The MT-07 Forum

Aftermarket exhaust catalytic converter Poll

motocr

I am sort of interested in this statistic and have not really found anything on it posted online and it came up in conversation. So most motorcycle owners to my knowledge change their exhaust as the first aftermarket change they do to their bike. If they do not change it and buy a used bike it normally has an aftermarket exhaust. I am curious however how many people install an inline catalytic converter with their aftermarket exhaust. I do not intend to start any arguments on the topic but I wanted some numbers on how many people attempt to rectify the carbon emissions of their bike while changing the sound. Bikes produce less of certain emission types and more of others and if I remember correctly they produce more nitrogen based emissions which can be more harmful than the amount emitted by cars. 

I do understand several states do have emission tests but there are ways around this such as switching your exhaust out to pass emissions and then reswitching it to ride.

JuggernautOfWar

I just installed my Yoshimura Works R77 exhaust today and I did not install a catalytic converter with it, I don't even think it's possible to do so if I wanted to.

AS FAR AS I KNOW, Southern California has the strictest emissions laws in the United States, and even in CA motorcycles DO NOT have to submit to smog checks like cars and trucks do. My point is, legally speaking there is no reason to ever install an aftermarket catalytic converter. These bikes are not going to produce a whole lot of emissions, certainly not enough to make any kind of noticeable impact on the environment. The only reason I can think of to install an aftermarket cat is if you are very, very, extremely concerned with protecting the air quality in every way you can. Then again, farting probably creates about as much emissions haha. (rofl)

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

I just installed my Yoshimura Works R77 exhaust today and I did not install a catalytic converter with it, I don't even think it's possible to do so if I wanted to. 
AS FAR AS I KNOW, Southern California has the strictest emissions laws in the United States, and even in CA motorcycles DO NOT have to submit to smog checks like cars and trucks do. My point is, legally speaking there is no reason to ever install an aftermarket catalytic converter. These bikes are not going to produce a whole lot of emissions, certainly not enough to make any kind of noticeable impact on the environment. The only reason I can think of to install an aftermarket cat is if you are very, very, extremely concerned with protecting the air quality in every way you can. Then again, farting probably creates about as much emissions haha. (rofl)

They actually tested emissions on a myth busters episode and the emissions were actually about the same as a car. The difference was the type of emissions. Legally you are not supposed to modify your exhaust per EPA. Without state laws of inspection this isn't really able to be upheld. But it may be Insignificant for just your bike but consider every bike in your state not having one and then go further than that and think of the number in just America, that is actually a huge among of emissions and that's why I'm curious as I know only a handful of people that never change their exhaust. It's the same idea as an excess of a good thing is always a bad thing. When you consider the total impact it could be a dramatic amount of harm but without statistics it's hard to judge.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1067907_motorcycles-are-more-polluting-than-cars-new-device-shows small article validating the tests.

https://rideapart.com/articles/busting-the-mythbusters-motorcycle-pollution-claims This is one of the many claims disputed the mythbusters test however notice they are talking mainly in terms of bikes with stock exhausts with the converters on not without so the data could not even matter if say 80 percent of bikes change their exhaust and no longer have the converter.

Akropovic does sell an inline cat. Though but I doubt anyone uses it.

bmwpowere36m3

In the US, bet it's very few... not many states have emissions testing for motorcycles. In Europe it's pretty strict, so manufacturers make exhausts with complaint cats.

In the US, bet it's very few... not many states have emissions testing for motorcycles. In Europe it's pretty strict, so manufacturers make exhausts with complaint cats.
In the US some states are so lenant that for cars you only have to have working lights and a seat belt, 

bmwpowere36m3
In the US some states are so lenant that for cars you only have to have working lights and a seat belt, 

I doubt that.... which state doesn't require passenger vehicle emissions testing? And I don't mean older/classic cars that are exempt by some.

In CT no vehicle inspections, but emissions on most passenger and some commercial stuff. Classic cars are exempt (at least 20 or 25 yrs old). No emissions on motorcycles.

JuggernautOfWar

I live in Oregon and we have no emissions or safety testing for any vehicles of any type here. Only exception is Portland Metro area where they have to submit to a pretty lenient smog test every two years, but everywhere else has zero emissions testing requirements. A lot of western states have zero emissions testing.

