The MT-07 Forum

Need some advise with Yoshi baffle

bigdaddybane

bigdaddybane

Did anyone came across a custom baffle for Yoshi R77 or at least how can be modified? I Google it but nothing helpful came up. After checking the noise levels, there is really no major difference between when it's in or out. I sent a message to Yoshimura and this is the response I've got:

"Thank you for choosing the Yoshimura products. The insert that comes with that exhaust system is the only one we have to work for that system. Some people have taken their inserts and modified them to be a bit more restrictive and help to get the sound to where they like it better. You can try adjusting the sound with different modifications."

AlbatrossCafe
Did anyone came across a custom baffle for Yoshi R77 or at least how can be modified? I Google it but nothing helpful came up. After checking the noise levels, there is really no major difference between when it's in or out. I sent a message to Yoshimura and this is the response I've got: 
"Thank you for choosing the Yoshimura products. The insert that comes with that exhaust system is the only one we have to work for that system. Some people have taken their inserts and modified them to be a bit more restrictive and help to get the sound to where they like it better. You can try adjusting the sound with different modifications."
Well what is your goal? I find it hard to believe there is no difference in volume with it in/out... in all bikes/exhausts I've had there has been a HUGE difference. For my Akra I cut & drilled into the baffle to "customize" it. I wanted the deeper sound that "baffle out" produces but without the extreme volume. Coulda sworn I had some pics somewhere... 
With the baffle was a bit too tame, but with no baffle I felt guilty as it was ridiculously loud for everyone else, not to mention the drone was unbearable without earplugs. I removed the baffle and cut it down on the end by maybe 2 inches so that a little less muffling went on. Then I drilled a few holes in the baffle with a small drill bit so that there was a little more room for air to escape (meaning, if you were to look down the exhaust pipe, you would see the main big hole and 8 or so small holes in the metal "shroud" around it.

I now use it this way (and still wear earplugs). It is a good mix between the volume level of "baffle-in" and the deeper growl/better sound quality of "baffle-out" without being too obnoxious. I would imagine you can do the same with yours, and if you mess up the baffle is probably cheap to replace from Yoshimura or you could get one from another member on this site.

Here is a pic showing how much I cut off the baffle. The arrows point to where I drilled in the "shroud". Don't know where my actual pictures are though:
http://i.imgur.com/3vWqul9.jpg

bigdaddybane

First, that's a one valuable and detailed answer ... thanks for posting. I got to tell you, the decibel difference between straight through and baffle on is trully marginal. My goal is to achieve further noise reduction (not a lot but at least 25%) but keep the deep growl.

AlbatrossCafe
First, that's a one valuable and detailed answer ... thanks for posting. I got to tell you, the decibel difference between straight through and baffle on is trully marginal. My goal is to achieve further noise reduction (not a lot but at least 25%) but keep the deep growl.
Haha I figured you would be trying to make it louder... not many go the other way around. I know Two brothers has the "P1X power tip" and m4 has the "q4 noise insert" but never heard of a silencer for Yoshimura (can these be retrofitted for you?). And like I said I have never tried to make an aftermarket exhaust quieter myself (otherwise I would just keep the stock) so I have no idea. 
My only thought is making the baffle longer somehow. You could weld an inch or two of piping to the end of your current baffle. I know cutting the baffle length down means that the noise spends less time bouncing around in the muffler, so I would imagine extending the length would mean the noise has a harder time escaping right away and would effectively make it quieter.

Archived