The MT-07 Forum

Ixil fitment issue: I'm a wuss

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

So I had some free time and finally tore into the bike to install the new exhaust. Taking the stocker off was a simple affair and it was sitting on my workbench in about 10 minutes. Then the "fun" began. I weasel the new header pipe into place and start lining up the flanges and already I see that things are a bit off. I figure I'll at least get a few turns on the nuts to see if maybe I just have it at an odd angle and it'll eventually line up. No dice.

I took both header pipes and lined them up and the difference is pretty apparent:

You can see that one pipe is off by well over 1/8", and I'm not about to take a dremel to the head or the pipe to make up for that. I've tried flexing the pipes, but there's a brace welded in about 8" downstream of the flanges so nothing will budge. I tried really tightening it down, but all that did was slightly gouge the head where the pipe didn't line up.

So that's basically where I stand. To return or not to return?

• Premium Member

I don't think you're being picky since you have a reasonable expectation for it to fit properly.
If it happened to me, I'd call where I got it from and ask for a pre-paid return shipper and a refund.

Apparently Ixil's quality control is lacking. Too bad since it's a cool sounding exhaust.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

First contact Dillon at Dobeck Performance, they have just ordered several Ixil full systems, probably working on R & D right now and may be able give some insight on the issue. He seems willing to help out even when it's a system not bought through them. Worse case scenario, you return the item and order through Dobeck and they'll make sure it's a proper fit before they send it to you.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

fooschnickens

I bought it through Dobeck so they're my first line of contact. I'm just not familiar with how bike exhausts fit on the whole as I've never bothered to install one before. All my bikes up until now were in the vintage category, so the exhausts were so worn out that they had a nice sound to them on their own haha. I'll shoot Dillon an email and see what the next step should be.

return for sure. they should have been using a jig before welding in the brace. I don't see the exhuast threads mention it, but there is a large crush washer in the exhaust port against which the lips of the pipe seat. This is a single-use washer and needs to be replaced with a new one and a dab of high temp silicone. Did the new exhaust come with the washers?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

You could bend that pipe into shape if you wanted to but its hard to tell from the pic whether it just has to be bent up or up and back. It definitely is doable with a ratchet strap and a 2x4 or piece of wood to go between the headers. I actually have a Yoshi pipe out for delivery today myself and am excited to get it on when I get home from work. I would definitely be pissed if I waited 2 weeks to have to send it back and wait another 2 but I would just wind up fixing it myself. Thats just me cause I lack the patience to sit around and wait for stuff.

return for sure. they should have been using a jig before welding in the brace. I don't see the exhuast threads mention it, but there is a large crush washer in the exhaust port against which the lips of the pipe seat. This is a single-use washer and needs to be replaced with a new one and a dab of high temp silicone. Did the new exhaust come with the washers?
IXIL USA said that i could re use that washer... 
Everything ive read says otherwise.  Sigh...

Foo's, send the pipe back bro.  If it doesnt fit, you shouldnt have to force it.  I had to wiggle mine in there as it was not a simple plug and play like the stock exhaust.

fooschnickens
You could bend that pipe into shape if you wanted to but its hard to tell from the pic whether it just has to be bent up or up and back. It definitely is doable with a ratchet strap and a 2x4 or piece of wood to go between the headers. I actually have a Yoshi pipe out for delivery today myself and am excited to get it on when I get home from work. I would definitely be pissed if I waited 2 weeks to have to send it back and wait another 2 but I would just wind up fixing it myself. Thats just me cause I lack the patience to sit around and wait for stuff.
If I were bending them in it'd be one thing, but I don't have the tools/materials to bend them out. I reached out to Dillon to get the ball rolling on a return. Guess I'll put the stocker back on for now.

• Global Moderator

Looks great ! How did you manage to make them fit? Excessive force? Do you like the sound in person?

@fooschnickens,

Glad to hear you got the Ixil exhaust to fit finally.

One thing you will see with various exhaust brands is how well they fit. Some fit no problem and others need a good beating to fit.
For example, Akrapovic puts fitment at a high priority when making their exhaust.

