The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Lubricating Swingarm and Linkage Bearings

YZEtc

Holy cow that's a fantastic write up!
Very very clear and detailed.  

I just wished you'd have gotten  a new rear shock to replace while you were in there, and perhaps a new exhaust.
im definitely going to save those images for future reference!!!

Great work!!

• Like 1

Great write up, to my everlasting shame I have never done this to any
modern bike even when owning them for years and 40,000 miles.

Thanks, guys.
I posted that as a quickie.
A bona-fide step-by-step presentation would be a lot more pics and a lot more words.

Pretty soon I'll will be doing the same to the steering head bearings and probably changing the fork oil since the forks will be off, anyway, and I'd like to be certain the fork oil level is actually set to specification.

FZRDR, a new Penske or Ohlins would be awful nice, but that will have to wait ($$).
Probably some day.
I'd like very much the pleasant sound of a quality aftermarket exhaust system, but I'm riding in stealth mode.

• Like 1

Great write up and pics, thanks. So if you had some rigid foot pegs (rear-sets) could you put jackstands under the pegs to support the bike or does that side plate need to come off to remove the swingarm? Are the two dogbones welded together on that collar? Interesting that the SA and dogbones are steel, I actually had some aluminum dogbones made for the SV. Did you remove the needle bearings to clean and lube? The R6, GSXR and SV all had a rubber membrane holding the needles in that seemed to be a possible source of holding dirt.

• Like 1

Yes I agree with taking something almost new apart to grease, as I did with my 2001 XR200R, and found no grease in the steering. The other thing I will do to my FZ is, put old style fork boots, the reason is, it makes the seals last because of no bugs or grit. I will change the fork oil, add emulators

Great write up and pics, thanks. So if you had some rigid foot pegs (rear-sets) could you put jackstands under the pegs to support the bike or does that side plate need to come off to remove the swingarm? Are the two dogbones welded together on that collar? Interesting that the SA and dogbones are steel, I actually had some aluminum dogbones made for the SV. Did you remove the needle bearings to clean and lube? The R6, GSXR and SV all had a rubber membrane holding the needles in that seemed to be a possible source of holding dirt.
The two frame side plates that the footpeg holders bolt to come off in order to remove the nut and long bolt holding the dog bone link in place. The two dogbones are welded in place, making it a one-piece link.
The bearing needles stood in place and I merely smeared new grease over them, over the collars that pass through the bearings, on the oil seal lips, and on the linkage bolts and swingarm pivot bolt.
The FZ-07 has a similar caramel-colored needle retainer on the linkage bearings.I have read this helps supply lubrication due to the material it's made of.
The way I see it, if you're actually getting dirt to the bearing needles, something is worn-out and needs fixing.Over time, the grease dries-out and parts start to gall and corrode, and this will happen much, much sooner with dirt bikes due to the dirt and water they see.If you ever hear a [em]squeaky-squeaky [/em]noise when somebody sits on their bike and compresses the rear suspension, it's probably due to this.

• 3 years later...

That bolt goes all the way to the other side of the bike. The aluminum bracket in your picture will act as a wrench, since it's capturing the head of that bolt, so just remove the nut from the other side. Though you'll have to refasten that bracket to the frame before you go after the nut. 

• Like 1

One of the most neglected parts of the bike next to triples and chain

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Three years, already.

Time flies.

I still own the bike and I am still enjoying riding it, and it will be time to do this job, again, before April comes.

By the way, I did install an Ohlins rear shock about four months after these pics were taken.

It works very well.

Besides the chassis bearings, I like to freshen the fluids in the fork and shock every off season, so while the bike is up in the air, the shock gets sent to an Ohlins service shop for a basic service.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Burgermeiser said:

How did you remove this piece?

image.jpg

See the head of that bolt toward the top of that piece?

That's the long bolt (called the swingarm pivot shaft) that holds the swingarm to the frame.

That must be removed, which means you need to support the rear of the bike by the subframe and not a swingarm stand.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...