The MT-07 Forum

Cat converters

jbird

• Premium Member

A cat does not come with exhaust systems and inspections will not break down your exhaust system to check for a cat.

A cat does not come with exhaust systems and inspections will not break down your exhaust system to check for a cat.

Some states check emissions, in those states the lack of the catalytic converter will fail the test. Best answer for the OP is check you state laws in regard to state inspections. If they do not test motorcycle emissions then buy what you want, install it, and forget about it. No aftermarket exhaust you purchase will have a cat included.

• Premium Member

Some states check emissions, in those states the lack of the catalytic converter will fail the test. Best answer for the OP is check you state laws in regard to state inspections. If they do not test motorcycle emissions then buy what you want, install it, and forget about it. No aftermarket exhaust you purchase will have a cat included.
Can you provide me with the website (written where its required) of which state(s) smog test motorcycles?  No offense, but I don't believe this statement is true and I rather have correct information for the people reading this forum. 
I've researched this in the past and didn't find a single state that smog tests motorcycles. There's inspections, yes. However, that doesn't include them hooking your bike up and testing emissions how traditionally a car goes through the testing. If I'm wrong that's fine, but just want to make sure that I understand where this is coming from.

Can you provide me with the website (written where its required) of which state(s) smog test motorcycles?  No offense, but I don't believe this statement is true and I rather have correct information for the people reading this forum. 
I've researched this in the past and didn't find a single state that smog tests motorcycles. There's inspections, yes. However, that doesn't include them hooking your bike up and testing emissions how traditionally a car goes through the testing. If I'm wrong that's fine, but just want to make sure that I understand where this is coming from.

If you read my post I said some states check emissions (I was not differentiating between cars and motorcycles at this point). I then went on to say check if your state tests motorcycle emissions. I never claimed x or y state does in fact check motorcycle emissions, and I'm not about to hunt through every states inspection laws regard motorcycles. If you are that interested then by all means do the work yourself. Or you can let people educate themselves by ensuring they are within the laws issued within their own state of residence.

http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/emission-testing.aspx

Here's an example. Motorcycles are not listed as exempt for NM emissions testing. But I don't live in NM, so I don't know how strict they are etc. Which is why I told the OP to check his local laws instead of telling him a yes or no answer since not only do states have different emissions and inspection laws, but even counties / parishes / townships have their own laws as well. In my hometown in VA if your vehicle failed a Db test you'd be required to take an emission test as well. This isn't a yearly inspection, but something angry deputies would nail bikes for occasionally. Inspection stations across America are also supposed to fail your bike for an exhaust that is not DOT approved, aka every single aftermarket exhaust riders install on their bikes. But they don't, or the dealer would lose revenue from the sales.

This is accurate for NY. Omg em mission tests are not req. for motos

Archived