The MT-07 Forum

Idea for a "Paddock Stand"

mjh937

• Global Moderator

I am not sure if this is a good idea or not, so opinions are appreciated. I noticed the rear axle is hollow. Could I get a length of metal rod that is slightly smaller and a couple of feet longer, feed it through the axle and support both ends on jack stands to make an impromptu "paddock stand". It seems like a cheap way to get the wheel off the ground for chain cleaning and tightening. I already have jack stands, so would only need to by some metal rod. 

Is is this a good idea or am I overlooking something?   

• Global Moderator

I think that's a good idea. I am going to check and see if that's possible and if it's stable enough. Would be great to have a IPS* for chain lubing. For tighntening the rod would be in the way I think.

* IPS = impromptu paddock stand

I remember seeing a store in BC that had spools for the 07's that replaced the factory axle and the spools sat inside the axle retainer cups. I think it was posted on here actually...

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

• Global Moderator

I just took a look and it seems that the hole on the left is smaller then the right side. The small hole is barely 5 mm (less the 1/4 inch). So if you slide in a rod it can't be bigger the the smallest hole. I wouldn't trust it to support the weight of the bike. I don't think it wil break but the weight might bend the rod and you won't be able to take the rod out.

• Global Moderator

Good point, Guru. It is too bad it is not a bit larger diameter hole. I do not want to have a bent rod stuck in my axle.

• Global Moderator

I saw those. I just figured with my idea I could use the jack stands that I already have and not have to buy a paddock stand and spools. I would only be out a few bucks for a metal rod. In this case it looks like trying to be cheap is not going to work. With the bike, gear, insurance, etc. I have spent almost 9 grand. The wife says to stop for a while, so I was thinking outside the box :).

With the bike, gear, insurance, etc. I have spent almost 9 grand. The wife says to stop for a while, so I was thinking outside the box :).
Wow ... sounds like you married my wife?  :P  I'm in the same boat ... getting "boots" this weekend.  Want a paddock stand and a tail bag and maybe disc lock with alarm.

• Global Moderator

I was thinking about a tai bag, but bungee cording a bag I already have to the loops under the back seat is working great for me. I used that for my gym bag this morning with no trouble.

Archived