The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone modified thier m4 db killer length?

Fearedbynone

Fearedbynone

i know that people are cutting the db killers for other exhausts to tune the sound.

has anyone trimmed down the one for the m4? if so what did you find as far as sound?

i like the sound with the db killer out, but people i ride with say its too loud.

the sound with the db killer in is pretty nice, but its a little raspy at times. i would like to find something in the middle ground of both.

Thanks

Dave

bigdaddybane

I did some research on this ... It seems if you want to tone-down your exhaust, a longer perforated baffle will work the best. Unfortunately it means you need to somehow extend existing baffle by welding an extension. On the other side, shortening the db killer means the sound will spends less time bouncing around in the muffler which results in deeper and louder sound.

Fearedbynone

yes, i want to shorten it for more sound. just not sure how much to cut. i might try and order a new db killer that way if i cut too much off i have a back up plan

Dave

Fearedbynone

i took the db killer out last night, it has an end cap, so cutting it would not really work. i might have to toy with drilling a hole into the end cap.

Dave

AlbatrossCafe

On my Akra Carbon exhaust I cut the baffle length down by about half (cut around 2 inches off). Mine has the "shroud" at the end or "end cap" like I think you are talking about. I drilled a few holes in that part but honestly the clearance there was too small so there are only 4 or 5 1/8" holes which don't make a difference I think. In the pic below the arrows point to where I drilled them:

http://i.imgur.com/3vWqul9.jpg

Cutting the baffle length definitely makes a difference. Don't worry about the "end cap". If we consider "baffle-in" volume at a 0 and "baffle-out" volume at a 10, it puts the volume at about 5.5. The sound quality is closer to "baffle-out" but not an exact match. Basically this is as close as I could make it sound like baffle-out without being too loud for everyone else.

Archived