The MT-07 Forum

Tail bag install question

dreadykrueger

dreadykrueger

I've been in need of a tail bag for a little while now and finally settled on the Nelson-Rigg CL-1060 S. Ordered it locally at a shop and should have it in tomorrow. I'll do a review once it's installed. Now I know they've changed the design a bit from the cl-1060 but for anyone who has that tail bag or any tail bag, how did you mount it to the tail? Did you prefer using the straps that come with our bikes or use the straps on the bag and tie them around the foot pegs?

• Premium Member

Mine is an Ogio tailbag and with that one I used a carabiner as a central connection point under the seat for the straps on the bag... saw a member here mention it several months ago so I tried it. It worked very well to hide the straps and makes removal quick and easy. Finding the initial strap positioning to allow the seat to fit over the straps/carabiner was the hard part for me.

I've been in need of a tail bag for a little while now and finally settled on the Nelson-Rigg CL-1060 S. Ordered it locally at a shop and should have it in tomorrow. I'll do a review once it's installed. Now I know they've changed the design a bit from the cl-1060 but for anyone who has that tail bag or any tail bag, how did you mount it to the tail? Did you prefer using the straps that come with our bikes or use the straps on the bag and tie them around the foot pegs?
I have that bag. I used two of the NR CL 1060S straps around the passenger seat so I can get to the locked compartment without messing with the straps. 

I have a kriega us20 and use the straps that are part of the pillion seat. It almost seems like they were designed to work with this bag.

I have that exact bag and do the same as Randy. Use two straps and have them going around the seat tight. Have had no problems so far.

dreadykrueger

So my bag came in today and I decided to mount it using two straps wrapped around the pillion seat. It fits perfectly and securely and has more than enough room to carry things I need for my daily commuting. I'll post pics once I get it back from my shop. Having my 600 mile service done. I'll say this though. Now that I have it I have to swing my leg a little higher to get on the bike. Lol good thing I ran hurdles in high school and college

The pictures interest me. Didn't know I needed one of these until I saw some members post pics haha

I have the Wolfman tail bag. Lots of pics of my bike and tail bag in the Riding Game thread. I run the straps under the seat. Had to work a while to route (Route them so they do not loosen.) them and tension them good, but it is the most convenient option IMHO.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/peak-tail-bag

A good pic of my bike and bag.
http://fz07.org/thread/574/riding-game?page=32

Don't you wonder how our bretheren without tail bags get along. Do they wear backpacks, or just stuff their jacket pockets. Having a tail bag on an FZ07 makes so much sense.

• Premium Member

I have the Kriega 20 too, but I still just use a messenger bag for too and from work.
I got this one from REI for bike (bicycle) commuting years ago, but it is a brilliant design and works great for commuting on the FZ-07 too.

Why can't left turners see us?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

Im really liking the nelson rigg bag for ease of use. Correct me if im wrong, the kriega you have no way of accessing unless you dismantle the straps right? and the nelson is the opposite with a ziptop opening?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...

Im really liking the nelson rigg bag for ease of use. Correct me if im wrong, the kriega you have no way of accessing unless you dismantle the straps right? and the nelson is the opposite with a ziptop opening?

Not sure about the Kriega but the Nelson Rigg is an excellent bag. Looks really nice on the bike and is fully lockable. Ziptop opening is super handy for quick access too.
I'm beginning to think though, it may be too small for a weekend trip (I have the small sport bag, purchased for day to day riding). I'm seriously considering buying some saddlebags OR a Kriega to strap on top of the Nelson Rigg for those longer weekend journeys where I need more gear... Undecided yet though, saddle bags are just so damned expensive!!!

• Premium Member
Don't you wonder how our bretheren without tail bags get along. Do they wear backpacks, or just stuff their jacket pockets. Having a tail bag on an FZ07 makes so much sense.
Simple answer.... a tank bag ;)   

Love to ride!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Nelson Rigg bag and have the straps looped around the frame inside the "cargo area" under the seat. For the two rear straps I unbolted the two long bolts back there and put the large spacer through the loop on the strap, replaced it, and put the bolt back through the spacer.

Archived