The MT-07 Forum

Hepco & Becker Instrument Riser

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

I ordered one of these this past Friday and it showed up this afternoon. Super easy install and helps with one of the main ergo issues I have with the bike.

What does it do? This bracket will lift the cluster by 3/4" and move it towards the rider by 1.5".

Why is this useful? By relocating the cluster, you can completely remove the need to physically move your head in order to see the readout. I can just glance down with my eyes quickly without moving my head at all. It has the added benefit of giving you more space to work with if you install a windscreen/deflector to get your keys in as well as mount any accessories you care to.

What's in the box? It consists of a single bracket that the instrument cluster bolts onto along with stainless mounting hardware. It's powder coated black and blends in well with the stock look. The hardware uses the same size hex bolts as the rest of the bike, so your factory wrenches will let you install this no problem.

Are there drawbacks? The only one I've found is that it places the right edge of the cluster about 1/16" away from the brake master, but it doesn't come into contact. I could probably loosen everything now that it's installed and shift it a bit to get more clearance if it becomes an issue.

BOacWrf.jpg

Installation is as easy as unbolting the cluster, attaching it to the bracket using the supplied hardware, and then bolting everything back unto the stock location. While it comes with directions on how to do this, one thing that they leave out that greatly assists with putting it all together is to unplug the cluster from the wiring harness to attach it to the bracket. There's a rubber boot that fits around the plug and pulling it back reveals a single tab you press on and the connecter comes off easily. This will also let you reroute the harness over the handlebars to put less tension on the wiring after tightening everything down.

BOIoiip.jpg

Purchased here:

http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Instrument-Riser--Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5051.html

• Premium Member

Dumb question: how tall are you? I haven't picked mine up yet, so I don't know if this will be an issue (I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam)

Im 6'0 and a 31 inch inseam...im not sure how moving the gauge CLOSER to you is helpful? I would think it would be better if it was raised up vertically and actually moved CLOSER to the front tire.

Thoughts?

Im 6'0 and a 31 inch inseam...im not sure how moving the gauge CLOSER to you is helpful? I would think it would be better if it was raised up vertically and actually moved CLOSER to the front tire. 
Thoughts?
That's actually what I was thinking when I read this. It seems like it would just move it further off the bars without putting it any closer to my line of sight. I'm 6ft 32in inseam, and I think it'd take a couple inches to bring it up high enough for me to easily see. Not that I'm saying this is a bad product or anything, I just don't know if it would move it enough to make a difference for me.

Im disappointed. As it stands, i really have to look down quite a bit to actually see my gauge. I was hoping that this bracket for a relatively inexpensive sub 40 dollar price would alleviate the issue. As it stands, unless im not seeing something (har) i dont think it will.

• Premium Member
Thoughts?
By looking at the picture of the bracket, I wonder if you could just turn it around so that it curves towards the front end instead.  That might work.

fooschnickens

It might be a YMMV type thing with the visibility because I'm a bit of a freak of nature with a stubby torso and gangly arms. I don't see why you couldn't angle the bracket some to give it a slightly different angle, but you're really limited by the length of the harness by how much you can modify its position.

I really got this to aid in installing a windscreen so I could get my keys in easier and give me a bit of space to install a phone mount, the added visibility of the instrument cluster was an unexpected bonus.

Well, you're primary reasoning for it definitely makes sense. It has me wondering if there is a different mount that has the sole purpose of higher visibility for us tall folk.

scordiaboy515
Scordia, i may have missed your thread (if there was one). Mind linking?
  I had a thread for this a few months back, pics were deleted for some reason...will post them again, here they are.....wlKAzWN.jpgNpzIVg9.jpgwf9mxWQ.jpg 

fooschnickens
Well, you're primary reasoning for it definitely makes sense. It has me wondering if there is a different mount that has the sole purpose of higher visibility for us tall folk.

This is the only one that I know of on the market currently, but making one for that sole purpose wouldn't be too difficult.

You're really only limited by two things: the length of the cluster harness, and whether or not you want an aftermarket windscreen. There's a fair bit of slack in the harness once you reroute it to go over the handlebars instead of under them. I tried leaving it underneath when installing it but it put more tension on the harness than I cared for. Running it over top fixed that issue completely.

scordiaboy515

....I made these, they work great ...I also have a Puig sport and there are no clearance issues, but it also helps being a machinist ;)

....I made these, they work great ...I also have a Puig sport and there are no clearance issues, but it also helps being a machinist ;)
So...Mr Machinist. 
How many american dollars would be required for you to chuck up a few of those pieces of metal in your lathe, cut em up and then wing them my way? :)

Im serious.  I could probably source tubes of the appropriate length but ill pay a few dollars for convenience.

scordiaboy515
So...Mr Machinist. 
How many american dollars would be required for you to chuck up a few of those pieces of metal in your lathe, cut em up and then wing them my way? :)

Im serious.  I could probably source tubes of the appropriate length but ill pay a few dollars for convenience.
.....one small problem, I work for a government contractor, and I am not allowed to make anything for myself.  I slipped my set in one night when I was on 2nd shift, very risky thing to do...If I had my own lathe I would make them by the dozens cuz I know they would sell....wish I could help ya and anybody else on the forum that wanted a set :(.  I have the dimensions if you so desire. 

@fooschnickens have  you tried like one of the guys mentioned, to turn the mount around? With the curve facing up/forward, rather than down/backwards? :)

fooschnickens
@fooschnickens have  you tried like one of the guys mentioned, to turn the mount around? With the curve facing up/forward, rather than down/backwards? :)
The problem with doing that is that the "spacers" are welded onto the bracket itself. So flipping it over would negate the benefit of having it raised up in the first place. I suppose you could grind them off, but at that point you may as well have fabbed up something yourself from scratch. 
I'll try and get some better pics of it over the weekend.

The problem with doing that is that the "spacers" are welded onto the bracket itself. So flipping it over would negate the benefit of having it raised up in the first place. I suppose you could grind them off, but at that point you may as well have fabbed up something yourself from scratch. 
I'll try and get some better pics of it over the weekend.

Allright! - That makes sense. I just couldnt quite get that impression from the photos, but I get what youre saying :)
Im located in Europe .. and there isnt much on the market similar to this product. I guess we need to keep ears and eyes open! :D

fooschnickens

Here's a better picture of what the bracket itself looks like. You can see that's it's basically a flat piece of metal that supports the stock instrument cluster and raises it up by way of the welded on extensions that attach to the stock mounting point.

p0BNo0w.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

You can say that again! Nice job on relocating the instrument panel. I'm going to do that also.

modmaster

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine installed yesterday. My first impression was that $40 was alot for a pretty simple bit of metal. Anyway, the bracket moves the gauge forward as much as up, so the increase in height is not that much. However it does seem to free some bar space for attaching gadgets such as a ram mount. I also had a bit of trouble figuring out which washer was which. It was hard to tell from the diagram which one when in which place, as they are quite similar, but i think I got it right.

• Premium Member

Ergos, like this one, are unique and purely subjective.  For example, I'm 6' and 33" inseam and I don't have any trouble seeing the panel as it is stock, but I sit back farther than most on the seat, from the pix I've seen in magazines.

Archived