The MT-07 Forum

I stand corrected - Yoshimura R77

bigdaddybane

bigdaddybane

I have mentioned in one of my previous posts that with all aftermarket exhausts I had in the past, I found no need to go with a fuel/ignition re-mapping. I honestly thought this will be the case with Yoshi R77. I took a delivery on Thursday and installed it on Friday. As far as the sound goes this exhaust comes with fair amount of beastliness ... some will find it obnoxious but I really like it. Anyway, after 200km (130 miles) I've noticed the following:

[ol type=decimal][*]Not as bad as bull riding but throttle is definitely choppier and it could be somewhat annoying [*]I think the engine is running rich. While stationary and idling, the gasoline smell is thicker than lawyers in hell [*]Noticed a fair amount of vibration in 2nd and 3rd gear especially between 5K and 6K rpm ... nowhere near a space shuttle takeoff but again it could be annoying   [*]As expected, the popping sound is there but I doubt you'll send pedestrians and bystanders for duck and cover. [*]I haven't figured out yet if Yoshi makes the engine run a bit hotter but it could be a possibility ... I need more time for this.[/ol][div]
So I stand corrected ... I'm going to buy and install either EJK or Power Commander. Still indecisive which one to pick but soon I will give you an update how "tuning" process goes.

[/div]

Do yourself a favor and go with 2WDW! It will fix the complaint number one far better than the others because more than just A/F ratio is corrected. The decel fuel cut is a big part of it and that is accentuated when you start to mod and 2WDW will correct that, the others cannot (to my knowledge).

3 and 5 are counter to each other. Rich engines run cooler. Lean engines run hotter. Though, it is possible that it could be rich at idle and lean at cruise.

I just installed the same system on thursday, you are spot on with your observations. The fuel smell was so strong I thought I had a leak for sure, but the 'rag over the can test' and holding my hand as close as I could to the headers and seams revealed nothing.

One thing I've noticed is the better my shifting on accel the less popping I get, on decel it doesn't bother me.

I have an ejk but I'm not sure about installing it myself even though there's some great tutorials on youtube. My bike's just over 1k miles and was going to have the dealership do the install at the 4k service.

bigdaddybane
Do yourself a favor and go with 2WDW! It will fix the complaint number one far better than the others because more than just A/F ratio is corrected. The decel fuel cut is a big part of it and that is accentuated when you start to mod and 2WDW will correct that, the others cannot (to my knowledge). 
3 and 5 are counter to each other. Rich engines run cooler. Lean engines run hotter. Though, it is possible that it could be rich at idle and lean at cruise.
If I'm not wrong 2WDW is all about ECU flash ... I'm trying to stay away from it for at least a year until my warranty is done.

07echelon
If I'm not wrong 2WDW is all about ECU flash ... I'm trying to stay away from it for at least a year until my warranty is done.
You can always have 2WDW set the ECU back to stock for you, if you need to use the warranty. Unlimited flashes with him.

bigdaddybane

I agree but considering I'm in Canada the whole shipping/customs thing can take days if not a week. Imagine going back and forth with 2DWD resetting ECU multiple times ...

2WDW all they way. I rode the bike for about 750 miles with the Yoshi before getting the flash and what a difference. No popping and power is back

I have run both the EJK and the 2WDW flash separately. 2WDW flash is so far superior it's insane. This is not to disparage the EJK or dobeck performance in any way, the EJK was a God send when I installed it. It has a great impact on the fueling of the bike. The flash is just flat out better. I'm glad I have both now, in case I want to do some fine tuning with the EJK, but if I could go back I would have just got the flash and put the money for the EJK into something else.

• Global Moderator

Seconding the seconding of the flash by @2wheeldynoworks
I have the yoshi ss and ecu flash
It was a night and day difference between stock ecu and the flash
i had a small hiccup with my flash initially but it seemed to sort itself out after a month or so
Still plan on sending it back to get it richened up a bit more... the DNA filter allows more air through than the K&N it seems
Just before crashing the bike i was starting to get decel popping instead of burbling like usual

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bigdaddybane

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going with EJK first and likely will flash the ECU after the warranty expires. Yamaha shops in Canada could be pretty anal about these modifications ... if discovered warranty will be likely voided. I'm trying to smooth things out just enough to enjoy comfortable ride, gaining power isn't really a my main goal ... at least not now. I totally agree that flash is a better option in many aspects but gotta give a bit more time.

