The MT-07 Forum

Simple exhaust options?

foxk56

As the title states. Picking up my new 07 this weekend and I'm pretty confident I'll want to make an exhaust change of some sort from what people are saying about the stock exhaust. But I'm not sure I want to drop a few hundred on a stock exhaust then have to do ECU tuning and whatnot (at least not right away). Besides some slight modification of the stock exhaust are there any simple aftermarket options? Slip-on? Full system that wouldn't require tuning? I've read around a bit but I'm still a bit confused and unsure of my options. Thanks for any help you can provide!

AlbatrossCafe

The m4 exhaust is by far the most popular slip-on. I haven't heard of others. This is cheapest (around ~$400) and will give you good sound with no tuning.

As far as full-systems go, this engine is small enough that full-systems will not require any tuning. Of course, tuning will make it better, but I ran my full-system Akrapovic Carbon for a month before I got my ECU reflashed and had no problems. Also full-system install on this bike is a breeze. I did it myself in a couple hours with no prior experience. I would say pick whatever system you want based on sound/looks/performance. Don't worry about the tuning!

If you are gonna order, I would recommend ordering from a vendor on the forum Dobeck, they give some of the best prices and have great customer service.

Here is their exhaust-only pricing thread: http://fz07.org/thread/3770/exhaust-pricing

Thanks @albatrosscafe . Looking around a little more I think the M4 slip-on looks like a great option in the future. Nice to know I don't NEED to do any tuning. I'm not the kind of rider that notices tiny differences or goes WOT everywhere so it probably is even less required I'd imagine, does that sound right to you?

Looking at the link you provided, what is the Q4 noise insert? I've listened to some youtube videos on the M4 and I kind of like the sound of the "DB killer" in rather than out, is that what that Q4 noise insert is?

AlbatrossCafe
Thanks @albatrosscafe . Looking around a little more I think the M4 slip-on looks like a great option in the future. Nice to know I don't NEED to do any tuning. I'm not the kind of rider that notices tiny differences or goes WOT everywhere so it probably is even less required I'd imagine, does that sound right to you? 
Looking at the link you provided, what is the Q4 noise insert? I've listened to some youtube videos on the M4 and I kind of like the sound of the "DB killer" in rather than out, is that what that Q4 noise insert is?
Sounds about right. Even myself (I've ridden about 50k miles on bikes total) I didn't notice that the bike was any "faster" after tuning + exhaust, just smoother, I guess. 
Not sure about the "Q4" noise insert in regards to the M4. ~98% of exhausts come with a baffle installed already. I don't know if the Q4 is just a "quieter" version of the baffle or if it is the baffle itself. That would be a question for Dobeck or some other member with an M4 on here.

It should be noted that for the FZ07, there isn't a "simple" slip-on. The M4 requires a lot more work to install than a full system. So the appeal of the m4 is the price and the loud sound.

For the M4, you need to remove all of the stock exhaust including the headers (its all one piece)- use new header gaskets if you have several thousand miles on the bike already, cut off the collector and can with a tool that cuts metal, AND then slip on the M4 using high temp silicone and reinstall everything back together.

Full system exhausts are less work than that.

Just a head's up if you are thinking the M4 slip on is simple "remove the old can, and slip on the new can" thing.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator

As the title states. Picking up my new 07 this weekend and I'm pretty confident I'll want to make an exhaust change of some sort from what people are saying about the stock exhaust. But I'm not sure I want to drop a few hundred on a stock exhaust then have to do ECU tuning and whatnot (at least not right away). Besides some slight modification of the stock exhaust are there any simple aftermarket options? Slip-on? Full system that wouldn't require tuning? I've read around a bit but I'm still a bit confused and unsure of my options. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Full systems are the easiest way to go.
Akropovic and yoshimura systems dont require a tune but it certainly is an upgrade you can make aat a later time and out supporting vendors @2wheeldynoworks or @tuninghq both offer their services for great prices

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Also, the Akrapovic Carbon and Ti systems are designed with the correct length of piping in order to not need a fuel controller. Most other exhaust will still work without a fuel controller however the Akra is designed specifically to not need an FC and therefore will not drastically alter your AFR.

