The MT-07 Forum

M4 silenced.

cborcafz07

A few days ago I decided to try and quiet down the M4 exhaust a little more. Sounds amazing without the baffle in, but after a while it was just to loud. With the baffle in it becomes to raspy for my liking and still get quite a bit of backfire on decel. So I ordered some muffler pack, got some mesh wire from Ace and wrapped it around the baffle. Then stuck the baffle back in. It's considerable quieter now, but still loud enough for cars to hear me around them. Has a deeper sound now, butt dyno says I got a little bit of power back and I don't get so much crackling on decel. Overall very happy with it and feel this is the way it should sound with the baffle in from M4. 

IMG_20150413_212340774_zpsew48jfee.jpg

IMG_20150413_213139162_zpsnmiwsqwt.jpg

IMG_20150413_215342597_zpsgyjk48dc.jpg

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Nice job! +1 Ingenuity points!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

+2 ... wrap it more for even more sound deadening.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did the same to my pipe and I found it made it sound like the stock exhaust, and that it was holding too much heat. Then I tried covering the DB killer with sheet metal and punching out half the holes. This kind of helped, but really it just took away from the barky sound of the pipe, and was still just as loud at low rpm. Finally I contacted M4 and they offer an accessory DB killer called the Q4 that is supposed to be quieter than the original piece. I bought it for $50, I'm anxious to see what it does.

I can't seem to get rid of the loud popping with my pipe but if I could suppress it some that would be nice but I don't want it sounding like the stock pipe, that would be a total waste of money on the aftermarket pipe. It seems like a good idea but let us know how it's holding up from time to time. If it's going to disintegrate/cause any problems I won't bother with the task.

Beemer

Archived