The MT-07 Forum

New exhaust, new questions.

bernard1414

bernard1414

I just installed the M4 slip-on the other day, and boy is it nice. I do however have a few questions, and hopefully I can find some answers here.

1st: Decel popping. Is it good, bad, not a biggie? I personally don't mind it, but if its doing some damage, then a reflash from 2wdw, or a EJK should be installed right?

2nd: In between shifting gears, on moderate to hard acceleration, the time when I clutch in, the exhaust sounds like it's burbbling. Nothing crazy, but kind of like a v8 when romping on it. Its not a concerning sound. I'm just curious to what it is. I checked for any leaks right after install with a rag and my hand blocking the exit, and no sound came from anywhere else.

3rd: Warranty issues. Will running an aftermarket exhaust give me any issues with a warranty claim (if I needed warranty work done)? I did opt for the 4 year extended warranty, but if an M4 exhaust just voided it, then oh man am I stupid.

Thanks for the help boys. Ride safe.

• Premium Member

I would go with 2wdw... The " burble" is actually just air being pumped thru the motor when you let off the throttle( Yamaha turns the injectors off when throttle is let go, that's why the fz07 has that semi truck engine braking effect)...as far as warranty I cannot help there...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

bernard1414
I would go with 2wdw... The " burble" is actually just air being pumped thru the motor when you let off the throttle( Yamaha turns the injectors off when throttle is let go, that's why the fz07 has that semi truck engine braking effect)...as far as warranty I cannot help there...
Got it. Makes sense why I don't need to use my brakes to stop hahaha. As far as the 2wdw flash goes, did you recommend it because it encompasses more than just a AFR adjustment? 

• Premium Member

Yes the ECU reflash adjust the timing, fan on/off temps, turns the injectors on when you let off the gas...the engine braking is like a small car coasting...and its recommendations from 2wdw is to run premium gas (91-93octane)... The ejk only adjust the fuel tabs...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

As far as I know yes... they are the forum expert in my opinion on the ECU reflash for the fz-07...

Is 2wdw the only vendor providing ecu flashes for our bikes?
no. but 2wdw are a supporting vendor here. there is another guy on Facebook goes by vcyclenut. i went with 2wdw because of all the recommendations. they have great customer service and are always looking to better the bikes.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
I just installed the M4 slip-on the other day, and boy is it nice. I do however have a few questions, and hopefully I can find some answers here. 
3rd: Warranty issues. Will running an aftermarket exhaust give me any issues with a warranty claim (if I needed warranty work done)? I did opt for the 4 year extended warranty, but if an M4 exhaust just voided it, then oh man am I stupid.

Thanks for the help boys. Ride safe.
Read this magazine article about the federal law that protects consumers and should answer your 3rd question:www.sportrider.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act 

Guest ChicagoAJ

You have to pay to play. If you want to avoid warranty issues, keep it stock. Claims will very dealer to dealer but will ultimately come down to Yamaha's decision. Dealers/Manufacturers will always look for any chance to blame modifications so they won't have to fix what broke.

I have the same bike and just received my M4 slip on exhaust. Can't wait to install! I am new to the motorcycle scene, will I have to install something else for maximum performance? Thanks for your help.

Alex

Guest ChicagoAJ
I have the same bike and just received my M4 slip on exhaust. Can't wait to install! I am new to the motorcycle scene, will I have to install something else for maximum performance? Thanks for your help.
Any change to the engine's ability to take in or release more/less air should be accompanied by a fuel management system (a tune/flash). 

• Premium Member

I have a Yoshi installed on my WHITE FZ bought May 2015, Yoshi was install by me @ 50 miles. I am planing and recommending a flash from 2wdw because of all the positive comments they have received here. I am also getting decel popping and the burbbling at times, it's now almost a year and 1400 miles later and she's still running beautifully. I don't think you have to get a flash right away you can work on other upgrades or save up for the flash. The bike totally changes with the exhaust, sound wise and I love it but I am not sure if you will be getting any major or maximum performance form any of the upgrades.

bernard1414
I have a Yoshi installed on my WHITE FZ bought May 2015, Yoshi was install by me @ 50 miles. I am planing and recommending a flash from 2wdw because of all the positive comments they have received here. I am also getting decel popping and the burbbling at times, it's now almost a year and 1400 miles later and she's still running beautifully. I don't think you have to get a flash right away you can work on other upgrades or save up for the flash. The bike totally changes with the exhaust, sound wise and I love it but I am not sure if you will be getting any major or maximum performance form any of the upgrades.

Ah the beautiful white! Thats awesome news man. Glad to hear its running like a champ! Thanks for the input :)

Guest ChicagoAJ
1400 miles in a year? As soon as it warms up I'll be doing in a week! Always good to tune a motor for any extra mods you add, otherwise catastrophic failure can occur. I'm not saying it will, but it's a bigger chance than running without the mods. The ECU has no idea what you add to the bike. 

Guest ChicagoAJ
Thanks ChicagoAJ. Will I need to take my FZ to the dealer to have this done?
Any tuner could tune your bike for the mods you have provided you go somewhere with a dyno. A vendor here, @2WheelDynoWorks, has an ECU flash you could get, or you could simply buy any fuel controller/fuel management system and following the instructions and set it up with the mods you have.  
You can go to a dealer, but I'm sure the other options are cheaper. A few places around me charge $150 for a full session on the dyno/tune. 

2wheeldynoworks
Thanks ChicagoAJ. Will I need to take my FZ to the dealer to have this done?
Any tuner could tune your bike for the mods you have provided you go somewhere with a dyno. A vendor here, @2wheeldynoworks , has an ECU flash you could get, or you could simply buy any fuel controller/fuel management system and following the instructions and set it up with the mods you have.  
You can go to a dealer, but I'm sure the other options are cheaper. A few places around me charge $150 for a full session on the dyno/tune. 
Biggest difference is the ECU flash also tunes for more than just fueling :)

• Premium Member

I have never heard of a catastrophic failure by adding an exhaust to a bike. I only have 1400 cause i use my bike for gettin to work and back in the spring, summer and fall. It's only 9 miles each way, i live in NYC and i spend most of my free time with family since its a priorty to me. I wish i can get out more and ride but at this time i can not and the little bit i get keeps me happy. As long as you keep up to date with maint. this bike will last a very long time. As i stated before i am planning on doing an ECU flash but it doesn't need to be done right away.

Archived