As stated, the slip ons will require you to physically cut the old exhaust and then clamp on the new slip on. The full systems replace the entire system with the new one, no cutting required.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

It should be noted that for the FZ07, there isn't a "simple" slip-on. The M4 requires a lot more work to install than a full system. So the appeal of the m4 is the price and the loud sound. 
For the M4, you need to remove all of the stock exhaust including the headers (its all one piece)- use new header gaskets if you have several thousand miles on the bike already, cut off the collector and can with a tool that cuts metal, AND then slip on the M4 using high temp silicone and reinstall everything back together.

Full system exhausts are less work than that.

Just a head's up if you are thinking the M4 slip on is simple "remove the old can, and slip on the new can" thing.
I'm not afraid of the work to install an M4. I guess I should clarify and say the 'simple' in the title specifically meant I didn't want to mess with the fuel if there was an option not to. Although the yoshimura full system is only about 50%-75% more expensive, easier installation and another user states that it doesn't require fuel tuning. Thanks for your reply!

• Global Moderator

I would probably ride the bike with the stock exhaust for a while before deciding what to do.
It is no doubt a popular mod, but there is nothing wrong with the stock one. And some people on the forum decided to go back to stock after riding with a louder exhaust. Don't forget that if you install a slip on like the M4, there is no turning back. You will have to cut up your stock exhaust. Also, if you sell the bike in the future it is better to bring it back to stock and sell your parts separately.

bmwpowere36m3

ANY full exhaust system will benefit from tuning (piggby-back or flash)... do ANY require it, NO. Will the bike run as well as it did before the exhaust swap, NO. It'll be louder, run leaner, pop on decal, etc... tuning will restore drivability, increase HP and improve other areas (decel fuel-cut out with flash option, i.e., reduce the high-levels of engine braking).

M4 exhaust is cheaper, but'll require you to cut up the stock exhaust. Is it more work than a full-system? Meh, I don't know... depends on what tools you have and skill. Its really only a single cut that should take you a couple minutes with a cut-off/saw (probably could even do it on the bike carefully).

Honestly, I'd spend my money on a flash first... improve the engine braking (reduce it), part-throttle response (lean factory tuning, in part causes those stalls off-throttle) and HP (probably more than the exhaust itself).

So what are you after.. sounds like just making the bike louder.

I would probably ride the bike with the stock exhaust for a while before deciding what to do. It is no doubt a popular mod, but there is nothing wrong with the stock one. And some people on the forum decided to go back to stock after riding with a louder exhaust. Don't forget that if you install a slip on like the M4, there is no turning back. You will have to cut up your stock exhaust. Also, if you sell the bike in the future it is better to bring it back to stock and sell your parts separately.
I'm most likely going to start with drilling a few holes in the stock exhaust. Free, and I'm only looking for a little more sound from the exhaust. Not being able to return to stock doesn't concern me greatly, but it's something to consider. Ultimately, I started this thread so I had a consolidated place to know what other options I had, and that feels accomplished so far 

@bmwpowere36m3 So what are you after.. sounds like just making the bike louder.
That's pretty much spot on. Deeper tone, more volume but not obnoxiously so

bmwpowere36m3

Drill away...

I did that when I was kid in HS with my first car. Didn't know better and didn't have too much money (granted soon after I replace it with a proper muffler).

It seems these pipe companies neglect to tell everyone about something that stands out after their pipe install, the popping. Even though there are a number of companies that claim their exhausts don't require any tuning they must be OK with all the decel/ popping between shifts that comes with their pipe or the sound magnification (of popping) their pipe produces. It's not that the stock pipe doesn't pop at all, I remember mine popping and burbling but at a much quieter sound level and maybe not as often so it wasn't real noticeable but with a new pipe and the popping sound magnified to where it is much more noticeable and aggravating to hear a fuel controller of sorts may be in order to fine tune and at least reduce the popping if not get rid of it all together. I have an Dobeck EJK controller and I still get 'a little popping' every now and then but I think that's to be expected with most bikes anyway. A pop once in awhile isn't so bad, to me. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Beemer

603nytroxtx

Although the bike will run just fine without a tune I would argue that the Yoshimura full system "Needs" a tune of some sort. I did notice a drop in the bikes torque or "peppyness" as I would call it when I just installed my Yoshimura. I am not quoting for any other exhausts because this is just my scenario that I believe to be true. I just sent my ECU out to 2Wheel DynoWorks in the group buy that is still active until 5/4/16. $50 off normal price of $319. Free updates to the ECU as well whenever you add parts (exhaust, intake, ejk, etc.) Good luck!

