The MT-07 Forum

Drag bars and new grips

bernard1414

bernard1414

Just ordered some drag bars and new grips from revzila. Wondering how hard is the install? Any videos out there or write ups? Also, would going to a bike shop and having them do the install be a waste of money on my behalf? Any suggestions? Much appreciated!!  

• Premium Member

It's super easy! Please dont pay a ridiculous shop rate. That money can be better spent on other parts!
It can be a bit tricky to remove the left grip but one method is to slowly work a long thin screw driver in there and a spritz of WD 40 and work it around to separate it from the bar. The controls and stuff just slide off with a bolt etc. Easy peasy!

I highly recommend measuring and drilling holes in the new bar to accommodate the little plastic nibs on the controls, (these keep everything from spinning around). It really isnt that much extra effort, just be sure to leave enough room between the new grips and controls, especially the throttle. Others here have just ground the nibs off but I suggest taking the time to do it right and be safe. I used a small drill bit to get a pilot hole then stepped up to a larger final sized bit. Again easy stuff!

Tackle this stuff yourself...it feels good.  All answers are on the forum and if you cant find it just ask.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

one more thing..... when removing the stock barends, dont try to wrench the smaller inner allen socket...it'll strip. I made this mistake, then I noticed the larger allen socket on the main body of the barend. Duh.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

If you have access to a air compressor and an attachment to aim it also becomes much easier. Just enter the nozzle, give it some air then just ease it out.

bernard1414
If you have access to a air compressor and an attachment to aim it also becomes much easier. Just enter the nozzle, give it some air then just ease it out.
yea, that method seems to work the best from what i've seen. However, I do not have access to an air compressor. So I guess ill be doing it the harder way.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
yea, that method seems to work the best from what i've seen. However, I do not have access to an air compressor. So I guess ill be doing it the harder way.
You can also just buy a can of compressed air. That'll do the job for both grips.  

• Global Moderator
You can also just buy a can of compressed air. That'll do the job for both grips.
But then you're left with the bitterant chemical all over your grips and bars
that crap does not come off
found out the hard way when using it on my keyboard then roughly 2 weeks later going to eat cheezits ruined the whole box and made me sick

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
But then you're left with the bitterant chemical all over your grips and bars that crap does not come off
found out the hard way when using it on my keyboard then roughly 2 weeks later going to eat cheezits ruined the whole box and made me sick
Food for thought. Haven't had an issue with it as far as I can tell. 'Course I'm not eating off my grips or bars.  

May not be of use to USA residents as I had heard the it isn't available in the UIS but Methylated spirits ( methyl and ethyl alcohol) will get grips off easy and not leave a residue.
Get a thin long screwdriver and push it between the bar and the grip turning it as you push it in CAREFULLY. When you get it to the other end pour or useing a thing plastic tube, blow some metho inbetween where the screwdriver opens the gap. Roll the screwdriver around the bars by turning it so all the bars surface gets some metho. Squish the grips a little and the grips will slide off. You don't need much alcohol.
To put new ones on: Clean any glue off the bar. Pour a little metho into the grips. Slosh it around so the inside of the grip gets just wet pour out the rest and quickly slide it back on. I have heard hairspray helps keep them in place if you spray it on the bars but cannot confirn this as I haven't done. I use lock on grips on the left and the right seems to stay put once slip on on most of the bikes I have had.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived