The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Tool Kit?

biker2014

Hello!

Can anyone recommend an all in one kind of tool kit for motorcycle maintenance?

On many of the step by step and installations videos I see various tools named often, what would be a good set to loo out for?  And if not an all on one, what else could be seen as must have tools?

THANKS ALL!!!

This forum has been great for me!

Guest whitegas
Hello! 
Can anyone recommend an all in one kind of tool kit for motorcycle maintenance?

On many of the step by step and installations videos I see various tools named often, what would be a good set to loo out for?  And if not an all on one, what else could be seen as must have tools?

THANKS ALL!!!

This forum has been great for me!

I think the most important thing you need is a torque wrench. Get a 3/8 inch or 1/4 inch drive. I know 1/4 is recommended for motorcycles, but I use 3/8.  If you do get a torque wrench, also get a regular small ratchet drive of the same drive size (3/8 or 1/4) as the torque wrench.

And then get a metric hex socket set (be sure it is the same drive as the one you got- 3/8 or 1/4). Along with a separate 27mm hex socket (optional but necessary if you plan on tightening your own chain). And an extension bar set. And then metric hex driver set to go along with it, with 4mm smallest.

Phillips screw driver is another thing you'll use often assuming you don't have one. You might need a precision screw driver set, that comes in handy as I've always used the small flat head for various things.

Get an adjustable wrench.

Combination wrenches are optional but good to have. Thus far, I have not used combination wrenches, but I know it would've made a few things much easier.

Basically torque wrench (with hex socket and driver), regular ratchet drive, adjustable wrench, and phillips are the main things I use.

• Premium Member

I have this set:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-140-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00948140000P?prdNo=7&sellerId=SEARS&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

and this 3/8 torque wrench:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in-dr-digi-click-torque-wrench/p-00913918000P?prdNo=5&sellerId=SEARS&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Can't see needing much else and hard to beat the prices and quality imo (torque wrench should be about $80 in stores right now) :)

• Global Moderator

Here's a important tip from @mxrider:

Don't use Phillips screwdrivers, use JIS screwdrivers. (Japanese Industrial Standard)

screws_JIS_phillips_screwdriver_angle.jpg

• Premium Member
Here's a important tip from @mxrider: 
Don't use Phillips screwdrivers, use JIS screwdrivers. (Japanese Industrial Standard)

screws_JIS_phillips_screwdriver_angle.jpg

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I will have to ty and find myself some JIS screwdrivers

• Global Moderator

I received a Yamaha set of JIS screw drivers as a gift and it really makes a difference. No more stripping those heads.

There are lots of options on eBay. The brands Vessel and Hozan are made in Japan too.

LINK

Two things I can no longer live without after being introduced to them are:

Magnetic Tool Tray

Stubby Ratchet

A headlamp and a little camping stool like this, are also super helpful if you have them.

(Disclaimer: I have never used any of the above products, but they are similar to ones I have.)

Archived