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

Although the bike will run just fine without a tune I would argue that the Yoshimura full system "Needs" a tune of some sort. I did notice a drop in the bikes torque or "peppyness" as I would call it when I just installed my Yoshimura. I am not quoting for any other exhausts because this is just my scenario that I believe to be true. I just sent my ECU out to 2Wheel DynoWorks in the group buy that is still active until 5/4/16. $50 off normal price of $319. Free updates to the ECU as well whenever you add parts (exhaust, intake, ejk, etc.) Good luck!
In regards to adjustment for bike changes such as intake/exhaust, what is the difference between buying an add-on like the EJK vs. flashing the ECU? EDIT: nevermind

603nytroxtx
In regards to adjustment for bike changes such as intake/exhaust, what is the difference between buying an add-on like the EJK vs. flashing the ECU?
This is a big topic that is commonly discussed within the forum. The choice is most people make is between Nels at 2Wheel Dynoworks and the Dobeck Performance EJK. You can do one or both but most people choose to do just one. You can see the benefits of the ECU flash here. The information around the Dobeck EJK is on their page here. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong but the way i understand these products is that doing the ECU re-flash is essentially like installing a new brain for your engine. The EJK basically is like adding a brain that hijacks the ECU to control the fueling etc. There are positives to both sides and I'm sure people will chime in because this is quite the can of worms for discussion. 
@foxk56 I would urge you to check out both vendors on the vendor forum as they are both sponsors of the site. Doing your own research to figure out which features fit your need best is always the way to go.

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

• Global Moderator

People also tend to forget that after market exhaust needs repacking. The stock exhaust is maintenance free.

• 2 weeks later...
@tuninghq , can you tell me what the Q4 insert for the M4 exhaust is/does?
The Q4 insert is a different/additional baffle insert that knocks the noise down. 
We can get the Q4 baffle insert for anyone wanting to add this to their M4 exhaust.
Cost $56 plus shipping 
If you purchase the insert with the exhaust or in our Stage 1 package (Exhaust and EJK), then you will receive a price break and shipping will be included within the continental USA.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

ANY full exhaust system will benefit from tuning (piggby-back or flash)... do ANY require it, NO. Will the bike run as well as it did before the exhaust swap, NO. It'll be louder, run leaner, pop on decal, etc... tuning will restore drivability, increase HP and improve other areas (decel fuel-cut out with flash option, i.e., reduce the high-levels of engine braking). 

Thought I would re-share this part as it is a good straight answer for FZ-07 owners!
However, some exhausts with an air cleaner added(stage 1) DO need the fueling addressed; just not the case with the FZ-07. One of our other project bikes, the Indian Scout, would burn down the motor if you add an aftermarket intake and slip-ons without addressing the fueling.

As far as tuning goes, the majority of your performance/driveability gains come from correcting the fueling. Both the EJK and reflash will give you that. The EJK does improve the engine breaking as well.

The main benefits of the EJK are the on-the-fly adjustability (you don't have to send it in and have your bike down for any length of time) so you can create your tune up specific for your riding style.
Some people want fuel economy, some want full performance, some want a little bit of both. The EJK gives you the power to dial in your tune up for YOU with a quick push of a button.

I literally change the tune up on my dirt bike anytime I change riding areas. I set it up differently for riding the dunes, single track trails, hill climbing. I'll even lean out the fueling if I'm running low on fuel to make it back to homebase. A street bike probably doesn't see extreme differences in riding areas like a dirt bike, but you get the idea.

I would think leaning it out to save gas on long trips or when your running low on fuel would be what I would adjust the EJK the most for. Maybe some fine tuning for full throttle if and when racing other bikes.

I would think the timing advance, & lower fan turn-on from a reflash would be desirable for people racing the bike or looking to get that extra performance from the timing. 

The EJK can be used in conjunction with the reflash. The reflash can give you the additional benefits on top of fueling and the EJK can give you the ability to quickly dial in the fuel tune up.
Fueling is likely the only thing that is changing when you send the ECU back so why not do that quickly with the EJK and eliminate the down time on your bike.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

When I researched my ECU reflash ( Australia), I was told that the reflash I was getting did the following besides simple refuelling table and O2 sensor voltage range reset:
Removed the fuel Shut off on decel closed throttle.
Removed the speed limiter.
Removed the 5th and 6th gear limiters.
Changed the spark curves.

It also has the advantage of being completely invisible to an outside observer.

Adding an accessable fuel controllers offer the advantage of being able to mod the reflash fuelling if you need to.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived