The MT-07 Forum

Florida law on exhaust systems

Beemer

In case anyone in Florida was wondering what the law is on modifying your exhaust: (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

http://archive.flsenate.gov/Statutes/Index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0316%2ftitl0316.htm&StatuteYear=2007&Title=-%3e2007-%3eChapter+316

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Washington state law is the same. I also have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it either.

Washington state law is the same. I also have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it either.
One would probably have to be getting a speeding ticket and maybe piss off the cop before he got you on your pipes ... in most cases anyway.

Beemer

In case anyone in Florida was wondering what the law is on modifying your exhaust: (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured. 
http://archive.flsenate.gov/Statutes/Index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0316%2ftitl0316.htm&StatuteYear=2007&Title=-%3e2007-%3eChapter+316

Hahahaha.... someone forgot to tell all of Daytona(Bike week)that they're making to much noise! P-) 

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

@Beemer:
> The cops were too focused on bikinis to think about it, heh!

Trust me. I was just there for the Day200 race as part of a pit crew. The people wearing the bikinis had no business wearing them. And we're not talking about "just a little" we're talking eye bleach.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Floridian here. With as many bikes as we have, the only way to get a ticket for an exhaust is if it is ridiculously loud.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Floridian here. With as many bikes as we have, the only way to get a ticket for an exhaust is if it is ridiculously loud.
Even then...you've really got to piss off a cop to get a ticket down here.

Never heard of anyone getting ticketed in FL for a modified exhaust ever...and there are some that should be!!!

Doesn't Florida still fry people in the electric chair?
Only if Granny falling asleep with her hair straightener on counts.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Quite a few states have similar laws indicating that you can't modify a vehicle and you need to keep it with stock parts. Those laws are hardly enforced.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

The Florida and Washington laws do not mandate stock exhaust, just that you legally cannot have an exhaust that is louder than stock.

@beemer: > The cops were too focused on bikinis to think about it, heh!

Trust me. I was just there for the Day200 race as part of a pit crew. The people wearing the bikinis had no business wearing them. And we're not talking about "just a little" we're talking eye bleach.
If my pit crew wore bikinis I would be distracted, too!

Beemer

Archived