The MT-07 Forum

Paint the radiator

username

• Premium Member

How difficult would it be to aerosol spray the radiator black? Seems like a simple procedure getting the radiator off but I'm not sure how painting this sucker would turn out. The little fins might not get fully coated would be my concern. Would this effect the performance of the radiator also? It would be black which attracts heat more and you have a layer of paint on it which might effect it also. Any thoughts?

• Global Moderator

I got a black radiator guard. Now it looks black from a distance and protects the radiator.

• Premium Member
I got a black radiator guard. Now it looks black from a distance and protects the radiator.

I have considered that too

twowheeladdict

Maybe anodizing it would be better than paint.

The radiator doesn't bother me on this bike, but they should have made it black on the retro 700 bike.

2015 FZ-07

I thought of this too but decided that the trouble wasn't worth it. I got a black radiator guard off eBay and now it looks like it should. If you want to try it, Eastwood sells a radiator paint that shouldn't affect the radiator heat transfer properties too much.

Yea, painting the radiator black might create an issue with heat dissipation.
Also, road grime will peel the paint over time, its done its job on my radiator cover, but the radiator cover is easy to remove and retouch from time to time, as the radiator wouldn't be as easy.

• Global Moderator

Im stil looking into swapping it out with one from the FZ09

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Oooo my friend has his 09 parked beside my 07 in my garage.... Do you think he will notice if I do a litter swaparoo?

• Global Moderator
Oooo my friend has his 09 parked beside my 07 in my garage.... Do you think he will notice if I do a litter swaparoo?
Not sure if it will fit or bot... but i think the coolant mess will give it away

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Don't paint it is my vote, it will affect its cooling ability.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 3 months later...

I intend on painting the side tanks of the radiator to protect it from corrosion. I wouldn't bother with the fins myself.

Archived