We did not have any problems with fitment on the exhausts we have tested so far. Some definitely fit nicer than others but no issues.
Ixil exhausts, SC Project, and MIVV exhausts are on their way here for testing; we will see how they fit in a couple weeks.

Hopefully this is not an issue for more forum members. Be sure and let me know if anyone else is having issues.
The more info we have, the better.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

The black can looks awesome on that white bike.

What's funny is that ive got the rare, discontinued chrome can and i dig the black more!

fooschnickens
Looks great ! How did you manage to make them fit? Excessive force? Do you like the sound in person?
A buddy of mine with far more experience with bikes (and a length of 2x4) came over and we poked at it. He was initially agreeing with me about sending it back, but we decided we may as well try nudging it a bit to see if it made a difference since we had nothing to lose at that point. After a couple rounds we were able to get it to wiggle into place and it was easy from there. 
The only annoying thing is that one of the bolts holding the trim piece above the rear brake lever went... somewhere. And I'll be damned if I can find it. It's not on the garage floor and it's not tucked in any nooks on the bike that I can see. Even took the air wand and blew out everywhere we could reache. I guess it'll show up at some point, until then I'll run by home depot and see if I can find something similar to replace it with.

All in all, easy install apart from the slightly misaligned pipes. Mine didn't have the scuffing issue that others were reporting, but I also took the extra precaution and wrapped it in a rag to keep from scratching anything. My only gripe with it so far has to do with the baffles. In order to put them in/out, you have to remove the whole rear muffler assembly. You can get to one screw fine, but the upper one is right up against the swingarm. I'll probably find some lower profile screws than what was provided so that it doesn't rub anywhere. Other than that, it sounds great and looks the part. Really pleased with it.

Man, I think that's the best looking exhaust for the white fz07.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Nevermind, I'm just a wuss. 
b379d83a6a82afbe656b697b19981072.jpg
Now that's smashing.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Now that's smashing.
Agreed. The white rim tape is also awesome. 
Lookin' good @fooschnickens!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest cjwwd2
The black can looks awesome on that white bike. 
What's funny is that ive got the rare, discontinued chrome can and i dig the black more!
I'll take it off your hands  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Can the baffles/DB killers in the L3X be removed without removal of the can from the bike? I read somewhere that the whole system has to be disassembled to take them out or put them back in.

fooschnickens

I think it's possible if you have someone sit on the bike. The swingarm gets in the way of the top bolt when it sits under its own weight.

Can the baffles/DB killers in the L3X be removed without removal of the can from the bike? I read somewhere that the whole system has to be disassembled to take them out or put them back in.
You do not need to remove the exhaust to remove the baffles. 
http://i.imgur.com/1CLw9t9.jpg

fooschnickens

No, you really do. The problem is that the two retaining bolts face inward towards the swingarm. You can remove the lower one no problemo, but the upper one has the swingarm completely in the way. 
http://i.imgur.com/iRnB0jV.jpg

But! If you know of a way that you can take out a 1/2" bolt with 1/8" of clearance, I will happily listen and eat crow.

But! If you know of a way that you can take out a 1/2" bolt with 1/8" of clearance, I will happily listen and eat crow.

Guess if I get that exhaust I'll be drilling a hole in it! Looks like Ixil didn't think that part of the design through.  If you added a hole about 30° CCW looking from the rear, would that allow clearance?

yeah definitely should have put the holes at the 12 and 6 o-clock positions.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

fooschnickens

Guess if I get that exhaust I'll be drilling a hole in it! Looks like Ixil didn't think that part of the design through.  If you added a hole about 30° CCW looking from the rear, would that allow clearance?
Yeah, I actually plan on doing that eventually once I'm able to find where my bits ran off to. Luckily the inserts are the threaded part so you don't need to re-tap anything. 

Yeah, I actually plan on doing that eventually once I'm able to find where my bits ran off to. Luckily the inserts are the threaded part so you don't need to re-tap anything.
 Is this the same on the black L3X or is that why they discontinued the silver version?

Archived