• Global Moderator
Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going with EJK first and likely will flash the ECU after the warranty expires. Yamaha shops in Canada could be pretty anal about these modifications ... if discovered warranty will be likely voided. I'm trying to smooth things out just enough to enjoy comfortable ride, gaining power isn't really a my main goal ... at least not now. I totally agree that flash is a better option in many aspects but gotta give a bit more time.
Try looking around for a used unit?

Wouldnt be surprised if someone on.here is selling
i know @tuninghq has a couple

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Also FYI I was told by my shop that anything that modifies the fueling system violates the warranty. That would include EJK. Maybe they are confused?

2WDW all they way. I rode the bike for about 750 miles with the Yoshi before getting the flash and what a difference. No popping and power is back
Is that to say that when you installed the Yosh pipe you felt you had lost some of the bottom end power/torque?

Beemer

bigdaddybane
Also FYI I was told by my shop that anything that modifies the fueling system violates the warranty. That would include EJK. Maybe they are confused?
I spoke with the guys from my Yamaha shop and they told me EJK, Power Commander and other post ECU communication altering is totally fine ... ECU swap or flush is a big no no. I totally understand why they're saying this, in some cases it could make diagnostic work more difficult. Anyway, EJK can be removed or disconnected at any time. 

Guest 2wheeler

That's one of the things I am concerned about as my warranty is not up until October. I had talked with the warranty guy at my LBS, and he said that the only time it really comes into play is if you blow the motor. After thinking about it, there is a lot to be said for getting either a spare ECU and getting it flashed, or getting the stock one done and if the bike blows, buying a new one at that time. That does raise the question as to whether they have a way to tell if the stock one has been changed - not sure on that one.

You can get a new ECU for around $400 which is chunk of change, but nothing compared to rebuilding a blown motor. Then of course, you can sell the new ECU if and when you sell the bike, and get most of your money back.

2wheeldynoworks

When your warranty is up, we'll be happy to take care of your ecu :) thank you everyone for your support as well.

To address the warranty concerns,

The EJK DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY VOID THE WARRANTY. The dealer would have to prove that the EJK is the direct cause of the issues for which you are bringing in your bike. The burden of proof lies with the dealer, not you. The EJK can be removed at anytime and returned to stock.

A reflash does void the warranty as you are directly modifying the ECU which controls the operations for the entire bike. A dealer has no idea what could have been done when the ECU was reflashed.

For anyone wanting to find out more concerning warranties, Google the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This act protects both consumers and dealers from these grey areas concerning aftermarket goods.

The majority of the performance/driveability gains come from correcting the fueling. That's why for most riders who are just looking to correct the tune up for their exhaust, the EJK is more than adequate.
If your looking for that little extra from timing, then get the reflash. The EJK can compliment the reflash with the EJK's on-the-fly adjustability.

When you resend in your ECU, they are usually only changing the fueling anyway, so why not change the fueling with the EJK and eliminate the down time to send in the ECU.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

Is that to say that when you installed the Yosh pipe you felt you had lost some of the bottom end power/torque?
I did notice a bit of bottom end loss when I installed the exhaust without the flash. Makes sense though, the Yoshi is a pretty free flowing exhaust and you loose some back pressure. 

bigdaddybane

So I ended up with EJK. The install was pretty straightforward with no issues. After those suggested settings were punched in, the bike feels much better. The throttle response is smoother and engine braking is definitely less abrupt than before ... I still need to play with setting but right now I'm running on G (6) Y (7) R (6.5) GB (4.5) YB (5) RB (1). Exhaust popping is almost completely gone. Two thumbs up to Dobeck Performance, they're top notch in customer service, product support and development! I dealt with Brent and he was super helpful ... highly recommended!

Archived