The MT-07 Forum

DIY Thread

afjbyers

Hey everyone!
I know in other forums in the past some of my favorite threads have been the DIY threads.  I was hoping to get one started here. This is a thread for anything custom that all of you are doing to the bike(not just an oil change or installing a rack). Some great ideas come from these types of threads!  Lets see what everyone is doing to make your bike unique!

• Premium Member

Once my signals are in i'll post up my diy fender eliminator.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Once my signals are in i'll post up my diy fender eliminator.
Awesome, after next payday I will have some projects but that's super secret until I finish it. (Just incase it turns out horrible I don't have to be shamed haha) 

• Premium Member

Yeah I know that feeling. I'm doing a fender eliminator with all 4 turn signals plus led license plate bulbs for $20.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Radiator protector .. I have a plan .. hope to do a good job CHEAP! This is more necessary than anything .. I have some pings in ot already, sure as heck don't want a hole in it. Will post my success .. trying to get the material I need/want.

I did a quick and easy rad guard the other day. Used 1/8 wire mesh and some rivets to the stock plastic side panels. A little black spray paint and done. Not the best looking but works til I can get over the $80 for one that's made for the bike. I put a pic up in the "what did you do to your bike today" thread.

Awesome, this is exactly what this thread is good for. Good DIY's that are original or cheaper than buying the product yourself. Hope this takes off!

• Global Moderator

I made a bracket for a little bluetooth remote so I can control my music while riding. Just a L shaped piece of metal with a hole and velcro. I also took the remote apart and drilled a hole (tricky) so I can use a little security chain. I wanted it to be removable (rain, storage) but I didn't want to loose it when I accidentally bump it off.

IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg

• Global Moderator

It's great. It's less distracting then a song you don't like or a too loud volume.
This all started with an expensive headphone that broke in two, a Bang & Olufsen Form 2. I wasn't warrantied so I ended up with two speakers which I integrated in my helmet. It worked great but I couldn't skip songs or adjust the volume while my phone is in my pocket. I started looking for a remote and the Satechi turned out to be the best choice. I can also be used as a remote for the camera function.

Got a satisfactory mode.  DIY radiator guard.  Material cost under $15 US.  The pic's s/b self-explanatory.  By the way, note the DINGS in my radiator.  This should be high on the list of things to get for your FZ. 

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag212/Jerry_Vezzosi/IMG_1534_zpscf78a4a9.jpg

When I first saw the card board, I thought you were getting ready for serious winter riding. 

Thanks @jerryv took your advice just didmine a little different im a big superhero fan i even have a whole sleeve dedicated to marvel ladies and now my bike with nightwing from dc universe just waiting for my paint to dry to put it all togethor
got all my parts at hobby lobby with use of a 40% off coupon it was only like 11 bucks for the metal and they have different design style grills

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah49/mrmaldo616/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00094_zpst8xdkm66.jpg" 

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah49/mrmaldo616/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00095_zpseo7ktfhq.jpg" 

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah49/mrmaldo616/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140902_222207_zpsfwfmrfhx.jpg" 

NICE JOB JERRY
looks professionally done ill pay you $20 to make me one lol . start a little side job making them $$$$.

MY biggest problem was sourcing the mesh. Found some great stuff, even a local manufacturer, but minimum order was $100. I would have preferred aluminum mesh; you definitely don't want to be careful mixing metals. Galvanized would be bad if it came in contact with our aluminum radiator. The wastebasket I used is epoxy coated steel and I of course painted it too. Was fun, gratifying and will protect it from small stones, etc.

• Global Moderator

Aren't you worried about blocking off too much air? It seems to me that you are reducing your effective surface by more then 50%.

Aren't you worried about blocking off too much air? It seems to me that you are reducing your effective surface by more then 50%.
Yes, definite concern .. will keep an eye on temps and see if the fan comes on too much. The mesh has openings larger than a typical window screen but no way for me to know how much this will hinder airflow; hopefully negligible.

Im wondering about the covering too much space i looked online and could not find anything on covering too much space but would love too know why not to do it i looked up custom radiators for sale and the were some with way more space covered

Well ... in a "real world" run ... commute to work, kids back in school = more traffic.  Bike does run noticeably hotter, so radiator screen will come off until I find a plan "B".   :o

Archived