The MT-07 Forum

Tank bags and Tail bags

lar281

Hello, I am trying to decide between a tank or tail bag for my FZ-07.  I would like to be able to store my full faced helmet in a somewhat secured bag while off my bike.  So far, a riding buddy has told me he dislikes tail bags because he has to do a specialized karate kick to get his leg over the bag when getting on and off his bike.   I have never had either type of bag, but to me, the tank bag seems like it would disrupt ones view of the instrument cluster.  Anyway, any advise at all about which type of bag or which bag you have on your FZ-07  would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance,  Larry 

I bought a Nelson rigg cl-1060 st. Which is the bigger version of the non st. I like the way you can extend the bag by the zippers to fit a full face helmet or put in more storage. It is also easy to attach to the buddy seat.

[em]"...full faced helmet in a somewhat secured bag..."[/em][em]
[/em]Can't quite picture what that would look like. [em] [/em]
My helmet and Kreiga US-20 come with me when the bike is out of my sight.  I put my left hand through the helmet strap and grab the Kreiga handle.  That leaves my right hand free, and left arm can let the weight hang at my side.  I can walk around for at least a half hour like that without fatigue.  If I get tired, I switch hands.
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmIyVhxVMr4]
To get your leg over, all you have to do is fold it at the knee, and put it over while folded.  You'll be surprised how easy that is.
I've NEVER been sorry I spent so much for this bag, because I use it daily, even now that the bike is stored. 

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome Larry! Our gas tanks are made of plastic so you would need a strapping system to hold a tank bag in place or JB weld some magnets underneath it. I personally don't care for tank bags because they have to be removed every time you put gas in our princess sized tanks. Some of our members have said looking at the instrument cluster is difficult even without a bag in the way. I have a Cycle guys tail bag and it is nearly flat when not in use. It also looks great with the carbon fiber material. It isn't large enough for a helmet but I can tell you it will hold two magnums of wine with plenty of room for cheese and crackers. I get on my bike with left foot on the peg when the bag is expanded - no karate kick needed. Most of the time my helmet goes with me or I'll lock it to the bars.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for the replies guys. I do like the way the Nelson bag looks. One of our fellow members posted a review and a video of how the next size down of the Nelson looked on our FZ-07's, and the bag looks like it was made for this bike. Also, thanks for the advice on getting on the bike better. This is my first bike in almost 20 years, so I do appreciate all the help I can get LOL.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone familiar with this/these saddlebag/s? Thoughts on it maybe? It looks rather nice I think but I need to know more about it. (no reviews given) I've taken long 1200 ml. trips before but they only lasted 20 hours so a big gym bag bunged down is all I've ever used/needed to carry things. I'm taking several mini trips fairly close to home soon and will be out on the road for like 4-6 days each trip so something a little larger is needed. This holds up to 35 L so I'm thinking it will be adequate to hold everything. (I travel light) I've looked at everyone's systems here and they're all nice but I just need something inexpensive and not too big, knowing it will be a rarity that I do this. Thanks for any input!

http://www.amazon.com/ViaTerra-Claw-Mini-Luggage-System/dp/B010FC3LC6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=416qI%2BZIMiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=187QWZB6EYD0EH4EKXTH

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73707-MotoGear-Motorcycle/dp/B000RN4FK6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455913370&sr=1-1&keywords=motorcycle+bags

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-SE-2015-Adventure-Survivor-Motorcycle/dp/B00C9T89T4/ref=sr_1_396?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455916434&sr=1-396&keywords=motorcycle+bags

Beemer

• Premium Member
To get your leg over, all you have to do is fold it at the knee, and put it over while folded.  You'll be surprised how easy that is.
That's only if you're tall/flexible enough to do so...

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator
That's only if you're tall/flexible enough to do so...
*poke-poke* time to grow little one :P

Standing on the kickstand side peg helps
im 6'1 and still do it if i have anything tied on the back seat

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

How are these tank bags mounted with the straps since they can't be mounted with the magnets?

• Premium Member
I am grown! Nothing I can do about my genetics.  :'(  

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

I am grown! Nothing I can do about my genetics.  :'(  

*hugs* was only kidding.... sorry meek

Well.... there is always surgery :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

If you can bend your right knee enough to touch your heel to your butt, just lift it over the saddle bent like that. You'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

How are these tank bags mounted with the straps since they can't be mounted with the magnets?
Yes with the straps. Can be a PITA to install correctly, but end up working out in the end. As hippiebikerchick said, its also a pain to remove the bag when filling up. Magnets are so much more convenient.

Another tank bag option:

506.4537-5_2.jpg5064537-5_1.jpg
VfPv0dr.jpg
vylToZn.jpg

http://www.motomachines.com/Lock-it-Tank-Ring--Yamaha-FZ-07_p_5063.html
http://www.motomachines.com/Tank-Bags_c_633.html
(Hepco & Becker recommends that either the Street Tourer M or Street Daypack be used with the FZ-07)

Moto Machines
Importer and Distributor for Hepco & Becker and Ermax Products
https://www.motomachines.com/

Archived