The MT-07 Forum

Slip-ons, fuel controllers, HELP?!?!?!?!

fz074life

OK, so. If I just want to put a sick looking exhaust on, but don't wanna have to deal with power commanders and all that, can I just buy a slip on that will fit and install it and problem solved? And if so, can you guys recommend some decent priced slip-ons that will fit the fz07? 2016.

slipons on the fz07 are not the type of slipons you are thinking of.

The can, collector box, header of the fz07 is one piece. So any slipon for the fz07 requires you to cut the collector box off yourself, and then attach the slipon. What this means is it is more work than a full exhaust, and it is just about the same as a full exhaust because you completely got rid of the collector box (cat and all). The advantage you get from slipons for the fz07 is the savings in price as they are around 400 bucks.  Plus the good thing is the slipons for the fz07 actually sound good unlike other bikes where a slipon barely alters sound from stock

Anyway, let's say you still go for a slipon, the most popular being m4. If you do attach it, you don't necessarily need to use a fuel controller. This is true for all exhausts. Will you downright require a fuel controller to use an aftermarket? No. Would it be in your best interest in the long-run? Yes.

That's about it. Some after markets you will have some loss of torque down low. All aftermarket exhausts will make your bike run leaner, thus, hotter, hence wear your engine down faster. You will also most likely, if not absolutely experience popping/backfire on deceleration. So yes, most people will eventually opt for some type of fuel controller or ECU reflash because it just makes sense in the end.
So can you get away with changing out your exhaust and not getting a fuel controller/reflash?  Yes.  Many people do.  Many people on here do.  I went over a year with a Yoshimura and no reflash.  But I eventually did and also thought to myself why didn't I do it sooner.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

There aren't any slip-ons that won't require cutting the existing exhaust. If you want to take that route, there are a few options like Yoshi M4, Werkes GP.
In my case I went for Yoshi R77 full system and I'm loving it. Maybe consider the Termignoni from Bellissimoto supporting vendors!

http://fz07.org/thread/5221/termignoni-full-exhaust-systems-group

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

10-4. Can you guys explain exactly what I would need if I wanted to get a nice m4 slip on, being OK with cutting or whatever. What else would I need to get to prevent the bike from wearing out faster or not running as good? And which brand of accessories like the Dyna jet or power Commander V or whatever? I haven't done much research on those and as to why they are needed with aftermarket exhausts. Thanks for your help.

Also. Chancho, if I get the Yoshi that you have, what else would I have to get for my bike to be complete as far as exhaust goes.

Your best bet would be an Akrapovic system if you're not going to run a fuel controller, it keeps the same exhaust length as stock so the bike's ECU maintains the stock fuel trims.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Xeon, the only reason I wasn't going to get a fuel controller was for cost, but from what I here, if I'm getting an aftermarket exhaust, I should probably get a fuel controller. I'm just trying to learn about the whole scheme of exhausts and controllers/ re-flashes and that sort. I appreciate all the info though people. Some inexpensive but quality suvvestions are appreciated!!!

No worries! We all have our goals/budgets, thankfully there are multiple ways to get there and at least one will fit your needs. The re-flash and EJK seem to be the most popular choices, though I ended up going with a power commander since I was already familiar with them. Whichever path you choose, the bike sounds awesome with an exhaust, you certainly won't regret it.

I had my Akrapovic Carbon and PCV installed by the dealer before I took delivery and they could not believe that sound came out of the FZ07. This crossplane engine has a wonderfully unique sound for a twin and it will make you smile every time you ride it!

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

So I could just get the akrapovic full exhaust carbon fiber and the dynojet pcfc fuel controller for the fz07 and be all set then?

Actually you would be all set with just the Akrapovic Carbon, no fuel controller is needed with that exhaust since it maintains the same length as the stock exhaust. I added the PCV because I'm rather particular about my power curve but it isn't necessary to keep the bike running within it's stock parameters.

imo if cost is your thing, I'd rather spend 640 bucks on an M4 + EJK instead of just an Akrapovic Carbon for 740.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

bmwpowere36m3
Your best bet would be an Akrapovic system if you're not going to run a fuel controller, it keeps the same exhaust length as stock so the bike's ECU maintains the stock fuel trims.
meh... with my Akra installed, the bike is not running as well (with stock exhaust).  Can smell the richness at idle, hesitation and prone to stalling.  However I was planning an ECU flash already. 

Yeah this dude explains why here

And that answers my entire question. So from the invoice piled together I will get the m4 exhaust, dobeck ejk fuel controller, and get an ECU reflash done, and also remove my air snorkel. Does anyone else have any tips I may be missing from my final decision?

bmwpowere36m3

M4 is probably the loudest pipe for this bike and it'll permanently alter your stock exhaust... just FYI

Yeah I've been researching this, and I guess I will just send my ECU to 2Wheel and have them reflash it, then try the bike out with the new exhaust and the reflashed ECU, then decide if I need to alter it any more. Thanks for your guys input.

• Premium Member
panchobullet
Yeah I've been researching this, and I guess I will just send my ECU to 2Wheel and have them reflash it, then try the bike out with the new exhaust and the reflashed ECU, then decide if I need to alter it any more. Thanks for your guys input.
You're welcome! At least my personal preference aftermarket parts is to "keep" the stocks stored and avoid any "big" modification to stock parts so I went with Yoshi + PCV + DNA Filters and saved all stocks parts in my garage. So if for any reason at any point I decided to sell it I can get it back to stock without much effort and sell/keeps the aftermarket parts that I want. It won't make sense to some but it does for me, plus in case of a crash I have my original parts as spare in case of emergency fix or if I'm not able to get the same parts again if the insurance company doesn't cover them for any reason.

But ultimately all that matters is what's best for you! Research and live test (if possible) is the key here!  ;)

- Pancho

Hey Pancho! You shook hook me up with links to your products so I can review them. Just sayin.....!#$@#$!

• Premium Member
panchobullet
Hey Pancho! You shook hook me up with links to your products so I can review them. Just sayin.....!#$@#$!
Sure dude... Link to them below  :D

Yoshimura R77 Full System Carbon Fiber
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshimura-r77-race-exhaust-system-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

Please notice there are 4 options now for the Yoshi (Stainless Steal & Carbon Fiber in both format - Standard and Works)

Dynojet PCV (PowerCommander V)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynojet-power-commander-v-fuel-ignition-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

DNA Filter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNA-Yamaha-MT-07-High-Performance-Air-Filter-2014-Up-/381587004659?hash=item58d85b9cf3:g:siEAAOSwiylW~YZW

DNA Cover lid
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNA-Yamaha-MT-07-High-Performance-Stage-2-Air-Filter-Box-Cover-Lid-14-16-/381643629653?hash=item58dbbba455:g:-JIAAOSwU1FXP65r

I'm not really sure if those are the absulete best offer for each so if you want to get any of them just search around if there is a better offer available. If you do have any other questions let me know and I'll be glad to help (and if not me sure someone else will be glad to help!)

- Pancho

Hey thanks a lot dude. I heard the Yoshi full system was a pain to get in as far as the headers go. I think I'm still going to go with this one. Not sure yet. But I appreciate your info!!!!!

• Premium Member
panchobullet

Install wasn't a pain in my case. You can check the video from Russian Rider so you get a better idea of the install process. Enjoy!

Archived