The MT-07 Forum

brake caliper help!

chadfi

so this question is a little two sided, im a mechanic but also a cheapskate, im a master of the rattle can when it comes to paint jobs. 

yCX8R0A.jpg

e3Jb96J.jpg

tvCqIoL.jpg

thats the work i did with the fenders, sanding, roughing, primer/paint, 3-5 coats of clearcoat

i just took off the forks for the passenger footpegs, pulled the cotterpins out and cleaned it up and painted the forks now just waiting on that to try enough to clearcoat. but what i really wanna do is pull the break calipers off the front and back and get those painted. keep in mind, im not an auto mechanic but still a very good miscellaneous mechanic, i wanted to know if anyone had a guide or step by step, depressurize, drain, disconnect, remove. with most hydraulic systems you need to d/p then to put back online you need to bleed air out of the system, just wanted to make sure i didnt forget anything

The brakes aren't really pressurized until you squeeze the lever. Brake fluid is very caustic and will eat up your paint job real quick.
First suck out all the fluid in the reservoirs. You can then suck the rest of the fluid out through the bleeder or crack the banjo bolt at the caliper.

Get some speed bleeders when you reinstall everything. Once the system is full and bleed, You will probably need to bleed the banjo bolts also (apply pressure on the lever and crack open the banjo bolt until fluid comes out then quickly tighten up)

How many screws are there to take your front fender off to paint? I know of two, are the others easy to get to? Nice job, btw.

Beemer

One one screw on each side for seperate pieces but plastic slides you have to pull forward on first

The front over the tire is 3 parts the long center piece over the whole tite but the pattern was different so i just left it but the two pieces on the sides of the fender came off, no snaps they slide in, i learned the heard way on one cause i had to bondo pieces back on

Thanks man, but i hate to admit it, i got a bigger problem now, somehow the nut fell of the bracket for the rear brake reservoir and when i hit a bump the cap got mangled off by the rear tire and now i got an empty cup left over with no bracket to mount it to or a cap, anyone know some good ways to order specific part numbers? I guess ill be pulling the rear caliber and painting it too after all :|

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear that. I dont know of any good places online to order oem parts, maybe talk to your local yamaha dealers parts dept?

Archived