The MT-07 Forum

Headlight and Tail Light modulators / flashers

foxk56

I'd like to show this forum the modulators I installed on my FZ-07. I've had modulators on every bike I've owned. I really believe in their ability to make riders more visible. I've had multiple instances of people telling me 'you know your headlight is flashing right' and 'man that headlight flashing is annoying'. I always reply with 'well you saw me right?'. I've witnessed cars begin to pull into the road from a side street to stop again a half second later and watch me go by. A few times cars have even pulled over to the side of the road for me. I don't feel that head and tail light flashers are very common and thus many drivers don't know how to react. Is that a bike cop behind me? I don't care what they think, at least they saw me.

I installed the Kisan P115W-S headlight modulator. If you purchase, select the 'No' when asked if your bike has CANbus. It operates only when your bike is on the high beam setting. It has a daylight sensor that I zip tied to a wire loom to the left side of the key: kng0fH9.jpg
The sensor will not allow the headlight to flash if it's too dark outside, and the setting is adjustable. I have it adjusted to flash in as dim an ambient light setting as possible. The unit is plug and play, it goes in between the headlight bulb and the original plug that connects to it. Video in operation (I tried to stand a good bit away to show how much it grabs your attention at a distance):

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPy4kvDAbGI]  

I also installed the Kisan T50W brake light modulator. If you purchase, select the 'no, I have a 3 wire LED brake light' option. You'll have to splice the yellow wire going to the tail light housing. Kisan supplies the connectors. Very simple and the unit is very compact, probably about 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/2". When you apply the brakes it flashes quickly and then the flashing diminishes in frequency and goes solid after about 4 seconds. Video in operation:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V86Y5iq8EVE]

Installation of both of these took me probably an hour total. Cost is about $150 for both. To me it's well worth the money. Safe® riding!

If it gets you noticed by a cager or a pedestrian and saves either your life or another's who can complain? It's not the same as flashing your high beams, right? Because that is a no-no in Fl.

Beemer

Nice, Any idea how it falls in with the laws?  You said you've had it on every bike you've owned, so I take it you haven't had any issues with the police.  If it doesn't attract attention from the police I may have to add this simple mod to attract attention from everyone else. Thanks

@Beemer indeed it's essentially like the bike is constantly flashing the high beam. But it appears to be a federal law that it's allowable: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm. And if Florida says no, it looks like that's taken care of as well (lower down in the page): "This law prohibits states from forbidding a system that complies with FMVSS 108"

@Redstang4 See my reply to Beemer. No issues ever with police, it appears to be completely within the law

After more thought on it, it seems to me the Fl. law probably isn't referring to flashing your brights in the daytime but specifically at night after dusk when bright lights in the eyes can cause a person to see spots/affect their vision. Even if it does cover the daytime as well we know that cops use their discretion all the time and probably see it as being a safety feature that biker's need to help keep people from turning in front of them, etc. I think they're great! The flashing headlight is a good idea and I especially like how the rear brakes work with it.

Beemer

Good video demo, gets the point across. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on your bike?

Archived