $$$). The exhaust and tune will help with engine smoothness and increasing torque throughout the rev range.

There is another thread about the Carbonsmith MWR Racing intake from Bellisimoto here

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/air-filters/CARBONSMITH-MWR-Racing-Intake-Solution-RIS-for-Yamaha-FZ-07-MT-07-YZF-R7

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I have the Hord Power, and I love it. I have heard that this item is hard to get at times. 

I have seen a few guys at the track running the new Yoshimura airbox. It seems to be a good performer as well. You may want to look at that. It will be listed as an R7 part, but it will fit the FZ / MT.

Ed

Yeah, id be looking for a cheaper alternative lol, not looking to spend $400 for a couple extra hp but if yk of any cheaper options please lmk

4 hours ago, logank said:

Yeah, id be looking for a cheaper alternative lol, not looking to spend $400 for a couple extra hp but if yk of any cheaper options please lmk

You can always make your own, cost me less than £100 and works well.

IMG_1067.jpeg

M. Hausknecht

J.D Hord is still making his airbox/intake system. He has difficulty getting the parts he needs from Yamaha but when he can, he is shipping new systems. Unfortunately, there is nothing comparable. The Yosh and Carbonsmith intakes help develop power but their foam filters require frequent cleaning and reoiling. Ok on a race bike where regular maintenance is accepted; kind of a PITA on the street. In any event, the solid flash plus pipe and removed snorkle regularly gets 70-72 rwhp, while a good intake gets you up to 74-75rwhp. The wackadoos on FB claiming near 80rwhp with an intake, tune and pipe, have been misled by seriously optimistic dyno settings or their own imaginations.

• Like 4