Around my area in the central Willamette Valley you cannot even find any places that offer a smog test service. I've never seen one.

2015 Red FZ-07
Yoshimura Works R77 Carbon Fiber Full Exhaust
Puig Dark Smoke Touring Windshield

Both Akra and GPR sell their full systems with a cyl inline cat the goes just before the muffler. NOW BEFORE YOU TURN OFF! Both are 100cell per sq" they affect the flow almost not at all. Most aftermarket and OEM cats are 200 or more likely 400c/sq" and do restrict the flow a lot more.
Akro is on record as saying that the cats fitted to cars and bikes are overly complicated and expensive looking so you can be persuaded that they are worth a fortune. His testing indicated his cats did as good a job FOR LONGER and weighed less and were less restrictive.
The GPR one is about 3 1/2" long and ceramic and weighs not a lot.
I have tried both in and out on Sally's KTM 690 Duke and it sounds less raspy (smoother) with it in and lost almost nothing ( less than a HP). I suspect the sound difference is because the cat acts a resonant trap for the higher frequencies. We leave it in.

The bigger holes are 100c/sq", the smaller are more than 400.
Cat%20converter%20slug%20comparo.jpg

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

topazsparrow

They actually tested emissions on a myth busters episode and the emissions were actually about the same as a car. The difference was the type of emissions. Legally you are not supposed to modify your exhaust per EPA. Without state laws of inspection this isn't really able to be upheld. But it may be Insignificant for just your bike but consider every bike in your state not having one and then go further than that and think of the number in just America, that is actually a huge among of emissions and that's why I'm curious as I know only a handful of people that never change their exhaust. It's the same idea as an excess of a good thing is always a bad thing. When you consider the total impact it could be a dramatic amount of harm but without statistics it's hard to judge.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1067907_motorcycles-are-more-polluting-than-cars-new-device-shows small article validating the tests.

https://rideapart.com/articles/busting-the-mythbusters-motorcycle-pollution-claims This is one of the many claims disputed the mythbusters test however notice they are talking mainly in terms of bikes with stock exhausts with the converters on not without so the data could not even matter if say 80 percent of bikes change their exhaust and no longer have the converter.

Akropovic does sell an inline cat. Though but I doubt anyone uses it.
What really put it into perspective for me was the math. If you take everyone in the world and give them their own space of habitable land (not cliffs, ocean, ice, etc etc) we all get something like 17sq ft. That's basically a 4x4 foot box. Now how do you feel about idling your car or running a diesel vehicle in this box? 
We know there are concessions to be made, but that's the math on it if everyone drove a vehicle.

• Premium Member

The thing is, apart from Akra and a few others, a lot of exhaust choices don't have the option to use a catalytic converter unless you were to DIY. No choices at all for slip-ons which are equally as common.

Everything went braap.

bmwpowere36m3

Basically it comes down to laws and since it isn't required or enforced in many cases.... people are selfish and don't think about the whole picture. Why spend $100 or more on a cat when it reduces my hp, noise and isn't "required".

The similar agruement for getting more efficient vehicles or applicances. Can't force people, but can offer incentives.

Both Akra and GPR sell their full systems with a cyl inline cat the goes just before the muffler. NOW BEFORE YOU TURN OFF! Both are 100cell per sq" they affect the flow almost not at all. Most aftermarket and OEM cats are 200 or more likely 400c/sq" and do restrict the flow a lot more. Akro is on record as saying that the cats fitted to cars and bikes are overly complicated and expensive looking so you can be persuaded that they are worth a fortune. His testing indicated his cats did as good a job FOR LONGER and weighed less and were less restrictive.
The GPR one is about 3 1/2" long and ceramic and weighs not a lot.
I have tried both in and out on Sally's KTM 690 Duke and it sounds less raspy (smoother) with it in and lost almost nothing ( less than a HP). I suspect the sound difference is because the cat acts a resonant trap for the higher frequencies. We leave it in.

The bigger holes are 100c/sq", the smaller are more than 400.
Cat%20converter%20slug%20comparo.jpg

I actually didn't know they came with them. I know they sell the module themselves but that makes me a bit more optimistic haha.

Archived