The MT-07 Forum

Arashi exhaust.... Well hello there

fromthecage

I suspected as such.  Guess Taylormade might not be too thrilled about that haha.  Nor am I...  I really want them to make this for my bike!  Still no reply to my email.  
They're probably fuming and are a little distracted

• Premium Member

I've given up on the Arashi exhaust . I've sent multiple emails and only have gotten 2 responses in which they've failed to answer my questions. I will be reluctant to hand my money over to someone that doesn't even communicate properly. I'd be lucky if i ever seen this thing show up in the mail. Don't waste your time.

I'll refrain from posting all of Paul Taylor's comments haha, but let's just say he was none too thrilled to see someone ripped off his exhaust. He had nothing to do with this even though they used his name.

He may or may not have inquired about knowing any hit men in Brazil haha.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Well I wish he would design or make an exhaust just like this one. I like the style of it. I'm sure though they're not even thinking about it.

Most of his exhausts have this similar style with the heat shields. He focuses on racing exhausts, and his list is rather short is is very liter-bike heavy. So, I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Premium Member

I wasn't counting on it. If he did make the exhaust I'd buy it. It couldn't take much to make a few off samples for purchase.

> It couldn't take much to make a few off samples for purchase.

Ahhh young grasshoppa, you have much to learn. You should let Akropivic et. al. in on that time-to-market analysis. ;-)

If you hand him $1000 I'm sure he'll be happy to fab you one and engrave your name on the side. Exhaust systems aren't just bits of pipe welded together even if that is what they look like.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I say this because things get produce that never go to market or the pieces may be there but maybe I'm just talking about my butt. What would it take for exhaust to be produced?

The biggest expense is time, figuring out pulse timing, how to *properly* meld the two pipes together be it differential lengths, cross-overs, or simple mouth, figuring out the bend radii, correct pipe diameter(s), resonance chamber shape and size, desired frequency aka RPM range and header length, and lots and LOTS of dyno time with each iteration of changing this or changing that. And lets not forget he needs a welding jig for every joint. So, to do a proper job there's probably at least 3 prototypes produced before final product.

If he has no experience with mid-sized twins (doesn't seem like it) it would take either more prototypes or if he can do a lot in software (likely) a bunch of hours there too.

I would wager that even at $1000 he'll have lost a fair bit of money. If he had a reasonable expectation of future orders (say qty=10-20) that would obviously help the en devour turn profitable.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I'll refrain from posting all of Paul Taylor's comments haha, but let's just say he was none too thrilled to see someone ripped off his exhaust. He had nothing to do with this even though they used his name.  
He may or may not have inquired about knowing any hit men in Brazil haha.
Ha, I told you he was probably fuming.

The biggest expense is time, figuring out pulse timing, how to *properly* meld the two pipes together be it differential lengths, cross-overs, or simple mouth, figuring out the bend radii, correct pipe diameter(s), resonance chamber shape and size, desired frequency aka RPM range and header length, and lots and LOTS of dyno time with each iteration of changing this or changing that. And lets not forget he needs a welding jig for every joint. So, to do a proper job there's probably at least 3 prototypes produced before final product. 
If he has no experience with mid-sized twins (doesn't seem like it) it would take either more prototypes or if he can do a lot in software (likely) a bunch of hours there too.

I would wager that even at $1000 he'll have lost a fair bit of money. If he had a reasonable expectation of future orders (say qty=10-20) that would obviously help the en devour turn profitable.

This is spot on.   
I told him IF he decided to make a system for the 07, I'd buy the first one.  However, I truly do not expect to hear back from him and do not blame him one bit if I never do.  The guys out in Cali working on that FZ-07R though... Those are the guys to watch.  They seem really committed to race development for this bike.  

While we're on the topic of exhaust system design (albeit slightly off original topic)... I still would like to see someone with the R&D capabilities (and desire) to develop a true dual exhaust system.  They may not always look as good (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but I bet you they will perform better.  

better performance for a dual-pipe system likely results from simpler modeling and fewer confounding factors with their attendant tradeoffs.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived