The MT-07 Forum

First Service - Suggestions

Kipawa

• Premium Member

OK so bike just at 1000km (600mi) going to take it in for first service this week. What do I want to have done and WHY?

Planned:

[ul type=disc][*][span style=background-color:transparent]Oil and filter[/span]
[*]Tighten Chain[*]General inspection[*]Mention my upshifting to third issue - occasionally doesn't want to go. Don't think it is operator error but is intermittent want to see if new oil helps and makes all shifting smoother.[/ul]

Other possibilities:

[ul type=disc][*]Throttle adjustment? Mine seems to have no issue never stalls and throttle response seems smooth.[*]??[*]?[/ul]

Get ready to spend a ton of money.
You can do the oil/filter change and chain adjustment yourself in under an hour and the oil change will probably fix your shifting issues.

Take your bike to a private bike shop for a throttle body sync. I do and the private shop owner only charges 70 for a Tbi sync while the stealership wanted $240!

I don't let dealers touch my bikes ever. They pay their mechanics so little that they can't keep any good ones, who quit and go start their own private shops, do better quality work for far less $$. Seriously.

• Global Moderator

Really depends on the quality of your dealer and your technical skills too.

I always bring my bike (or other toy) in for the first service. Even though I have no problem doing the work myself. I think it is good for the relationship with the dealer and possible future warranty issues. And I know that my dealer actually looks over the whole bike. After the first service I do the regular maintenance myself. My dealer charged me something like $130 for the whole thing, including throttle body check (no adjustment needed) and raising the idle by 100rpm, something I couldn't do.

You might have better dealers in Canada. Most are universally bad down here. All about sales profit from their showrooms and highly priced service dept's and then they don't pay mechanics worth a nickle.

Private bike shops are the way to go after your first service appointment but I don't even show up for that. My mechanic used to work for my dealer and man, the horror stories that he has about that place and any other dealer that he used to work for while learning.

I promise you, there are plenty of private bike shops staffed by ex dealer mechanics in your area. Better quality, lower prices. Their mindset is to do top quality work so that you come back.

Dealer's mindset is to knock out as many bikes as possible each day for profit, because new riders often don't know better.

• Global Moderator

I was planning on taking mine to the dealer for the first service. I will probably do most the required maintenance myself after that and take it to a local independent shop for stuff I cannot or do not want to do.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
OK so bike just at 1000km (600mi) going to take it in for first service this week. What do I want to have done and WHY? 
Planned:

[*]Tighten Chain[*]General inspection[*]Mention my upshifting to third issue - occasionally doesn't want to go. Don't think it is operator error but is intermittent want to see if new oil helps and makes all shifting smoother.[/ul]

Other possibilities:

[ul type=disc][*]Throttle adjustment? Mine seems to have no issue never stalls and throttle response seems smooth.[*]??[*]?[/ul]

My bike is at just over 500 miles so it needs the first servicing done pretty soon too. I plan on taking it to the dealer and having them do what the manual says. After that I have a trusted independent mechanic that I use too. 

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest MXRider

These services are basically scams to get more money from you. Everything is very easy to do yourself with basic hand tools.

Synching the throttle bodies is also easy and the gauge they use can be had for not much money.

• Premium Member
Get ready to spend a ton of money. You can do the oil/filter change and chain adjustment yourself in under an hour and the oil change will probably fix your shifting issues.

Take your bike to a private bike shop for a throttle body sync. I do and the private shop owner only charges 70 for a Tbi sync while the stealership wanted $240!

I don't let dealers touch my bikes ever. They pay their mechanics so little that they can't keep any good ones, who quit and go start their own private shops, do better quality work for far less $$. Seriously.
Ok thanks but do I need to do a throttle body sync? How do I know? What else should I be looking at at this point?

• Premium Member
Really depends on the quality of your dealer and your technical skills too. 
I always bring my bike (or other toy) in for the first service. Even though I have no problem doing the work myself. I think it is good for the relationship with the dealer and possible future warranty issues. And I know that my dealer actually looks over the whole bike. After the first service I do the regular maintenance myself. My dealer charged me something like $130 for the whole thing, including throttle body check (no adjustment needed) and raising the idle by 100rpm, something I couldn't do.
Yes how I feel too.  I expected to pay  $100-200 and have that budgeted in when I get e new bike. After that I do all my own oil changes etc. Thanks!

• Premium Member
These services are basically scams to get more money from you. Everything is very easy to do yourself with basic hand tools.  
Synching the throttle bodies is also easy and the gauge they use can be had for not much money.
Yes I do agree. How do I know if I need to sync it? Anything else I should be looking at checking?

• Premium Member
Planned:

Other possibilities:

My bike is at just over 500 miles so it needs the first servicing done pretty soon too. I plan on taking it to the dealer and having them do what the manual says. After that I have a trusted independent mechanic that I use too. 
Yes will double check the manual as well! Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for the responses I appreciate everyone's concerns with dealers I have that concern as well but I will go for the first oil change and to be able to log any potential warranty issues just in case.

Regardless if I go to the dealer or a local motorcycle mechanic or do myself what are the things I should be considering (like the throttle sync) and why? Sorry engineer so I always need to understand the why I am doing something! Thanks!

Guest MXRider

If you are looking for good motorcycle tools, Motion Pro makes a lot of specialty tools. I'm the type who will buy the special tool and do it myself rather than pay to have it done.

Guest MXRider

I paid $64 for my first service. Not bad

Do you have an itemized list of what has been done? That's a good deal.

rotaryryan24

My bike also fights me sometimes going into third gear, I wonder how many others have that problem.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

knuckleup88

I paid $64 for my first service. Not bad
Do you have an itemized list of what has been done? That's a good deal.

Basically they changed my oil, tightened/oiled the chain, and checked everything else.

Killafornia

Would be really nice if one of u guys can upload a video on how to do some basic maintenance for our bike. I know it's easy but I dont wanna mess up my baby.

Guest unknown
Would be really nice if one of u guys can upload a video on how to do some basic maintenance for our bike. I know it's easy but I dont wanna mess up my baby.
I'm working on some of that now 

My bike also fights me sometimes going into third gear, I wonder how many others have that problem.
I had that issue at first, but it was because the shift lever was to far down! my foot was almost vertical to get under it. I took the linkage off and rotated it one spline which moved the lever more than an inch and made a huge difference in shifting all together ( I can ride in my steel toe boots no problem now) 

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I had that issue at first, but it was because the shift lever was to far down! my foot was almost vertical to get under it. I took the linkage off and rotated it one spline which moved the lever more than an inch and made a huge difference in shifting all together ( I can ride in my steel toe boots no problem now) 
This sounds like something I need to do. I also wear steel toe boots when I ride and can have difficulty getting my toe under there to shift. Was it an easy thing to do?

Illegitimi non carborundum

This sounds like something I need to do. I also wear steel toe boots when I ride and can have difficulty getting my toe under there to shift. Was it an easy thing to do?
Very easy! There is a 10mm bolt on top of the shift linkage where it connects to the transmission, take that right out, pull the linkage off the splined shaft (taking note where it was originally) and then move the shift lever up to the desired position, Slide back on to the shaft and put the bolt back in place. I don't know if it was torqued to a specific amount I just put it on good and tight. 

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

• 2 weeks later...
Ahem.... Throttle body adjustment tutortial please!

Next oil change at 600 miles I will tslw pictures and write up tutorial on how to change the fz07 oil. Its so easy. Just did my 300 mile change today.

Archived