The MT-07 Forum

Lubing your chain-How often?

tino206

• Premium Member

How often do you lube your chain? what is the indicator it needs to be lubed? 

What sort of lube/grease do you use?

Hmmmm we are supposed to grease/lube the chain? I guess I better start doing that. Well 6000 miles late through rain,mud,sand is better than nothing. Guess that might get rid of the gritty sound that the chain makes as it moves.

J/k I do it about every other week which works out about every 500 miles. Sometimes I get lazy and it is closer to 700 miles between cleanings.

I do every few hrs of riding also. Or right after riding in the rain or washing my bike.

@admin which oiler will you be getting? I just got my loobman oiler and have yet to test it out. Kinda of a pita to install, the instructions can be pretty confusing.

Clean and lube about every 300 miles with Motul. Indicator? I guess when enough of it has flung off and it looks dry. But that is hard to genuinely judge.

• Premium Member

Great feedback guys! What cleaner do you recommend and what oil/grease?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Dupont teflon chain saver in the yellow spray can every 400-600 miles.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Roads are dirty right now so I'm cleaning and lubing every couple hours. Wipe the grit off with wd-40 and lube with PJ1 blue label. Very little fling with PJ1. I don't spray it on. Spray it into a cup and brush it on with a small paint brush. Too much over spray otherwise.

• Premium Member
Dupont teflon chain saver in the yellow spray can every 400-600 miles.
That's what I've done on my last few bikes, and it seemed to be OK.  I don't ride in the rain much, but if I ride through a shower for more than a mile or two, I consider it time to re-lube. 

Why can't left turners see us?

pantheraleo

Clean with kerosene, cuz its very cheap, and is a nice cleaning agent. The trick is to ride for 10 mins or so to warm up the chain before you start cleaning.

Bel-Ray for the lube. It stays on the chain, and doesn't attract dirt very much. Every 500 miles for my interval.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Archived